Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Do You Say "keltic" Or "seltic"?, Just curious...
Eiric 
Posted: 02-Sep-2005, 12:27 AM
Quote Post

Son of the Seven Seas and Keeper of the Holy Key
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sweden, but me heart's in Scotland - An t-Suain, ach tha mo chridhe às ann Alba

male

Thank you!

(BTW, Did you know that JRR Tolkien died today 1973! He's my sisters favourite author so she said it this morning...)

--------------------
Anam Ceilteach

About Indigenous Peoples
If you ever needed a Gàidhlig dictionary

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever

Tha gach uile dhuine air a bhreth saor agus co-ionnan ann an urram 's ann an còirichean. Tha iad air am breth le reusan is le cogais agus mar sin bu chòir dhaibh a bhith beò nam measg fhein ann an spiorad bràthaireil

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 16-Sep-2005, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

female

sad.gif
No, I didn't know that was the date... but dang it, he passed away about 2 years before I found out how great his books were. Just like Alexander Calder, the French sculptor who died just a couple of years before I saw his stunning exhibit of mobiles & stabile sculptures at the High Museum in Atlanta. Both of those fellows I wish I could have met.

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 18-Sep-2005, 08:19 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I always pronounce it with a k sound too. I'll even say Boston Keltics just to stir things up a bit sometimes! wink.gif

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
mingkee 
Posted: 25-Sep-2005, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

I sound "k-", even from the very first time I knew the word
when I hear somebody sounds "s-", I am not that comfortable

perhaps my destiny is bound with Celtic, even I don't carry any western blood

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
wicwisworhun 
  Posted: 29-Oct-2005, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

male

well it it k but its some times sounds like s and c but its upto u how u would like to say it

keltic
celtic
selitic

to all keep it tribal

PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Thanks wicwisworhun! I always wondered that also..what how do they say it in Glasgow?

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
celticfire 
Posted: 04-Nov-2005, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

Idle Dreamer
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

female

Keltic, unless you're referring to the current Boston team, which is obviously very Irish-influenced, where people say "Seltic".

--------------------
My heart's in the highlands
My heart is not here
My heart's in the highlands
A-chasing the deer
--Robert Burns

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

Gluais faicilleach le cupan làn.
Go carefully with a full cup.
PMEmail Poster               
Rapunzel5150 
Posted: 22-Nov-2005, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

female

Haha, this is probably one of the most ridiculous conversations, but I still couldn't resist replying. One of the other people mentioned C always being a k sound in gaelic. Which I say is true in Scots gaelic as well as Irish. I am learning Scots Gaelic, my sister the Irish form. Anyway, in Scottish gaelic, C is ALWAYS pronounced as K at the beginning of the word (since they don't have a K letter), example being cup in english. If C is found in any other part of the word (excluding CH, because that's a whole different sound altogether) it is pronounced as chk if it their are broad vowels around it or ch if they are slender vowels. (This gets confusing for me sometimes, having to break the way I THINK it should be said). The only other time the K sound comes up is when g is in the middle of the word and only if it is a broad consonant. S though if it is broad is an S sound in english or an SH sound if it is slender. I am unsure how Irish is, but I think it is similar. I always want to laugh when people say Seltics, I mean I'm from Texas and no one says Fajita or Tortilla wrong unless they are from up north or just trying to be funny. Neither of those words should be pronounced how they are spelled. But anyway, enough of this silly conversation. I have NO idea how the Boston Celtics became seltics, my guess is that someone didn't know how it was pronounced and it just took off from there, since many others apparently didn't either. Although the Websters' Dictionary is probably right, but they only add things into it if it takes hold in language even if it's wrong, just like slang being added in there.

Amy
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 22-Nov-2005, 10:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

QUOTE (Rapunzel5150 @ 22-Nov-2005, 08:36 PM)
Haha, this is probably one of the most ridiculous conversations,

As ridiculous as it may be or people may think that it is, this has been a bone of contention for many for years and will be for may more years to come. I've been in business for over 10 years now. My wife and I named our company 'Keltic Nations' and spelled it that way so that noone would pronounce it 'Seltic'. We didn't count on having to explain the spelling to half of the population, or didn't foresee the snickers coming from the young Irish dancers, after looking at our 8'X4' banner which my wife and I hand painted, and saying, "They misspelled it!!!". We also have never been able to figure out how countless numbers of customers have found their way to our booth at festivals, looked at our sign with the 'Keltic Nations' in a very clear font and about 10 to 12" high, and saying, "Oh!! It's Seltic Nations".

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 23-Nov-2005, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Can't win for losing. It is just unreal how stupid people can be. I've heard some of the bottom of the barrel, believe me.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Kiltedbiker 
Posted: 23-Nov-2005, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

Realm: Alabama Highlands

male

While desiring to get to the point, yet not wishing to offend, the question is how do you pronounce "Celtic." I choose to pronounce it correctly and yet no one seems to be able to offer a definitive answer.

I pronounce it with a hard 'K' sound and have wondered why the Boston basketball team doesn't. I don't care why they do that actually, because I don't care about professional athletics.

I don't like this being left up to a majority vote for popular pronunciation, but time may have lost the answer for those purist seeking a definitive answer.
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 24-Nov-2005, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Kiltedbiker @ 24-Nov-2005, 01:40 AM)
While desiring to get to the point, yet not wishing to offend, the question is how do you pronounce "Celtic." I choose to pronounce it correctly and yet no one seems to be able to offer a definitive answer.

I pronounce it with a hard 'K' sound and have wondered why the Boston basketball team doesn't. I don't care why they do that actually, because I don't care about professional athletics.

I don't like this being left up to a majority vote for popular pronunciation, but time may have lost the answer for those purist seeking a definitive answer.

No offense taken and as for how to pronounce it correctly... either way is actually correct. It ultimately boils down to preference. Dictionaries have both pronunciation where preference is generally given to 'k' over 's', but 's' is still listed as a pronunciation.

Using word origin as a guideline for pronunciation, the origins being from the Greek, 'keltoi' would sway the individual to use the 'k' sound. However, english more than likely didn't take the word from the greek but more than likely from latin, "celticus" or the french "celtique". In latin, 'C' is pronounced as 'k', whereas, in french, we have the 's' sound. Using pronunciation found in gaelic doesn't really figure into the origin of the english word. Although, there are many words that have worked there way into the english language from the gaelic languages, this isn't one of them. To continue with word origins, if we use other words as guidelines, in the english langage, words derived from french or latin starting with 'ce' usually are pronounced with the 's' sound. I'm actually at a loss to think of any that don't but if any of you are inclined to open the dictionary and read, you really have too much time on your hands.

Next, apparently the move to the 'k' sound gained popularity for whatever reason, in the latter half of the 20th century. At this time, dictionaries gave preference to 'kelt' as the pronunciation key (listed first) but before hand, the 's' sound was predominant. This would explain why the football (the real football where the foot is actually used against the ball) club, the Glasgow Celtics pronounce the name with the 's' sound. The Glasgow Celtics were founded in 1888.

Ultimately, nobody is wrong, just some are more irritating about their correctness than others!! Most importantly, whether it is pronounced with a 'k' or an 's' (please, only when it isn't spelled with a K), the Ottawa Senators (pronounced with an 'S' sound), will win the Stanley Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 04-Dec-2005, 12:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Do you see what happens when you try to give a semi-scholarly answer? The thread dies!!! Back to you say tomato, I say tomato (doesn't translate well into print, does it?)!
PMEmail Poster               
ceiligirl 
Posted: 07-Dec-2005, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAsh

Realm: In Gods Country, Grassy Pond....... Gaffney, SC

female

As I understand there is no soft c in the gaelic lang, only hard c's when not by a consanant, ch are like s sometimes a shh sound.

But I might be wrong, any gaelic tongues out there to clarify??
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Keltic 
Posted: 07-Dec-2005, 10:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (ceiligirl @ 07-Dec-2005, 02:41 PM)
As I understand there is no soft c in the gaelic lang, only hard c's when not by a consanant, ch are like s sometimes a shh sound.

But I might be wrong, any gaelic tongues out there to clarify??

This really shouldn't weigh into it since we are speaking english and not gaelic. In addition, the word did not originate from the gaelic.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]