Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How Far Back..., ...have you traced your family?
ronw1 
Posted: 23-Dec-2005, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: tulsa ok

male

family is from england, and from what info i have been able to get i come from the line of stuckley westcott's of 1600 rhode island and back to devonshire england, my cousin shows the line back to a ledger de westcote about 1100's with royal blood line of richard the lionhart king.gif do to marriage. can not hold the latter as true for i have not seen what his folder holds even after offering to pay for copies.
PMEmail Poster               
myaleigh 
Posted: 10-Jan-2006, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Ye Ole Georgia

female

Depends on the line. Relatives on my Mom's Mom's side were not fond or did not see the point of sharing family history so we've only been able to trace back for a couple of generations.

We traced my Mom's Dad's family back 7 generations to 1678 Wales and if we can ever discover who my ancestors' parents are may go back further.

Now my Mom is spending her free time writing down every kernel of family history she gathers and sharing family stories so my kids will have something to go by. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Boadiccea 
Posted: 24-Jan-2006, 10:10 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Asheville, NC

female

On my dad's side of the family I have traced all the way back to 1175 in scotland.

--------------------
~Slainte Mhath~
PMEmail Poster                
Sekhmet 
Posted: 24-Jan-2006, 11:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

QUOTE (ronw1 @ 23-Dec-2005, 09:02 PM)
family is from england, and from what info i have been able to get i come from the line of stuckley westcott's of 1600 rhode island and back to devonshire england, my cousin shows the line back to a ledger de westcote about 1100's with royal blood line of richard the lionhart king.gif do to marriage. can not hold the latter as true for i have not seen what his folder holds even after offering to pay for copies.

...so you're related to Berengaria of Navarre? Nifty!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
DJ Sapphira 
Posted: 21-Feb-2006, 02:48 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

female

On my mother's side, I have traced her father's surname to 14th century Kent, Britain (Estes). On her parental grandmother's mother's side, it has been traced to 17th century Fife (Rymer). On her parental gradmother's father's side, it has been traced to pre-Viking conquest (Mac Gobhainn), but was changed upon entrace to Ireland from Scotland (O'Gowan), and then changed again upon entrance to the States (Smith). On my mother's mother's side, it has been traced to 18th century London (Wilson), and 17th century lowland Scotland (Holyfield) (where exactly unknown.)

On my father's side, I have it traced back 2 generations. All I know is that my grandfather was born in Scotland, with a supposedly Irish surname (MacRae), and upon entrance to the states, shortened it (Crae), then had my grandmother.

SO yes, I'm quite confused as to what to call myself... I usually just say Scottish. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 21-Feb-2006, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

well depending on which side:

the snowdon side came from kennet clackmannan, scotland,james sr was born in 1791.he was superintendent of lord elgin's coal mines in scotland
there are two entries for the snowdon crest one is a horse,described as follows:
snowdon, english, on a mount,vert,a horse,current,bridled,sable
translated into idiot:a black bridled horse galloping over a green hill.

the campbell side sort of dropped into being in the early 1801 when one alexander campbell sr born in county derry,ireland then in 1821 came to canada by way of the states...talk about lots of campbells and then even more alexanders!!!! he was 2nd husband to a lady waugh of garigill,cumberland co.england

the mc gregor side is still much of a mystery, margaret elizabeth mc gregor was born 1869 in huntington,que daughter of james mc gregor

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
ridgeback77 
Posted: 20-Mar-2006, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Peoria, IL

male

On my father's side I have only been able to go back 5 generations. The couple in question were both of German/Prussian descent. On my mother's side I have information tracing my maternal grandmother's family back to the late 1700's, again in Germany. Its my maternal grandfather's family that I get my Celtic roots from, but the information has been difficult to find. At some time in the last 15 years his family Bible has been lost or was destroyed and all of the records with it.
PMEmail Poster               
ontrose1969 
Posted: 14-Jun-2006, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Graham, WA USA

male

I was able to track back to about 700 A.D. My Great Great Great Grandmother's family was from Irish royalty and I was able to trace her lines back that far because royalty has been fairly well documented. I could probably go further back than that, but the research starts getting suspect and I haven't been able to verify it yet.

--------------------
I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
zeryx 
Posted: 24-Jul-2006, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Dunfermline ~ Scotland

female

My father started off the research some 25 years ago and when his sight failed he passed the reins over to me. We are back in the early 1800s where we've struck a block ... the census we're needing to view exists but is not readable - back then they were written in pencil and didn't scan in well onto microfiche ... I'm still waiting for the LDS to put them into digital format and hopefully they'll be good enough to get our next link smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image

Friends are like quiet angels who lift our feet when our wings forget how to fly
CelticRadio 
Posted: 25-Jul-2006, 08:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,496 Gold!

The furthest back we can go is to late in 1770 - Hugh MacArthur would be my GGGGGGGG father. Here is a little excerpt:

"Late in 1770 a Scottish ship named Annabella sailed from Campbelltown
which is located near the tip of the Kintyre peninsula in Scotland. 200
Scots were aboard. Included were MacArthurs, MacDougalls, McIntoshes,
McKays, McKenzies, McLaughlins, Montgomerys & Ramsays. Passengers thought
they were going to North Carolina but were sent to St John (now Prince
Edward Island) at Malpeque Bay. During a storm Annabella was wrecked &
colonists provisions & tools were lost. With the help of indians they
survived the first winter. Then with help from Acadians they began
building & clearing land for potatoes. It became the second largest
community on Prince Edward Island. Hugh McArthur was aboard Annabella.
His wife is unknown. Most New England McArthurs are descended from Hugh
of the Annabella."

This storm that wrecked the Annabella is actually mentioned in a number of weather journals I located from that time period. Must have been a really big storm.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 31-Jul-2006, 05:46 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Paul, this is very interesting to me because one of my g-grandmothers is a McArthur as well. My cousins have researched her more than I have and claim she came from Scotland, although I have no written proof of it all! unsure.gif
Shadows 
Posted: 31-Jul-2006, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Here is an exerpt from the family genealogy I am working on... this is the last documented relative I have been able to "dig up" on my mothers side!

Eighteenth Generation
115. Wyllyam (18) GARDYNYR was born in Midlands, Oxfordshire, England 1450. Wyllyam died 1495 in The Bank, Surrey, England, at 45 years of age.

He married Helen TUDOR in London, England, 1485. Helen became the mother of William GARDINER in London, England, 1488.

At 38 years of age Wyllyam became the father of William GARDINER in London, England, 1488. Wyllyam's wife Helen Tudor was first cousin to Henery VII, as found on Betham's Genealogicl Table DCX in Guildhall Library, London, England.

Here is a list of the Sir names I have so far:

Bechtel, Boarman, Boone, Bowerman, Craycroft, Custer, Dyer, Eppeli, Eppley, Fields, Gardiner, Gardynyr, Green, Gwynn, Hame, Hatton, Kline, Kuster, Layman, Luce, Mac Ewen, MacEwen, Mayse, McCann, Miller, Mitchell, Neale, Nicholson, Prowell, Smyth, Toland, Tudor, Walker, Weire

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Aug-2006, 03:26 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

hey Shadows! I have Walkers in my family as well! Tudor, eh? You might be royalty then. wink.gif
Shadows 
Posted: 09-Aug-2006, 03:41 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 09-Aug-2006, 05:26 AM)
hey Shadows! I have Walkers in my family as well! Tudor, eh? You might be royalty then. wink.gif

Well my wife has always said I am a "ROYAL" pain in the ass....LOL!!!!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 11-Aug-2006, 10:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

I traced my natural dads family back to Casper Broemer a blacksmith from Saxe?-Weimer, Germany in the 1840's One of his son's (Christian Theodore) married a Emma Solomon from Cornwall.One of their son's (Christian Fredrick) married a Harriette Kelly(daughter of Robert Kelly and Mary van Stone). Haven't been able to find oout were Robert & Mary were born but I sure wish I knew because it would be another Celtic connection. One of their sons Edward married Priscilla Laity (another Cornwall surname). One of their son's Harlan married? my mom a Constantini (Italy). I married my wife Sarah.

She can trace her ancestry back to Germany and Ireland. Is there a trend here?
She is desended from aWolphert Gerretse Van Kouwenhoven German side and the Reynolds family (Irish/Scottish?). As a result of the Reynolds connection she is also linked to the Conover family which means she has a ton of famous cousins. I get a small farm in Italy and a blacksmith in germany-she gets G. Bush, Roosevelt, Nixon, the Wright Brothers, and somehow decended from a Adam Linn (1802-1880) Laird of Loch Linn who married Ann Elizabeth Schenck fifth cousin og Pres. William G. harding.. The family castle Nydeggen built in 1246 is still there in the Duchy of Gelre or Gelderland (Germany near the Dutch border).
Boy, do I feel inadaquete biggrin.gif

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]