Moon Child 
Posted: 21-May-2005, 01:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

I was just wondering how safe you feel your city or town is that you live in??? I know that no one is ever safe but was just curious if it has impacted your decisions on where to live or raise a family.

I use to think that my city was pretty safe until events like tonight happen. There was a drive by shooting that happened on blocks from where I live!! My mom and I drove by the gas station near my house earlier this evening and saw that the gas station was blocked off by the police and there was a car sitting there with the window blown out of it. My mom told me that she saw it on the news tonight and they said it was drug related.

When things like this happens it really makes me think about the future of when I want to have children and where I will live. I myself grew up in really small towns and was never exposed to any of this until I moved to the city. But I know that even small towns are getting bad for drugs and crime as well. So where are we ever going to be safe not only for ourselves but our families as well??

PMEmail Poster                
MDF3530 
  Posted: 21-May-2005, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

For a large city, Chicago is very safe. There is a strong sense of community in the neighborhoods. We tend to believe in the philosophy of "your problems are my problems".

Chicago, and my neighborhood in particular, was one of the guinea pigs for President Clinton's community policing initiative. The residents, the police department, the ward aldermen and various city departments get together one night a month at various locations (aka church halls and school gymnasiums) to discuss problems in the community. What was kinda suprising was the reponse from the local business community. I guess that, a few "bad apples" aside, they realized a safer community is good business.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 21-May-2005, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Two Rivers, Alaska is generally a very safe community, considering that a typical emergency law enforcement response requires 45 minutes to an hour. Of course nearly everyone in Two Rivers is very well armed. As a consequence most crimes are crimes against property perpetrated when the )(*&^%^&*() is pretty darned certain nobody is at home.

The last assault of any degree I can remember was about four years ago, and that was a typical love-triangle type thing. Of course, the fact that it involved a local politician, firearms and endangered several bystanders did tend to make it stick out in my mind. biggrin.gif

In any event, our little community is good evidence that an armed society is indeed a polite society, or at least a reasonably safe one.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 21-May-2005, 11:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

Safe for the good guys anyway! biggrin.gif That's my kind of town Swanny!

Anyway, my town is fairly safe...at least a lot safer than Baltimore, where I used to live. Bel Air is a nice sized town, but has a lot of farms around it. I live outside of the city limits, and I feel fairly safe letting my 2 boys go outside and play together without having to watch them every single minute. In Baltimore, they weren't outside unless I was out there with them! However, I still think the best place to live is on a nice big farm where your nearest neighbor is a couple miles away! Now that would be the life! cool.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Moon Child 
Posted: 22-May-2005, 12:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

QUOTE (Irish Stepper @ 21-May-2005, 11:27 PM)
However, I still think the best place to live is on a nice big farm where your nearest neighbor is a couple miles away!  Now that would be the life!  cool.gif

I can agree with you on that IrishStepper that's why when I go to buy a house it's going to be outside the city, on a farm or even in a really small town!!

It's weird for me, since I grew up in a small town I had always wanted to live in the city. Now that I'm getting older I want to move back to a small town to raise my kids and for the peace and quiet. How ironic!!! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster                
MDF3530 
  Posted: 22-May-2005, 01:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I'd like to move to a small town too, but the one particular small town I'd like to move to is where the various political leaders are proposing to put a 3rd Chicago area airport sad.gif . It's got all the politicians bickering, and not along party lines either. wink.gif There are Democrats & Republicans who want it (like Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-IL) and north suburban Republican mayors), and Democrats & Republicans who don't (like Chicago mayor Richard Daley and south suburban village boards). Guess you can say both sides are bipartisan. biggrin.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 22-May-2005, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Even crime is in rural areas. I live outside of a small town surrounded by farms ( atleast for now, the property across the road just sold to a developer !) We have the drug problems, lots of burgeleries even have had 3 drive bys in the area in the 19 years I have lived here... you just can't get away from crime it follows people. If the crimenal has a car or truck they can go anywhere they want. Most of us in my community are also well armed...funny it is the homes of those who don't have weapons that get hit the most.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
TetonAndDistrictPerformingArts 
Posted: 01-Oct-2015, 11:13 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacIvy

Realm: South-East Idaho (Idaho Falls)

male

If you look at the FBI stats for my city of 65K, we do pretty good.

We have our fair share of sex-offenders, but, only two murders a year!

Idaho is a conservative state ( minus Boise), we have concealed carry weapons permits, as well as, open carry. I always open carry.

REMEMBER: An armed society, is a polite society!

--------------------
David S. R. Clark, Administrative Sergeant-Major

Burns' Society of the Tetons

Ammon Scottish Festival
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.
Skinner 
Posted: 02-Oct-2015, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: southwest ohio

male

Amen to logical thinking. Gun free zones only disarm the law abiding citizen. Why do you think these shootings happen in the gun free zones?
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]