MDF3530 
Posted: 02-Apr-2008, 11:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I'd have to divide it between U.S., Europe and the rest of the world.

U.S.:
the period leading up to the American Revolution and the signing of the Delcaration of Independence
Civil War

Europe:
Ancient Greece & Rome
5th-6th century Ireland
Rob Roy-era Scotland
William Wallace-era Scotland
the clan wars of Scotland (I'd be rooting for the Maxwells and the MacLachlans biggrin.gif )
King Arthur-era Britain

Rest of the world:
Imperial China
Samurai-era Japan
Jesus' sermon on the Mount
Jesus' crucifixion

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
Eren 
Posted: 11-Apr-2008, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

male

i want to be in all big wars (i hate wars but i want to see them not new ones by the way like troya or something else) or 100.000 AC, space time baby cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 14-Apr-2008, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

QUOTE (jesstuss @ 02-Apr-2008, 08:10 PM)
My first impulse was to jump on thecelticgiraffe's response, but I'll be good and apply it to questions about the entire forum question. As a psychology and communications person, I'd definitely be interested in hearing:
1. what those roles were the sexes are supposed to know
2. when they changed

From everyone else, I'd love to hear (especially the women here becrying the treatment of their gender in previous centuries) which aspects of these roles have changed to the modern day more to your likings.

Sorry, but a blanket statement like that as fact is begging to be challenged.

No fair jesstuss, you jumped line!!! tongue.gif You have to answer the question first, then you can add yours!!! biggrin.gif

I would like to see the period from 1718 thru 1817, New England, USA. I have my gggggggggrandfather who lived to be 99 years old at about this time. From colonial to independent to surviving as a new nation.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
Camac
Posted: 14-Apr-2008, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

UlsterScotNutt;

A question if I may. What would your stance be on New Englands oposition to the War of 1812 and its' continuing trade with British Canada.?

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 14-Apr-2008, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 14-Apr-2008, 01:53 PM)
UlsterScotNutt;

A question if I may. What would your stance be on New Englands oposition to the War of 1812 and its' continuing trade with British Canada.?

Well lets see, The War of 1812 was a messy war based on alot of different things, some true alot false, still a very messy undertaking with mixed political causes.
For New England, it was part economic, part territorial, part historical and part cultural. I will try and address each of those.

Economics, NE was still suffering economically and felt over taxed for what they were getting in return and benefiting tremendously with trade with GB. They sold alot of goods to GB to support their campaigns in Spain and in their war with France. The merchant shipping was huge in NE and the war would distoy this commerce. The bankers of NE were greatly opposed to disturbing this commerce and were very good at marketing this to the industrious NEnglander. Believing their neutrality and willingness to trade with anybody and special treatment by the British who did not blockade NE ports in the beginning of the war. Some say NE was divided in actually talking secession from the union in order to continue trade, though this was not really an issue nor probably true at all. So economics, unfair taxes, disruption of commerce all played a part.

Territorially NE was very separate from the rest of the union and was upset at a central government taking up alot of the states rights and NE states were very upset with this. They were most susceptible to occupation by the British, ex: Maine and were at the forefront of hostilities again. NE felt they should have more control of their own militia and should be supported with more monies and troops.

Historically NE still was populated by fellow Englishmen and felt a brotherhood though independent and as long as older brother GB allowed younger brother to be. Many felt that GB monarchist trying to reestablish the monarchy in France was a good thing since it was the French monarchy that had helped the US become independent. They saw many US supporters in France executed , like the French Admiral who blockaded Charleston, the king and even LaFayette was in exile.

Culturally, many of the now Canadians were actually from NE originally and there were many many family ties cross border. So NEnglanders did not want to go to war again with their brothers. Many also saw an opportunity to teach the southern states that slavery was an abomination. Britain was offering freedom to southern slaves who fought for GB. Bermuda and Trinidad are settled with alot of these slaves who served for GB.

NE was still a very independent minded group, still had ties to GB for commerce and culture and was pissed off at the central government at this time, so some of this was a temper tantrum. This war and NE stance also caused the collapse of the Federalist party which favored trade and industry and banking to the detriment of agricultural and rural needs.

What a messy time, part of the reason I would like to live it. It was a time of new ways of thinking, changes, growth, debates, concepts, so much was on a tipping point. NE must have been very frenetic and alittle shizophrenic at this time.

I probably would have been a typical NEnglander, no war , continue trade.
Camac
Posted: 14-Apr-2008, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

UlsterScotNutt;
My friend a most cognizant stance. It was the War that no-one wanted and ended status quo ante bellum. Walter R. Bourneman wrote a rather good book, (from the American side), 1812 The War that Forged a Nation. I find his choice of title somewhat ironic as it did the same for Canada.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 14-Apr-2008, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

I just love to read all these wonderful posts here very interesting.
And frankly I am quite impress by UlsterScotNutt knowledge of his history. I read alot about the history of England and Europe and ancient civilizations and am almost ashamed to say that I don't read as much from my own country.

All the same, I would like to live the Napoleonic period and the war with the British especially with Wellington or Nelson,both were great gentlemen. LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PMRead My Blog View My Photographs               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 15-Apr-2008, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 14-Apr-2008, 07:30 PM)
UlsterScotNutt;
My friend a most cognizant stance. It was the War that no-one wanted and ended status quo ante bellum. Walter R. Bourneman wrote a rather good book, (from the American side), 1812 The War that Forged a Nation. I find his choice of title somewhat ironic as it did the same for Canada.

Camac.

Camac,
To fight a war and end up with literally nothing changing, well territorially at least. Maybe alittle with Spainish territory. But the war did soilidify the US-CA border, Maine alittle later.
For many in the US this war was a 2nd war of iindependence and for Canada it proved the right and strength of existence. After this, very little has happened between the neighbors. What an extraordinary relationship.

LOA, I would also like to acknowledge Camacs wonderful and knowledgeble question. The world truly is a wondrous place and history from any one place , anywhere in the world is fascinating.

This is a great forum topic.

Somewhere else and time I would like to be is on the Silk Road, Marco Polo time line.
Camac
Posted: 15-Apr-2008, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

UlsterScotNutt;

Thanks for the acknowledgement. If I could not study History I think I would shrivel and die. Another time Period I would like to experience is to march with Xenophon.

Camac.

j Padraig moore 
Posted: 15-Apr-2008, 11:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Wow, what a hard decision. I too, have to split my answer.
N. America
1. Civil War era
2. the 1930's. Yeah, I know, the depression and rise of fascism and all. But I think this would have potential for a really fascinating time trip.
3. early colonial period

Europe
1. definitely the Napoleonic era! I'd be in Spain fighting Boney and singing all the way!!
2. Elizabethan England
3. Victorian Engand

And the one era I'd really like to re-live: the 1980's. Seriously! So much happened in my life in the '80's, I'd love to go back and change/correct so many things.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Apr-2008, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

So glad you all are enjoying the topic. I for one would have love to have lived in so many eras. It really is hard to choose from a female perspective. Would have also loved to lived during the wild west period...........as long as I was a wealthy married woman and not single. It was a much more difficult life otherwise. Pioneer women had horrific life if not wealthy or kept in safety.
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 06-Sep-2008, 04:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I have many favorite periods of time in history but if I had to choose there were two periods left.

One is the 13th century in Europe, especially the time of LLewelyn the Great in Wales.

Or around 1745 in Scotland , and the same period of time in North America, the pioneer times. Hard times for women, I know well, but I would have loved to live there for a while at least.

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
Camac
Posted: 07-Sep-2008, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

One time period would be 5th century BCE and march with Xenophon.

Camac.

greenldydragon 
Posted: 14-May-2009, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

I'd have to agree with gaberlunzie on visiting Wales under Llewelyn smile.gif
But this question is so hard, I'm going to have to follow suit from other people and split the answer! lol
Americas:
1. America Pre-Columbus
2. Olmec Civilization
3. The Seven Year War
Europe:
1. War of the Roses
2. During the reigns of Henry VIII or Elizabeth
3. Spanish Civil War
4. Ancient Greece and Rome

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
MacDonnchaidh 
Posted: 14-May-2009, 08:56 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Stoughton, MA

male

Hmmmmm, so many places to go..... I figure if I had one choice only, then it would be A.D. 1066, about 4 weeks before Hastings. That would give enough time to train Harold's Saxons in the use of a 14th century crossbow (which I happen to have the designs to make one). With such a weapon, combined with the famous Saxon shield-wall, he would have been able to repel the Usurper (William) and ultimately change the history of the entire world.

--------------------
Glory is the Reward of Valour ~ Robertson Motto

For Faith, For Service to Humanity ~ Knights Hospitaller Motto

Am fear is tiuighe clairgeann se ‘s lugha eanchainn.
He who has the thickest skull has the smallest brain.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]