Posted: 03-Apr-2008, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

That's right. In Oregon a Fire officer was fired because he couldn't speak Spanish. This angers me BAD! A majority of America speaks English. Shouldn't English be the requirment? If this isn't a violation of civil rights, I don't know what is.

Link

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/nationalne...390/detail.html

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Camac
Posted: 03-Apr-2008, 07:20 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

nmova Scotian

Same problem here in Canada you cannot get a job in certain sectors unless you are bi-lingual (French/English).

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 03-Apr-2008, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

The only places in Mexico where you hear English are the tourist areas and that is because of the dollar. In most of the country you are out of luck. We need to adopt their immigration rules. If we did, very few of them would come here illegally.

Slàinte,    

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 06:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 03-Apr-2008, 08:20 PM)
nmova Scotian

Same problem here in Canada you cannot get a job in certain sectors unless you are bi-lingual (French/English).

Camac.

Yes. I know that well from my cousins. Espically the ones that live in New Brunswick. In Nova Scotia it happens as well but NS remains for what I've seen for the most part English.
PMEmail Poster                
John Clements 
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 06:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (Nova Scotian @ 03-Apr-2008, 07:35 PM)
That's right. In Oregon a Fire officer was fired because he couldn't speak Spanish. This angers me BAD! A majority of America speaks English. Shouldn't English be the requirment? If this isn't a violation of civil rights, I don't know what is.

Link

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/nationalne...390/detail.html

If you want to live and work in this country you should learn to speak the language of the land, (not the other way around), but then we seem to do every thing backwards these days, don’t we. Maybe an effort on both sides of this issue should be maid?
Hasta lavista, Nova

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 07:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

I don't know about everyone else but I think it's about time English is made the official language. Dispite Harry Reid saying it's raciest. HMMMMMM! Who's lining his pocket? Most Hispanics I know, and believe me I know alot living is Florida, most if not all agree English needs to be the official language. thumbs_up.gif Que Pasa! to you JC! LOLOL tongue.gif Hope I spelled it right!
PMEmail Poster                
Camac
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

I was under the impression that a year or two ago your congress passed a law making English the official language of the U.S. I can't remember the details but it seemed there was some sort of dispute over language in the south- west part of your country or maybe even california. unsure.gif

Camac

Nova Scotian 
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 04-Apr-2008, 08:46 AM)
I was under the impression that a year or two ago your congress passed a law making English the official language of the U.S. I can't remember the details but it seemed there was some sort of dispute over language in the south- west part of your country or maybe even california. unsure.gif

Camac

I don't think it was brought to a vote but it was brought up. I don't know for sure but it sure sounds like something Califorina would have a problim with. Harry Reid called it raciest.
PMEmail Poster                
Camac
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Nova Scotian;

Who's Harry Reid?

Camac.

Nova Scotian 
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 04-Apr-2008, 10:26 AM)
Nova Scotian;

Who's Harry Reid?

Camac.

He's a very controversial senator from Nevada
PMEmail Poster                
Camac
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Nova Scotian;

did a quick read on Sen. Harry Reid. See why you say controversial. Many countries have offical language acts and I don't think they consider it racist. The problem is when people use such acts to push forward an agenda of "Political Correctness" a phrase, in my opinion, that should be struck from the English Language.

Camac.

Nova Scotian 
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 04-Apr-2008, 11:44 AM)
Nova Scotian;

did a quick read on Sen. Harry Reid. See why you say controversial. Many countries have offical language acts and I don't think they consider it racist. The problem is when people use such acts to push forward an agenda of "Political Correctness" a phrase, in my opinion, that should be struck from the English Language.

Camac.

Camac:
I havn't agreed with much you've said before but we are definatly on the same page here. Political Correctness does need to go and go fast. That's one big problem and a lot of folks, saddly, think it's a solution.
PMEmail Poster                
stoirmeil 
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Wait a minute, wait. I agree that firing the firefighter was lame-brained -- how many of those wonderful guys have we got to throw away like that? BUT -- it is not a bad idea to provide some very basic, relevant language training to firefighters, and not just in Spanish, depending on the local populations, so when they go out on a call, the people they mean to rescue can take some urgent directions they can understand. Everyone, including the firefighters themselves, will be safer that way. No? It's not a question of sensitivity or PC, but safety, as I see it. Or -- do you say to a new immigrant family whose English is dicey -- if you can't understand me, sorry but you'll have to sit up there and burn.
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 04-Apr-2008, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 04-Apr-2008, 04:15 PM)
Wait a minute, wait. I agree that firing the firefighter was lame-brained -- how many of those wonderful guys have we got to throw away like that? BUT -- it is not a bad idea to provide some very basic, relevant language training to firefighters, and not just in Spanish, depending on the local populations, so when they go out on a call, the people they mean to rescue can take some urgent directions they can understand. Everyone, including the firefighters themselves, will be safer that way. No? It's not a question of sensitivity or PC, but safety, as I see it. Or -- do you say to a new immigrant family whose English is dicey -- if you can't understand me, sorry but you'll have to sit up there and burn.

I got it! I got it! HAND SIGNALE! People give me them every day.
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 10-Apr-2008, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

WHOA !!!!!!!!! Has anybody read the linked article?????????????

stoirmeil comes closest to the issue at hand.

Official lanquages and mandatory english speaking are radically different things than the article is addressing.
The State of Oregon could only find and hire hispanic firefighters and made the bosses requirements to meet the language at hand. Firefighters ALWAYS put safety first. You want to talk about politically correct, thats what you are pushing with one language requirement. Ried's statement of racism is extreme in my view, but that is another story to this one.
The State of Oregon could have waited and hired only english speaking firefighters as a requiremnet to meet the fire seasons needs , but that is not reality.
The fire boss was unable to met the safety requirements of the fire companies needs, so he was replaced and put in a position more suitable to his abilities. This was viewed as a demotion. Everyone , in every job needs to maintain and upgrade their skill sets to meet the needs and requirements of their job description and to stay on a growth and promotion path. This is no different.

You can now then add the greater overview to this article.

You want to talk about official language or single language or mandatory english requirements ? Immigration, illegal aliens, lost or displaced jobs, minimum wage, citizenship, cross border commerce, NAFTA, political correctness, unfulfilled jobs, etc?

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]