tsargent62 
Posted: 01-Apr-2004, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

Well, there's a bit of an update on my family's tuberculosis situation. It's not medically confirmed, but it looks like we're all carrying it. No one's coughing or showing symptoms. We just seem to be carrying the bacteria that causes it. We're going to see the doctor tomorrow to get our tests read. But, the area where they injected the test stuff looks just like my wife's, and she already came up positive. Thank God it's curable.

Please continue to keep us in your prayers. We'll get through it. It's just a comfort to know that while we can't really talk about it to people here at home yet, I can unburden myself on my CR friends. I thank God for that. If I hadn't found this forum this situation would be a lot harder to bear. Thanks, guys.

Todd
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 01-Apr-2004, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh goodness, Todd! TB is very curable and something that you either get or don't. don't stress yourself and I hope your family is not stressing either. Just not something anybody wants to have or deal with. Poor you and family! They have wonderful curable drugs out there for it and plenty of rest is necessary. Keep us posted and you will definitely be in my prayers. Keep us posted!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 05:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Todd, Talk here whenever you need to. And keep us posted.

Rose, dear, guilt is NOT one of the fruits of the spirit! smile.gif Don't compare yourself to your sister. We all have different jobs to do in life and within our families. Support your sister, but don't chastise yourself for not being the one who has the responsibility at this time.

On a personal note, I had two major disappointments yesterday. First, the story I posted here was rejected by Guideposts magazine. That was a tough one to take. One that makes me question if being a writer can be God's will for me if even a religious, mostly freelance written magazine rejects me. The second was that a minister that our congregational committee interviewed last weekend felt called to not come to our church, but instead stay where he is. This minister was the first pastor I have come across in my entire life that I thought I could actually be able to connect with in a real way. I needed him as my pastor. Needed it real bad. Not much light in a corridor of doors closed tight.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Todd and Elspeth,

Do you remember who Corrie Tinboom is? She and her sister were Christians during WWII in Holland and working with the underground hid Jews from the Nazis. They were caught and thrown in a concentration camp. There is something God taught them through that experience and they would often say, "There is no pit that is too deep that Jesus is not deeper still." Even in the most depressing circumstances Jesus is there with us. He is our light in the darkness. Todd, I will continue to pray for your family.

Elspeth, I know how it feels to be rejected by magazines and publishing houses---it has happened a lot. Someone once told me when I complained out of a crushed heart, "Good, the more rejections the merry...use them to wall paper your wall in your office and use them for inspiration to work even harder. Rejections mean you are real writer---all writers have been rejected in one form or another." I don't know if this helps at all, but I hope in some way it encourages you to not give up on your writing!!

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Elspeth, I feel for you. I have been rejected many times with my artwork. Just part of being in the field we're in, but that doesn't make it better. I know you must feel really hurt right now with the rejection from Guidepost and then the losing of the pastor. Remember when God closes one door, He always opens another. I know it is a cliche but one I have always found to be true.

Well update on me. I am off to California tomorrow for the week. I really don't want to go, dread that 6 hour drive again. Hate leaving my home and hubby. However, feel I need to be there when my mother is discharged from the hospital tomorrow. I think that if I am with her for this coming week to help her get her strength back, then she should continue to get better and can do for herself afterwards. But someone needs to be with her this week and sis needs to work and so I am it! Mother has a very strong will and fighting, independent spirit and would not ask for the help unless she felt she really needed it. So appreciate your prayers for a safe trip and that I can minister effectively to my mother and sister while there. Many thanks! You all will be in my prayers too!
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Travel safe, Rose. And listen to your heart and you will do everything right. All the best for your Mum's healing.
My prayers will be with you.

Gabby

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
tsargent62 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

male

OK, I have an update for you. I guess this would classify as a joy. Actually it's a mixed bag.

The Good News: My entire family was put on TB specific antibiotics today. We'll be cured after taking them for 9 months.

The Bad News: I can't drink any alcohol while taking these. Both alcohol and this medication are hard on the liver. I was warned not to consume mass quantities. An occasional beer (only 1) on a special occasion like a birthday, okay. But that's about it. I know it shouldn't be a big issue, but I don't like being told I can't have something. Ya know?

Now we need to try to figure out how we got infected. It could be important because whoever infected us has active TB and could be infecting others. We suspect my mom. She's about to turn 81. She smoked for years. She coughs a lot, but we always attributed to smokers cough. I need to ask her to get tested, but I hate to. Oh, well, best I suck it up and take care of it.

My friends, thank you so much for your prayers and words of encouragement. In a social situation of this type it is quite extrordinary to get the type of care I've recieved from you. I love you all and am thankful that God brought me to CR. May God bless you all.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

male

Rose, I don't know if you'll get this before you leave for California, but I will pray for your safe travel and that God will help you minister to both your mother and your sister. God speed!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 08:46 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thank you Todd for your well wishes and safe travel! I so wanted hubby to buy me a lap top before I left but he was very uncooperative.... laugh.gif Well we have a huge tax bill to pay on April 15 and that is on his mind. That is what you get for being in business for yourself.

Hmmm, if you contracted TB from your mom, then she definitely needs to be tested and treated! when my mother was in the hospital all this time they tested her for TB also and thankfully it was negative. It is a long time to be on meds, but you all will be okay. sorry you can't have the occasional beer! That would bother me too! laugh.gif

I will be praying for you all while I am driving to California tomorrow! The best thing about driving a long trip. biggrin.gif You all take care and see you soon!
Elspeth 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 11:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Todd,

Glad to hear something is being done for the TB. Sometimes an action of any kind is better than just waiting. I will remember you in all your difficulties. Being married to an alcoholic, I don't relate well to not wanting to give up beer, but try substituting it with something else. For every beer you don't get to drink, put a dollar in a jar. At the end of the nine months do something really fun with the money. Or create your own substitution.

Rose, I pray for your safe travels and for all the angst that goes along with the situation you are entereing into. I pray this will be a bonding time with your mother in a positive way.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Yeah, I've got lots of rejections. It is just the Christian rejections are harder to take. I have a great deal of difficulty with the belief that windows are opened for me when doors are closed. All my life long that has not been the case. I know there is some meaning in that, but I've yet to find it.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 03-Apr-2004, 04:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Todd,

oh man, how I'm glad!
Nine months are a long time but time goes by and you all will be cured.
Yes, those meds are really hardon the liver. So it is reasonable to try to et and drink "healthy" in order not to stress the liver in addition.
Oh, I understand it's hard to be told that you MUST NOT drink alcohol! I mean there are times you wouldn't even think of drinking it yourself. And it is not the end of the world not to drink alcohol for a couple of months - but if it's not your own choice but TOLD you, it's harder the more...odd but true...
I think, Elspeth's advice to substitute it is a good one.
However, you started to be cured and that's a wonderfully good news!

Well, about your Mum...I know it's not easy to tell her that she has to be tested but it is urgently necessary!

Good luck for all - I'll keep you in my prayers.

gaberlunzie 
Posted: 03-Apr-2004, 04:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Apr 3 2004, 12:42 AM)

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Yeah, I've got lots of rejections. It is just the Christian rejections are harder to take. I have a great deal of difficulty with the belief that windows are opened for me when doors are closed. All my life long that has not been the case. I know there is some meaning in that, but I've yet to find it.

Elspeth;

there is so much I would like to dress in words but I still can't grab them!
But I understand your thoughts nd feelings so very well and so I just want to let you know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
kelaorqu 
Posted: 05-Apr-2004, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHawthorn

female

Hey everyone
This past weekend I was in Toronto on a Choir Tour. On Saturday we did service work at a second-hand clothing store (for a Street Mission) and at night we went on a street walk with various people who had lived on the street before. It had a huge impact on me, I can't even imagine! The stories of the people who led us around were horrible and i felt so selfish and greedy
I would just ask that you would pray for my leader, whose name was Duval. I won't tell you everything about him except that his life on the street and even now is heartbreaking. He is dying of AIDs and there is a lot of pain in his life. The things that he has to deal with make our day to day problems seem like nothing. It's just a whole different world, full of abuse, abandonment, violence and drugs. I would also ask that you pray for all the others that I saw, people that have absolutely no hope at all. While you are at it, thank God for everything you have - thank him for the roof over your head, food, a bed, family, the list goes on and on.

--------------------
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ hehind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in quiet,
Christ in danger,
Christ in the heart of every man who think of me,
Christ in the mouth os everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
~ St. Patrick
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 08-Apr-2004, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

male

Have good news to report. Thank, God, my mother does not have TB. I'm so relieved. However, that still leaves someone out there who is spreading it. Someone my entire family had contact with. Be that as it may, I'm so happy my mom is clear. And after 9 months of antibiotics the rest of us will be, too.

Again, thank you all for being so loving and supportive. Your words, thoughts, prayers and hugs have meant a lot to me.

Todd
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 08-Apr-2004, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Great News!!! Praise God! I'm so glad your mother was clear. I just pray that they find who is spreading it (TB). I also hope 9 months passes quickly for your whole family. Keep us posted.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]