Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

male

any meade breweres out there
and do ye have any good recipies??? beer_mug.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Madadh 
Posted: 05-Oct-2007, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

Dundee,

My friend, I just happen to have a batch in the secondary coming along just fine. I expect to move it to another carboy this week and then bottle it next month. It should be ready in about 6 to 12 months.

As for a recipe.... I just used a mix from northeastern brewers for this first batch. I am looking to get either 12 lbs of Scottish Heather honey or maybe some buckwheat honey to try for my next batch.

I just use 12 lbs honey, 5 gal of water, 1 pkg 4632 Dry Mead yeast, and 5 tlbs yeast nutrient.
Let it ferment for a month, shift it to a secondary for three months, bottle and age fro 6 to 12 months.

When this current batch is ready we should get together and kill a bottle.

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Shadows 
Posted: 05-Oct-2007, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Try this:

Here is a recipe for making Meade ( Honey Wine, Metheglin) or whatever name you know it by that dates to 1669.

A Receipt to make Metheglin as it is made at Liege

Take one Measure of Honey, and three Measures of Water, and let it boil till one measure be boiled away, so that there be left three measures in all; as for Example, take to one Pot of Honey, three Pots of Water, and let it boil so long, till it come to three Pots. During which time you must Skim it very well as soon as any scum riseth; which you are to continue till there rise no scum more. You may, if you please, put to it some spice, to wit, Cloves and Ginger; the quantity of which is to be proportioned according as you will have your Meath, strong, or weak. But this you do before it begin to boil. There are some that put either Yeast of Beer, or Leaven of bread into it, to make it work. But this is not necessary at all; and much less to set it into the Sun. Mr. Masillon doth neither the one nor the other. Afterwards for to Tun it, you must let it grow Luke warn, for to advance it. And if you do intend to keep your Meathe a long time, you may put into it some hopps on this fashion. Take to every Barrel of Meathe a Pound of Hops without leaves, that is, of Ordinary Hops used for Beer, but well cleansed, taking only the Flowers, without the Green-leaves and stalks. Boil this pound of Hops in a Pot and half of fair water, till it come to one Pot, and this quantity is sufficient for a Barrel of Meathe. A barrel at Liege holdeth ninety Pots, and a Pot is much as Wine quart in England. (I have since been in formed from Liege, that a Pot of that Countrey holdeth 48 Ounces of Apothecary's measure: which I judge to be a Pottle according to London measure, or two Wine-quarts.) When you Tun your Meath, you must not fill your Barrel by half a foot, that so it may have room to work. Then let it stand six weeks slightly stopped; which being expired, if the Meath do not work, stop it up very close. Yet must you not fill up the Barrel to the very brim. After six Months you draw off the clear into another Barrel, or strong Bottles, leaving the dregs, and filling up your new Barrel, or Bottels, and stopping it or them very close.

The meath that is made this way, (Viz. In the Spring, in the Month of April or May, which is the proper time for making of it,) will keep many a year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipes from The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelme Digbie Kt Opened: Whereby is Discovered Several ways for making of Metheglin, Sider, Cherry-Wine, &c. together with Excellent Directions for Cookery: As also for Preserving, Conserving, Candying, &c. First edition, London, 1669.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 05-Oct-2007, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Another:

Another Mead recipe, this one from 1803:

To make Mead.
To thirteen gallons of water, put thirty pounds of honey, boil and scum it well, then take rosemary, thyme, bay-leaves, and sweet-briar, one handful altogether, boil it an hour, put it into a tub, with a little ground malt; stir it till it is new milk warm; strain it through a cloth, and put into the tub again; cut a toast, and spread it over with good yeast, and put into the tub also; and when the liquor is covered over with yeast, put it up in a barrel: then take of cloves, mace and nutmegs, an ounce and a half; of ginger, sliced an ounce; bruise the spice, tie it up in a rag, and hang it in the vessel, stopping it up close for use
Emmet 
Posted: 08-Oct-2007, 01:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

Mine is 12 lbs. honey (preferably orange blossom) in 5 gal. water, boiled in an enamel pot until the waxy froth stops coming up to be skimmed off, stirred constantly so it doesn't scorch. Poured through 25' of copper tubing coiled in a bucket of ice, sprinkled with champaign yeast, and sealed under an airlock, racked a couple of times over a year, then bottled. It clears naturally without finings, and makes a fine mead.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 18-Dec-2007, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

NOt sure where this came from, found it while looking through an old hard drive. My appologies to anyone who may have it copywrited:

Small Mead

Take nine pints of warm fountain water, and dissolve in it one pint of pure White-honey, by laving it therein, till it be dissolved. Then boil it gently, skimming it all the while, till all the scum be perfectly scummed off; and after that boil it a little longer, peradventure a quarter of an hour. In all it will require two or three hours boiling, so that at last one third part may be consumed. About a quarter of an hour before you cease boiling, and take it from the fire, put to it a little spoonful of cleansed and sliced Ginger; and almost half as much of the thin yellow rind of Orange, when you are even ready to take it from the fire, so as the Orange boil only one walm in it. Then pour it into a well-glased strong deep great Gally-pot, and let it stand so, till it be almost cold, that it be scarce Luke-warm. Then put to it a little silver-spoonful of pure Ale-yest, and work it together with a Ladle to make it ferment: as soon as it beginneth to do so, cover it close with a fit cover, and put a thick dubbled woollen cloth about it. Cast all things so that this may be done when you are going to bed. Next morning when you rise, you will find the barm gathered all together in the middle; scum it clean off with a silver-spoon and a feather, and bottle up the Liquor, stopping it very close. It will be ready to drink in two or three days; but it will keep well a month or two. It will be from the first very quick and pleasant.

11 pints water
1 T peeled, sliced fresh ginger (~1/4 oz)
1/2 t yeast
1 pint honey = 1 1/2 lb
1/2 T orange peel

Dissolve the honey in the water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Let it boil down to 2/3 the original volume (8 pints), skimming periodically. This will take about 2 1/2 to 3 hours; by the end it should be clear. About 15 minutes before it is done, add the ginger. At the end, add the orange peel, let it boil a minute or so, and remove from the heat. The orange peel should be the yellow part only, not the white; a potato peeler works well to get off the peel. Let the mead cool to lukewarm, then add the yeast. The original recipe appears to use a top fermenting ale yeast, but dried bread yeast works. Cover and let sit 24-36 hours. Bottle it, using sturdy bottles; the fermentation builds up considerable pressure. Refrigerate after three or four days. Beware of exploding bottles. The mead will be drinkable in a week, but better if you leave it longer.

This recipe is modified from the original by reducing the proportion of honey and lengthening the time of fermentation before bottling. Both changes are intended to reduce the incidence of broken bottles. Using 2 liter plastic soda bottles is unaesthetic, but they are safer than glass.

dundee 
Posted: 18-Dec-2007, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

man i hate when i start a post and then totally forget about it.... must be the old age....
madadh.... i think killing a bottle would be a fine thing.... *nods...

shadow thanks for the recipes... me thinks the aging process is going to be tough to do.... even though your recipes dont take much aging...

fondly thinking back the bunratty i had in the fall....
Madadh 
Posted: 19-Dec-2007, 02:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Dundee,

Bunratty is fine, but they cut it with a white grape wine. You should look around and see if you can find a local winery that makes a mead with just honey.

I will be bottling my mead next month so after the summer it should start to taste really good.

Hope to have a chance to share a bottle with you. biggrin.gif
Madadh 
Posted: 29-Jan-2008, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Dundee,

I am sitting here with my second batch of mead in the primary. This time I have used 12 pounds of buckwheat honey and 5 gallons of water. I hope to split this batch into two three gallon batches. I will take one and add blackberries to it.

Should be ready in about 6 months and just fine in a year. Hope we can tip a few bottles some day
dundee 
Posted: 29-Jan-2008, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

sounds good to me ol timer.. *L* thumbs_up.gif
someday i will try to find time and room to try it.

and i am glad you said tip a FEW bottles.. angel_not.gif
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]