Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mayberry?
myriad 
Posted: 06-Nov-2003, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (myriad @ Nov 4 2003, 08:49 PM)
We will never have Mayberry, because Mayberry never existed.  For example, here are a list of social issues... I want someone to try to guess the year and city that these occurred in.  I will give the answer in a couple of days but I hope to get some responses first. 

High Divorce Rates                        Kids with guns
Gangs                                          Horrible Economy
Drug & Alcohol problems                Assassinations
Bombing                                      Political Terrorists

However we can have better.  We can chose to do things for our neighborhoods to help. 

Well, nobody wanted to take a guess at this but the anwer was Chicago 1890. Sounds a lot like today. Some people use the things from this list to say that our world is getting worse. It is just becoming more publicized. Anyway, I will stop boring you all with this.

I would like to reiterate that we can help our communities even if we can't achieve mayberry. Have a great day!

Mary
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 06-Nov-2003, 08:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ Nov 6 2003, 01:19 PM)
Hey guys. This perfect world you're looking for exists. It's called Nova Scotia. wink.gif

OK, oldraven, We're all moving to Nova Scotia. Will it still be perfect then?

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 06-Nov-2003, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Nov 6 2003, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (Annabelle @ Nov 5 2003, 06:19 AM)
Elspeth there is a little subdivision developed by the Disney Corp called Celebration.  It is right off of Hwy 192...It looks picture perfect..the houses look similar but each a little different in Victorian styling...you pay a fee each year and everyone gets their yard cut on the ssame day so everyone's yard looks the same...the grass is the same level in the whole neighborhood..
although it looks perfect, town square, community playground everything, there is no way the rest of the world is going to go away...
those that live there live with the same dangers that are in our world today...it's nice to wish for but unrealistic...
If you find it, call me and I'll move too!
Annabelle

Here is where people differ...that sounds like a nightmare to me. I would hate for everything to be the same. blink.gif

I agree Raven Wing. It sounds like a Stepford town to me. I would be compelled to paint my house fuchia and puce and dig up my front lawn and plant pototoes.
Elspeth 
Posted: 06-Nov-2003, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (myriad @ Nov 6 2003, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (myriad @ Nov 4 2003, 08:49 PM)
We will never have Mayberry, because Mayberry never existed.  For example, here are a list of social issues... I want someone to try to guess the year and city that these occurred in.  I will give the answer in a couple of days but I hope to get some responses first. 

High Divorce Rates                         Kids with guns
Gangs                                           Horrible Economy
Drug & Alcohol problems                Assassinations
Bombing                                       Political Terrorists

However we can have better.  We can chose to do things for our neighborhoods to help. 

Well, nobody wanted to take a guess at this but the anwer was Chicago 1890. Sounds a lot like today. Some people use the things from this list to say that our world is getting worse. It is just becoming more publicized. Anyway, I will stop boring you all with this.

I would like to reiterate that we can help our communities even if we can't achieve mayberry. Have a great day!

Mary

Mary,

You aren't boring us, we just get easily sidetracked. rolleyes.gif

I didn't make a guess, but when I read it, I was thinking of the frontier towns of the 'old west'. Chicago certianly works too.

And you're right things do change, but the bad has always been about to some degree. My grandfather would tell me stories of his day. Helped me have a better perspective from a young age.

But mostly I agree with your last thought. We can all help our communities.

I want to believe things can be better than they are even if 'Mayberry' isn't achievable.

Elspeth
myriad 
Posted: 07-Nov-2003, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

female

Thanks Elspeth, my stepdad is 70 now and has been a great souce of enlightenment for me. He was born during the great depression and was a police officer for 23 years so he has a jaded view about a lot of social issues. I am glad that people are out there striving for better communities. I'm not fighting alone
Myriad
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 07-Nov-2003, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Nov 6 2003, 07:59 PM)
OK, oldraven, We're all moving to Nova Scotia. Will it still be perfect then?

So far this board seems pretty Utopian, so I'd say yes. I'll get the fire stoked. Save me a seat at table.

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
3Ravens 
Posted: 07-Nov-2003, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

Yay! We'll all be living in New Scotland and watching the apples grow! And eating dulse!

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 18-Nov-2003, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

This question reminds me of the movie "Pleasantville." The main boy (I can't remember his name) tried to keep Pleasantville... pleasant. But, it became inevitably impossible.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 19-Nov-2003, 10:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Hey I'll move to NS anytime...I like the cold and men in kilts...pleasantville was too unreal for me...too good....to nice....too un-natural...and no ice cream there....too fattening.

A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Unicorns_dragon 
Posted: 03-Jan-2004, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

female

Sign me up for a little spot of land on new Scotland.....and I agree, it people caring about one another, we may not be able to fix everything but as long as we keep trying, who knows.
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 12:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ 03-Nov-2003, 04:10 PM)
OK, perhaps this is a lame question to be placed in philosophy, but I am curious.
Recently I have had crime brought right to my doorstep. In talking to the detective, he said "We don't live in Mayberry". I told him but I want to. He responded everyone wants to, but we don't.
OK, that begs for me the question
If we all want to live in Mayberry, they why don't we?
So, back to the question -
If we all want it, why don't we have it?
Is it a function of the majority allowing a few bad apples to dictate?
Or do we really not want it in anything but fantasy?
Can it be achieved?

O'siyo,
First of all, I have no desire to live in a fictional town/community called Mayberry wink.gif I have to live in reality and spending my time looking for a town that only existed in a 'sitcom' would be, in my opinion, a waste of precious time unsure.gif
Do I 'dream' of a world where there is respect for all? Of course, but again, this isn't part of my reality now days because, like it or not, the world is changing and I refuse to say, not in some ways for the better lookaround.gif
Unfortunately, it isn't just a few 'bad apples' that have made the world a little less desirable for those folks that wish to leave their doors unlocked to have that ability, without fear lookaround.gif Whenever there is change it is always going to 'bring about' more deviant behaviour and attitudes. Because of these qualities am I going to 'run' away from the town I am in to search for Mayberry? sad.gif Nah..I want to do what the folks in Mayberry I believe would've done..if deviants would have invaded Andy's home town, the town would've banded together and took care of the problem just as I see many town folks today doing hammer.gif
We can only change the 'things' that we have the absolute ability to change, laws/rules/social 'rights & wrongs'...Mayberry even had 'crime'.. I mean if they didn't and were un-touched by crime then what is up with the jail?
The one absolute I know I can never change is other people's behaviour, attitudes and beliefs...whenever these differences exist there is always going to be a less than perfect society gossip.gif
Sometimes I feel as if others are searching for Mayberry because they don't want to deal with reality, they are tired of the 'ugliness' and most of all they don't know how to fully accept change and the 'factors/characteristics' that go along with it rolleyes.gif
Tis only my opinion~
~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 10:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

Just finished all the posts to this topic. I certainly have no sure fire remedies of how to correct all the wrong in this world but I have noticed that people usually respond in kind to how they are treated. If they are treated with respect, they usually are respectful. If they are treated with kindness and honestly, then it is usually returned. So it goes with most attitudes.

The following has always made a lot of sense to me. It was written by Charles Swindoll...

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company..a church..a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past..we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you..we are in charge of our Attitudes.

Just my opinion...... smile.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]