Arianrhod 
Posted: 25-Mar-2004, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

Sounds like You , Jason and Myself have a love for Clematis..

I have two Nelly Mosers.. coming up on the lattice at the end of the back porch..
They are happy there, feet in the deep shade ,, coverd with ferns,,
Heads in the sun...
I ran some Autum varities along the fence last year, pretty flowers, and they go till a hard frost, I am hoping to train them along some netting ...we shall see...

I plan on trying a few other kinds this year, they take a while to mature..
but they are so well worth it ... my Nellys flowers get the size of dinner plates smile.gif

In Service to the Dream,
Paula

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 26-Mar-2004, 04:06 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I'm not so keen on the dinner plate ones like Nelly Moser - I used to have 4 or 5 of them, but they only flower early and then nothing until a few peely-wally blooms at the end of the summer. I've now got one! I replaced them with viticellas. If you have the opportunity and can find them, I'd highly recommend both Etoile Violette and Minuet. Both are prolific bloomers - the dusky deep purpled EV looks great with a Perle D'Azur (almost a true 'blue' rather than purple tinged flower) growing through it. Minuet has small four petalled whitish-cream flowers just tipped at the very edges of the flower with a pinkish-purple colour.... very delicate and not quite so prolific as EV....
PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 26-Mar-2004, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacVine

female

Both of those would fit in with my colours !

They do bloom early.. but I have found with a bit of trimming , about 2 weeks after.. I get a re bloom ,, with in a month.. that is lovley,, not as big .. but lots of flowers.. and one more late in Sept.. you are really sort of tricking the plant...
but I have been told, it does not stress it out...
I also give a dose of .. bone meal.. which drives the dog crazy... and after the first bloom, a bit of *yuck* dried blood... to keep the plant from becoming anemic ...

I have Moon Flowers, and the big cultivated Morning Glories on the same lattice..
I love the flowers, and the big cool heart shaped leaves.. they give both privacy and shade.. and they three of them seem to share the spot well ..
I leave the vines, till around now, and they re seed them selves...
I have a Robin that returns to a nest , in the elbow of the drain pipe.. year after year, I like to leave some of the dead vine for her.. she uses it...for freshening up the nest... I start to brush the dog outside this time of year and , leave the clumps of fur for the birds... and the lint from the dryer basket too .. I love to see them come and collect them !

In Service to the Dream,
Paula
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 26-Mar-2004, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I have 4 of the EV's and I believe one of the Minuet. Doesn't it bloom in the Autumn??? If so that is more than likely the variety I have. I was an Idiot and forgot to write it down. I will give m'self a bit of a break though.... since it is the first year in the house. I can't belive it's been almost a year! WOW!!!!

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Catriona 
Posted: 26-Mar-2004, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

The Minuet starts blooming about mid-June in the UK.... The later flower ones (particularly a yellow variety with nodding, downward looking flowers) are usually Clematis Tangutica rather than C.Viticella...

Goodness, I'm beginning to sound like I'm auditioning for one of the BBC's gardening programmes!
PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 26-Mar-2004, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacVine

female

Pssssssssssst Cat *nudge* starting ? wink.gif

Its just that I can HEAR you speak in my head when you write...
and you just sound so professional !
I can just see you out there in your wellies, in that lovley Scotish Summer.. tending the roses..
Whist your hunk of a gardner, labors away in the back ground...
*sigh*

In Service to the Dream,
Paula
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 27-Mar-2004, 05:12 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Would that it was so,Paula...!

'My' gardener toils all day Tuesdays - and arrives AFTER I leave in the morning and is gone by the time I get back.... He's a friend of our next door neighbour, so I see more of him when he's spending a leisurely Sunday at their house, and we talk over the garden wall...!

I'm off to the nurseries this morning... I want to replace a number of the ericas (heathers) that have just got too woody to trim back successfully.

PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 27-Mar-2004, 05:15 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacVine

female

Perfect way to spend a Saturday Morning ..
Wish I was going along... enjoy !

In Service to the Dream,
Paula
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 29-Mar-2004, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I too was at the nursery Saturday! wink.gif
We went out to see what was 'comin' up' in the Garden and the Clematis is already starting its new growth. So, I cut back the old woody growth and got it ready for its climb. Jody found a very pretty diamond trellis. and I set that in and started the clematis 'snaking' through it.

It should look *very* pretty this spring/summer. I will take some photos and post them once it gets blooms!!!!

I know I'm not the 'hunk of a gardner' wink.gif but I'll have ta do ....here in this 'Garden gate'... laugh.gif cool.gif
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt