Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Christian Persecution, Some say it doesn't exist.

Is persecution of Christians happening in the world today?
Absolutely [ 12 ]  [60.00%]
No way [ 6 ]  [30.00%]
I don't know [ 2 ]  [10.00%]
Total Votes: 20
Guests cannot vote 
Swanny 
Posted on 11-Dec-2005, 10:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

My honest opinion of your posts here, with the exception of a select few thoughts, is one of simple resentment and ethnocentricity.

I'll plead "guilty" to the charge of simple resentment.

While I strongly feel my beliefs are of equal validity to those of anyone else, I have NEVER claimed that they, or my own "cultural tradition or racial group" is superior to ANY others, let alone to all others. Therefore I'm going to claim "not guilty" to that one.

ethnocentric; adj; Relating to or holding the belief that one's own cultural tradition or racial group is superior to all others.

Derivative: ethnocentricity; noun; The policy or practice of being ethnocentric.

Etymology: 20c.

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted on 11-Dec-2005, 10:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

QUOTE (Swanny @ 11-Dec-2005, 08:35 PM)
Hi Haynes9. I'm sorry, I edited that post significantly while you were posting your reply. In order to let others catch up I'll repost the names of the 55 delegates to the Federalist Convention, and their States of Origin. Again, sorry I messed things up for you post.

Not a problem, Swanny. Thanks for taking the time to post them again. I just think it is a great thing to bring the names of these "unknown" heroes back into the forefront.

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted on 11-Dec-2005, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

QUOTE (Swanny @ 11-Dec-2005, 10:35 PM)

Wythe, George*

Hi Swanny!

Thanks for posting that list! Check out the name of my home town!

<--------------

It was named after George Wythe, as was the county I live in, Wythe Co., Virginia!

Good to see these guys getting some well-deserved recognition!

--------------------
Slŕn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba těr mo chridhe. 'S i Gŕidhlig cŕnan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
SCShamrock 
Posted on 12-Dec-2005, 12:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

Swanny,

Since this has primarily been a debate between you and me, I thought I would take a moment to quote a few of your comments and offer an opinion. I hope you will indulge me.

Government persecution of some Native American religions (not my own, but nonetheless valid and widely accepted Native belief systems) continues to this day. In 1990 two Native American Church members were fired from their jobs for their ceremonial use of peyote. They filed claims for unemployment compensation, but were turned down because they had been dismissed for “misconduct.” Dozens of religious organizations supported their claim that their free exercise of religion should allow their religious use of peyote. The Supreme Court held that they had no right to free exercise of religion that transcended otherwise valid laws. The Congress responded by passing, in 1993, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which sought to extend free-exercise rights, but that was struck down by the Supreme Court in 1997 on grounds similar to those originally cited in the Smith case.

You site this as your one example of Indian religious persecution. How can this be so, after some of your more verbose remarks on what constitutes persecution? And considering, by the words used in this example, that the Indians in question were not fired for their religion, but rather for the use of illegal hallucinogenic drugs, how do you arrive at the conclusion that persecution took place? I think this would make a fantastic thread all on its own.

So please, don't presume that I don't understand 'religious persecution' simply because I am not a Christian and please don't expect me to extend more than a modicum of sympathy for your perceived 'persecution'. While I am a little bit sorry that you sometimes have to face the same sorts of issues that I've had to face because of my beliefs, I can't help but think that sometimes "what goes around comes around".

I don't seem to recall ever saying that I have been personally persecuted. Did I do that? The point of this quote is to show you what I view as ethnocentricity. For by your words "what goes around comes around", you imply that even though Christians have had to face the same sorts of issues that you have had to face, their's is self-inflicted, while yours is innocent of wrongdoing. So by implication, in regards to religion, yours is superior. I suppose you could say that the 'comes around goes around' line was intended for anyone who faces such issues, including yourself, but you would have to find us all very gullible to make that work.

In fact, I'll consider any source other than Christian biased rhetoric.

How would we determine what you consider rhetoric, and what you would consider honest information? Am I to assume that if the author is a professing Christian, that his work can by no means be trusted?

School board members and public school employees usually aren't constitutional attorneys, they are everyday folks like you and I. Most have no idea what is, or is not, acceptable under the U.S. Constitution. We've already conceded (repeatedly) that Supreme Court rulings have been frequently misapplied. More often than not it isn't a case of "persecution", but rather it is an honest mistake on the part of well-meaning people.

This paragraph struck a nerve in me, but at the time I wasn't sure why. Then today it dawned on me the double-standard here. On the one hand, if teachers wear cross necklaces, or allow the children to have prayer before lunch, or allow the children to distribute religious literature to one another, or discuss creation vs. evolution, then they are in violation of the Establishment Clause because clearly, as employees of the government, they are seen as promoting religion. However, when it comes to their attacks of the same types of issues, then the government is relieved of any guilt of persecution because they are not constitutional attorneys. Is that about right? It must be, because you later said "My position is that Christians are not PERSECUTED by the government." So which is it, do teachers and other school employees represent government, or do they not?

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted on 12-Dec-2005, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Government persecution of some Native American religions (not my own, but nonetheless valid and widely accepted Native belief systems) continues to this day. In 1990 two Native American Church members were fired from their jobs for their ceremonial use of peyote. They filed claims for unemployment compensation, but were turned down because they had been dismissed for “misconduct.” Dozens of religious organizations supported their claim that their free exercise of religion should allow their religious use of peyote. The Supreme Court held that they had no right to free exercise of religion that transcended otherwise valid laws. The Congress responded by passing, in 1993, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which sought to extend free-exercise rights, but that was struck down by the Supreme Court in 1997 on grounds similar to those originally cited in the Smith case.

You site this as your one example of Indian religious persecution. How can this be so, after some of your more verbose remarks on what constitutes persecution? And considering, by the words used in this example, that the Indians in question were not fired for their religion, but rather for the use of illegal hallucinogenic drugs, how do you arrive at the conclusion that persecution took place? I think this would make a fantastic thread all on its own.

My post probably wasn't as clearly written as it should have been. This cases was cited because it is a recent example showing that government persecution of Native religions persists to our current time. It was in response to Wizard of Owl's assertion that because I'm not Christian I don't understand persecution. As an example of "persecution" it was based at least partially on your interpretatin of the word in question and in comparison to some of the examples of the social persecution that you cited. If you would prefer stronger examples of 20th century government persecution against Native American religions and cultures I can provide plenty of them. I think you are right, it would make an interesting thread on it's own.

This is a fast moving thread, so it sometimes behooves us to consider previous posts in the full context in which they were written. I'll try to extend to you that same courtesy, and if I forget to do so please don't hesitate to remind me.

by your words "what goes around comes around", you imply that even though Christians have had to face the same sorts of issues that you have had to face, their's is self-inflicted, while yours is innocent of wrongdoing. So by implication, in regards to religion, yours is superior. I suppose you could say that the 'comes around goes around' line was intended for anyone who faces such issues, including yourself, but you would have to find us all very gullible to make that work.

No, I'm not saying Christian persecution is self-inflicted. Lets be clear though. Those that have behaved rudely toward me or threatened me with physical harm due to my religious beliefs (or their perceptions of my beliefs) were not Muslims, they were not Jews, they were not Atheists, they were not Rastafarians and they were not Bhudists.
Each and everyone of them was a self-proclaimed Christian.

So when I write "what goes around comes around" it is a way of explaining that I am not very sypathetic to Christians who seem to be complaining about the same behaviors that Christians have so regularly inflicted upon others. My experiences with those who profess to be followers of Christ have not always been very positive and it leaves me personally rather distrustful. Actions speak louder than words, and even the Bible notes that fact. (reference Matthew 7:20). Depending on which particular version of the Bible you read - "Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit."

Am I to assume that if the author is a professing Christian, that his work can by no means be trusted?

The short answer is "Yes". If it's an important point to the debate I will not trust a source written from a Christian perspective until the facts have been verified from a sectarian source. We've already seen in this debate how even the highly respected Rutherford Institute is willing to omit important parts of a story in order to pursue their best interest. The art of misinformation isn't limited to politicians and political liberals and some Christian sources seem to play pretty fast and loose with the ninth commandment ("Thou shalt not bear false witness" - often translated as "Thou shalt not lie."

I'm running really late. I'll address your last point later on, when I have more time to do so.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted on 12-Dec-2005, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

male

I'm running really late. I'll address your last point later on, when I have more time to do so.

Sooner, later, when you have time. Very nice answers to my questions, although I'm not in particular agreement with them. The answer to the Indian religious persecution was spot on, and I have no doubt that there have been a number of verifiable instances of it. I will say, however, that in considering the definition of what that word means, I must stay with the one that makes sense to me. I see it clearly in a variety of religions, though none in America nearly so profound as against Christians. Regardless, it is obviously a point that we disagree upon, and to that I think we can both agree.

thumbs_up.gif Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted on 12-Dec-2005, 10:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Thanks for you patience and understanding, SC. It's truly appreciated. It's true we will continue to disagree, but it's wonderful that we live in a nation where we can be free to do so, and neither of us risking imprisonment or worse. We are in agreement on many other issues, so one out of several shouldn't really cause us a lot of heartburn.

School board members and public school employees usually aren't constitutional attorneys, they are everyday folks like you and I. Most have no idea what is, or is not, acceptable under the U.S. Constitution. We've already conceded (repeatedly) that Supreme Court rulings have been frequently misapplied. More often than not it isn't a case of "persecution", but rather it is an honest mistake on the part of well-meaning people.

This paragraph struck a nerve in me, but at the time I wasn't sure why. Then today it dawned on me the double-standard here. On the one hand, if teachers wear cross necklaces, or allow the children to have prayer before lunch, or allow the children to distribute religious literature to one another, or discuss creation vs. evolution, then they are in violation of the Establishment Clause because clearly, as employees of the government, they are seen as promoting religion. However, when it comes to their attacks of the same types of issues, then the government is relieved of any guilt of persecution because they are not constitutional attorneys. Is that about right? It must be, because you later said "My position is that Christians are not PERSECUTED by the government." So which is it, do teachers and other school employees represent government, or do they not?

That the paragraph struck a nerve is actually a good thing. It shows you are really paying attention and putting a lot of thought into this debate. The thread has caused me to do the same, reexamining some long held feelings and attitudes. At the least it's caused me to acknowlege some of things about myself that I've long taken for granted.

We can address this paragraph from several directions. Let's start by putting it in context. I wrote that paragraph simply to show that honest mistakes don't necessarily equate to persecution. I've never advocating giving them a pass though. I've repeated stated that such events as you described should be challenged by those with the legal standing to do so. If they are not challenged then those behaviors won't be changed. It's pretty much that simple.

Let's take a look at which of behaviors have been challenged in the United States in the past, and the outcomes of those challenges. First off, teachers disciplined for wearing religious themed jewelry. There is a pretty good article that addresses this topic at

Religious Tolerance. org

teachers in public schools:
-  May not promote a particular religion
-  May not promote religion in general as superior to secularism.

In most school districts, regulations prevent teachers from displaying elements of their personal faith, such as a placing a Bible, Torah, or Qur'an on their desk top. The Pennsylvania Public School code, and similar regulations in other states, prohibits teachers from wearing religious garb. This includes the wearing of a necklace containing a cross, crucifix, Star of David, Wiccan Pentacle, etc, if the symbol is visible to students. They can wear a religious necklace if they wish, but the symbol has to be tucked behind clothing out of sight. Brenda Nichol, 43, has been aware of the regulation since 1997, and has been threatened with suspension twice for violating the code. On 2003-APR-8, she again refused to either remove the necklace or tuck in the cross. She was suspended for a year from her post as a public-school teacher's aide. She said: "I could not follow that code in my heart. I could not deny Christ." She is being defended by the Fundamentalist Christian American Center for Law and Justice.

I found the resolution of this case in a news article at First Amendment Center . org

Pennsylvania school agrees to retain cross-wearing teacher's aide

By The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH — A teacher's aide who was suspended without pay in April for wearing a cross necklace in violation of a school agency's ban on religious emblems will keep her job under a federal court settlement reached last week.

Brenda Nichol's attorneys settled with the ARIN Intermediate Unit 28, which provides teachers' aides and other services to 11 public school districts in Armstrong and Indiana counties. Nichol is a special education teacher's aide assigned to the Penns Manor School District, about 45 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.

The religious garb policy, which a judge ruled last June was likely unconstitutional, has already been dropped by ARIN, Nichol's attorney Joseph Luciana said.

.....U.S. District Judge Arthur Schwab approved the agreement on Aug. 28. In June, Schwab issued a preliminary injunction saying Nichol should be reinstated and given back pay because the garb policy was "openly and overtly averse to religion."

By settling the case, the parties avoid a trial on the merits of the policy and the 1895 Pennsylvania law on which it was based.

"Our accepting the judge's preliminary injunction as permanent means that his ruling only affects us and our employee handbook. It doesn't affect other school districts and their handbooks — the state law is left untouched and still stands," said Robert H. Coad Jr., ARIN's executive director.

But Vincent McCarthy, northeast regional counsel for the American Center for Law and Justice, said Schwab's ruling and the resulting settlement make it unlikely similar policies will be enforced by schools or other state-funded agencies.

"It's doubtful that this (issue) is going to arise again because of the result of this case. Everything's going to be there in the public record, including the legal fees," McCarthy said. "So it would not make much sense for someone to go down this road again."

Notwithstanding the outcome of the case above, the FAQ answer below from First Amendment Center . Org has this to say about prohibitions against public school teachers religious displays:

Can a teacher wear religious garb to school provided the teacher does not proselytize to the students?

Probably not. It is likely that many courts would allow a school to prohibit teachers' religious garb in order to maintain religious neutrality. The courts may view such garb as creating a potential establishment-clause problem, particularly at the elementary school level.

Pennsylvania and Oregon have laws that prohibit teachers from wearing religious clothing to schools. Both laws have been upheld in court challenges brought under the First Amendment and Title VII, the major anti-discrimination employment law. The courts reasoned that the statutes furthered the states' goal of ensuring neutrality with respect to religion in the schools.

In the Pennsylvania case, U.S. v. Board of Education, the 3rd Circuit rejected the Title VII religious-discrimination claim of a Muslim teacher who was prevented from wearing her religious clothing to school. The school acted pursuant to a state law, called the “Garb Statute,” which provided: “[N]o teacher in any public school shall wear in said school or while engaged in the performance of his duty as such teacher any dress, mark, emblem or insignia indicating the fact that such teacher is a member or adherent of any religious order, sect or denomination.”

The teacher and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission contended that the school should have allowed the teacher to wear her head scarf and long, loose dress as a “reasonable accommodation” of her religious faith. The appeals court disagreed, determining that “the preservation of religious neutrality is a compelling state interest.”

In its 1986 decision Cooper v. Eugene School District, the Oregon Supreme Court rejected the free-exercise challenge of a Sikh teacher suspended for wearing religious clothing — a white turban and white clothes — to her special education classes. The Oregon high court upheld the state law, which provided: “No teacher in any public school shall wear any religious dress while engaged in the performance of duties as a teacher.” The court wrote that “the aim of maintaining the religious neutrality of the public schools furthers a constitutional obligation beyond an ordinary policy preference of the legislature.”

The First Amendment Center’s A Teacher’s Guide to Religion in the Public Schools provides that “teachers are permitted to wear non-obtrusive jewelry, such as a cross or Star of David. But teachers should not wear clothing with a proselytizing message (e.g. a ‘Jesus Saves’ T-shirt)."

I find it interesting to note that neither of the illustrative cases presented in this statement referred to a display promoting Christian beliefs. Not sure if they were cherry picking cases or not, as the site strikes me as being pretty much neutral in terms of promoting any specific religion.

Regarding the student behaviors you mentioned, case law indicates that teachers may not legally interfere in peer initiated religious activities such as prayer, Bible discussion, &c.

Again from First Amendment Center.org, we have this regarding prayer in public schools:

The Supreme Court has made clear that prayers organized or sponsored by a public school violate the First Amendment, whether in the classroom, over the public-address system, at a graduation exercise or even at a high school football game. The same rule applies whether the activity is prayer or devotional Bible reading.

However, students are free to pray alone or in groups, as long as the activity is not disruptive and does not infringe upon the rights of others. These activities must be truly voluntary and student-initiated. For example, students are permitted to gather around the flagpole for prayer before school begins, as long as the event is not sponsored by the school and other students are not pressured to attend. Students do not have a right to force a captive audience to participate in religious exercises.

While a student’s right to pray is protected, the Supreme Court has struck down state-sponsored or state-organized prayer in public schools. The Court has interpreted the First Amendment to mean that government must be neutral among religions and between religion and nonreligion. This means that school officials may not organize, mandate or participate in student religious activities, including prayer. A moment of silence, however, may be led by school officials, as long as it does not promote prayer over other types of quiet contemplation.

Regarding religious discussions, the same source provides this:

The establishment clause of the First Amendment does not prohibit purely private religious speech by students. Students, therefore, have the same right to engage in individual or group prayer and religious discussion during the school day as they do to engage in other comparable activity. For example, students may read their Bibles or other scriptures, say grace before meals, and pray before tests to the same extent they may engage in comparable nondisruptive activities. Local school authorities possess substantial discretion to impose rules of order and other pedagogical restrictions on student activities, but they may not structure or administer such rules to discriminate against religious activity or speech. Generally, students may pray in a nondisruptive manner when not engaged in school activities or instruction, and subject to the rules that normally pertain in the applicable setting. Specifically, students in informal settings, such as cafeterias and hallways, may pray and discuss their religious views with each other, subject to the same rules of order as apply to other student activities and speech. Students may also speak to, and attempt to persuade, their peers about religious topics just as they do with regard to political topics. School officials, however, should intercede to stop student speech that constitutes harassment aimed at a student or a group of students.

Students may also participate in before- or after-school events with religious content, such as “see you at the flagpole” gatherings, on the same terms as they may participate in other noncurriculum activities on school premises. School officials may neither discourage nor encourage participation in such an event. The right to engage in voluntary prayer or religious discussion free from discrimination does not include the right to have a captive audience listen or to compel other students to participate. Teachers and school administrators should ensure that no student is in any way coerced to participate in religious activity.

So, if teachers are preventing students from engaging in any of those protected activities then it should be challenged - "by those with legal standing" (i.e. the students or their parents/guardians).

There is no argument that the Government holds teachers and other school officials to a much higher standard than students or the general population. First Amendment Center . Org also addressed this issue, which I found of interest.

Why does the Supreme Court apply the establishment clause more strictly in public schools than elsewhere in public life?

The Court exercises special caution in the public schools due to the presence of impressionable young students who are at school as a result of compulsory-attendance laws. This combination of children and a captive audience distinguishes the school prayer cases from other situations such as legislative sessions or college graduations, where courts may be more lax in applying the establishment clause. As the caretaker for all the children in the community, a public school has the responsibility to protect the conscience of every student. This will include children of various religious faiths, as well as those of no religious faith. Only by maintaining a posture of neutrality can the school be fair to all.

I agree strongly with that statement, so there probably is a double-standard in my opinion in that regard.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted on 13-Dec-2005, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

QUOTE (SCShamrock @ 10-Dec-2005, 03:54 AM)
Wow, you guys have been busy since my last stop in. Where to start.

Ok first, Antwn. You can, if you choose, try to address all of Christendom as a single, unified entity. I can't stop that. I wish, however, that you wouldn't do it because Christendom is a title given to a wide spectrum of smaller groups, most of which are not in harmony with one another. I find it unconscionable that you would even suggest, through your "macrochosmic" address, that you view all of Christendom as a unit. To have arrived at the conclusions you have, you must have learned enough about the subject to know better than to lump them all together. Maybe that's an assumption on my part. pooh.gif

Unconscionable eh? My you are an extremist. Obviously I recognize the diversity of opinion in any generalized group, and simply because I didn't bring up that point doesn't mean I don't understand it, I simply assumed it to be a matter of common sense.

Any large body or social organization as influential as Christians however diverse has a collective impact. My point was to address that only. It was a different idea I thought I'd bring into the discussion. Its hardly unconventional nor is it unconscionable, yet you seem to possess a fondness for ignoring ideas which are inconvenient for you to address and have done so with birddog, celtic coalition and myself. Fine. I won't belabour the point. Go ahead and quibble over terminology until the cows come home, knock yourself out.

Since its "unconscionable" that I view Christians as a general categorization (not Christendom) then by what qualifications do your posts refrain from being "unconscionable" by using the same generalization may I ask?

You will probably ignore that question, but if your reply is something akin to "I'm right because of my faith" may I remind you that is not a valid argument. Before you twist my meaning to suit you, I'm not saying your faith isn't valid, I'm saying that statement or facsimile thereof is not a valid argument.

Now, don't mind me....go ahead and banter with Swanny.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted on 13-Dec-2005, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

QUOTE (Antwn @ 13-Dec-2005, 08:42 AM)
Unconscionable eh? My you are an extremist. Obviously I recognize the diversity of opinion in any generalized group, and simply because I didn't bring up that point doesn't mean I don't understand it, I simply assumed it to be a matter of common sense.

Hi Antwn.

Hey, not meaning to jump in between the dialog between you and Shamrock, but please indulge me.

Here is my problem with the broad term of christendom. There are those groups who thought it was alright to "encourage" people to convert to Christianity by offering them that opportunity or losing their heads. There are those who would claim ethnic superiority under the broad term of christendom. Neither of those views, among others, would reflect those of myself or most of those in whose circles I run. I understand where you are coming from with the term, but I hope you can see my personal distaste for the term from where I sit.

It would be like me lumping together all Native American beliefs or tribes into one unit. I happen to work on the Navajo Reservation and there are huge differences in thought processes here than say in Tahlequah, the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma capital. And at least among the Native Americans I know, they resent the "lumping in" with other groups.

Just my two cents worth. Have a great day!
SCShamrock 
Posted on 13-Dec-2005, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (Antwn @ 13-Dec-2005, 10:42 AM)

1. Unconscionable eh? My you are an extremist.

2. Any large body or social organization as influential as Christians however diverse has a collective impact.

3. Since its "unconscionable" that I view Christians as a general categorization (not Christendom) then by what qualifications do your posts refrain from being "unconscionable" by using the same generalization may I ask?

1. And you stereotype. Call it "collective" if you wish, but those of us who identify ourselves as Christian fully realize incredible diversity amongst our various denominations and levels of understanding. It is with that, and the fact that many of us who profess Christianity (myself included, and I am repeating myself) do so apart from any organized or structured system. To have another tell me: "Amid your whining about your victimization, you might take some responsibility for the incredible social influence you have and the repercussions which ensue in the way you brandish it", only later to claim to have been addressing a group collectively, clearly doesn't understand what they are saying, or otherwise feels fully justified in making such sweeping assumptions. And another thing. You obviously feel there is some level of equality among this collective group called Christians. Define that for me.

2. The answer to my last question will sufficiently address this nonsense too.

3. I haven't used the same generalizations. There is a distinct difference in the charge you lay at the feet of all Christians, and the statements I have made. I haven't remotely implied a non-diversified position with one exception, and that is the assertion of Christians being persecuted in numbers, and the name Jesus being the catalyst for this persecution. Try again.
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted on 18-Dec-2005, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

QUOTE (SCShamrock @ 13-Dec-2005, 01:20 PM)
3. I haven't used the same generalizations. There is a distinct difference in the charge you lay at the feet of all Christians, and the statements I have made. I haven't remotely implied a non-diversified position with one exception, and that is the assertion of Christians being persecuted in numbers, and the name Jesus being the catalyst for this persecution. Try again.

Amid the generalizations used by everyone on this forum when referring to a large group of ethno-religious or philosophical commonality we've had Christians, Muslims, Native Americans, Jews and even marxist socialists represented. The practice is not distinct to me by any means.

And yes, I was referring to the collective all along. Why would I have begun my initial post speaking about Christians collectively then ask you as an individual to take personal responsibility for the activities of the collective I was referring to?

To reiterate, I was making a point that a large social group has a collective impact, its unavoidable. No group with any social, political, military or economic impact anywhere is without influence. I'm simply suggesting that Christians recognize and take responsibility for the repercussions of their collective body as one explanation for reasons your so called "persecution" might have erupted. Its not a complicated thought.

By way of analogy, Europeans practiced cultural genocide against indigenous populations in the Americas. Does that mean every European settler agreed with, participated in, had equal power and authority in, sanctioned or was personally involved in it? No, at least not directly. However when talking about the impact made by post 1492 European influence in North America, its not only valid but common to talk about Europeans as a collective group is it not? For the sake of brevity few will spend the time in a conversation endlessly qualifying a generalization in this context to apease indignant nitpickers.

By your logic for example, news reports could never refer to American influence in Iraq without taking up needless time in qualifying disclaimers to explain that not all Americans have equal personal influence, nor agree with American policy necessarily, nor share an equal degree of political power and that without such differentiations the use of the term American in that context is "unconcsionable".

Endless quibbling over semantics gets old, you think we can move on now?

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]