Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Where Did The Celts Origionally Come From?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Jun-2005, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

sorry to post a new topic, but I was asked this question and could not answer. I have read some of the threads in here, but I don't see where the Celtic people orginally came from. Can someone answer this question for me so I can pass it along to my mother in law? Is the answer in here already and I just missed it somehow? unsure.gif Many thanks!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 04-Jun-2005, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Rose, an article Paul posted here might be a good place to start for you. You'll find it here:
http://www.celticradio.net/php/forums/inde...?showtopic=2261.

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
Viriato 
Posted: 05-Jun-2005, 06:23 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: In a boat in the North Hebrides

male

Hi there!

I am the new "kid in the block" from Galiza (Cail-laech?).

I'm mad about my roots I since I moved to UK I'm discovering that we got it all wrong. We always thought that we came from Eire, but I've discovered that is the other way roung. Is it? Unfortunately lost the gaelic language and we speak that variation of Portuguese that they insist in calling "language" but most of the geographical names still are sheer gaelic, including Galiza and Galego (Galeg of Gailaech).

I've found the follosing link long time that I have in personal website (which at the moment -for some reason- is not working. I'm waiting an answer from my host company):

http://members.tripod.com/~Breogan/celtic.htm

So, What is the truth? Were we come from?

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
Tino, àn Gaileach

"It is better Honour without ships than ships without Honour"
- Admiral Méndez Núñez
PMEmail Poster               
Viriato 
Posted: 05-Jun-2005, 06:27 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

male

Sorry!

By the way

How can I edit the post when I realise that is full of mistakes and has been already posted?

I can't find where...

Sorry about the mess. I hope that can be understood...
PMEmail Poster               
dfilpus 
Posted: 05-Jun-2005, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

QUOTE (Viriato @ 05-Jun-2005, 09:27 AM)
Sorry!

By the way

How can I edit the post when I realise that is full of mistakes and has been already posted?

I can't find where...

Sorry about the mess. I hope that can be understood...

Welcome to the forums.

The typos are okay. We all have submitted posts with major typos.

You need to be a Founder before you can edit posts after submitting. This requires a bit of money, but it does support this excellent community/

You can Preview the post before submitting it by the Preview button next to the Add Topic or Add Reply button.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
Aaediwen 
Posted: 06-Jun-2005, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Exactly where the Celts came from is not known. Unless I'm mistaken, there was a migration of culture from the area of what is now Turkey, up through Europe, and eventually as far as the isles we've come to associate with the word "Celt" As a result, at one time, most of Europe would have been Celtic lands, with what is now Ireland, Scotland, and England being some of the youngest. Then you had the Romans who came in and slapped their name on everything except for Ireland. Again, the Isles being the last, they had less time before the fall. Also, since Rome never decided to take Eire, that remained as a refuge for Celtic culture under a Celtic name until the Normans came along later.

As a result of all this, The isles may have out Celtic associations by virtue of being the last on both ends. It seems the Celts themselves can be traced backwards from the isles, south east across Europe (possibly to Messopitamia) However, for the research I've found so far, any claims further back than Germany are speculation. It was when I started seeking the question of where the Celts came from, that I found history and mythology mixing, leading back to the Thutha de Danann, and from there indicating devine creation, Atlantis, or a couple other ideas.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Viriato 
Posted: 06-Jun-2005, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

male

Ta dfilpus for your "fàilte" and the information.

I've got the message.

Hi aaediwen

Yes... Your comments seems to be in line with the link of my post, but more I read -and since I am in UK I have managed to build up a substantial library- more messy becomes, what makes it more appealing.

Perhaps one of these days we find something...
PMEmail Poster               
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 07-Jun-2005, 10:56 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

Realm: North Carolina

female

From what I've read, the first culture that can verifiably be labelled "Celtic" was the Halstatt Culture which flourished around 700 BC and was succeeded by the La Tene Culture which lasted from about 500 BC until the coming of the Romans. Both of these cultures thrived in Austria, Switzerland, parts of Germany, the Czech Republic, and the Slovak Republic.

Before the Iron Age Halstatt Culture, there was a Bronze Age culture in that area called the Urnfield Culture (c. 1200 BC). There is much debate as to whether or not the Urnfield people can be termed "Celtic" or not. From archaeological evidence, it has been determined that the Halstatt Culture evolved in peaceful succession from the Urnfield, which, in turn, had evolved from the preceding culture.

So, generally, the homeland of the Celtic peoples was located, approximately, at the headwaters of the Rhine and the Danube, both of which have Celtic names. From the there, the Celts spread out across Europe in all directions, advancing, though sparsely, even into parts of Poland and the Ukraine.
PMEmail Poster               
bigjimhainey 
Posted: 07-Jun-2005, 11:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: South Mississippi

male

Everything that i have read about the celts also starts about the area that is now germany. Ive never seen anything that says where it came from before they moved to germany, but it hinted that they might have come from further east or southeast ,but there was no actual proof of it.

--------------------
ERIN GO BRAGH

Beware the Celtic Storm

Big Jim Hainey
CelticRoz 
Posted: 26-Jun-2005, 02:16 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thank you everyone for your feedback! Gosh! there are so many different versions to study from.

Gabby, thanks for the link. I copied that as well. Somehow I had missed that. Thanks!
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 26-Jun-2005, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,931 Gold!

I've read that the Beaker people (same as Urnfield, I think) were spread across Northern Europe. A new culture, the Battle Axe people, (I'm not kidding, that is their name) migrated into Europe from the Russian steppes. These two cultures merged in central Europe (the areas of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, and the Slovak Republic) to form the Celtic people. The Celts then developed (as mentioned by Immortal Avalon) the Halstatt Culture and then the La Tene Culture. These cultures then spread throughout Europe in an arc from the British Isles to Galatia.

The ancient Celts were noted for their high level of learning. Most tutors employed by Greeks for the benefit of their children were Celtic. Then with the rise of the Roman Empire, the Celts were conquered. What Celtic culture did survive was at the fringes of Europe where the Romans did not conquer. It is important to remember that the Celts were never a nation or empire as such, but a large grouping or loose association of tribes and peoples who shared the same culture and language. There is some debate as to whether or not they were all the same genetic grouping. (I would say "race", but that term has become very pejorative.)

Please understand also that these two paragraphs are condensing one to two thousand years of history and development. A good site for background is http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/skyelander/menu14.html .

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
Viriato 
Posted: 03-Aug-2005, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

male

I've just found this link...

http://www.gallica.co.uk/celts/timeline.htm
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Aug-2005, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Pretty interesting info there to all of you. thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif
Maddie 
Posted: 13-Aug-2005, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacBirch

female

Celts belong to the indogermanic tribes means they came from the East. The race were called the "Keltoi" (later "Celts") and they inhabited much of central Europe. Over the centuries branches of these "Keltoi" made incursions into surrounding regions. Central Turkey was one such and they are identified as the "Galatians" in the New Testament - a modification of "Keltoi". Another group, moving westward, crossed the sea and established itself in Ireland. Their tribal name was "Goidal", from which "Gaelic" has emerged. Afterwards they crossed over to Scotland and the Hebrides. Unfortunaltely the Picts drove the Scottish group back. Later, another group, called the "Brythons" (giving "Britons") secured domination over much of the north-west (later known as "Strathclyde"), Wales and the South-West. The Romans who occupied most of this Island, naming it Britannia - the Brythons being the first Keltoi they encountered. They were, however, unable to get far into Scotland and made negligible process in Ireland. In 500 A.D. the Romans abandoned Britain, which soon after fell under the domination of Anglo-Saxon invaders from northern Europe. Around the same time the Scottish groups managed to re-conquere Scotland.
The Germanic tribes pushing before Christ from the East had named the Celts Welshe = strangers. Again later when the Anglo Saxons met Brythons and called them Welsh = aliens.

Well, in Scottish Gaelic the Lowlands are Galldachd = land of Strangers.
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 15-Aug-2005, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

some interesting tidbits smile.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]