> Celtic Canada, have you been
Skyclad Awen 
Posted: 10-Jul-2004, 11:15 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Sorry Stevo I see it was you who went to TUNS lol. Its late and I am getting tired. Oh well!
PMEmail Poster               
faolin 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ 07-Jun-2004, 11:30 PM)
Find a party going on in Wolfville on Halloween. king.gif A seriously good time.

I love the fact that while most I my friends are heading off to Montreal, Kingston or staying in Toronto, I'm heading off to a place where a pub crawl involves town hopping as there is only one pub in Sackville biggrin.gif beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Bitheadh e mar sin
PMEmail Poster               
[email protected] 
Posted: 19-Jul-2004, 02:44 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacElder

Realm: Vancouver

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 03-Jun-2004, 08:27 AM)
As the title sugests, how many of us have been to the Celtic settlements in Canada? This is pretty much all of the Maritimes, and a few other parts of eastern/central Canada. (Ontario & Quebec. The western provinces were mostly settled by eastern Europeans [a lot of Ukrainians] and native born Canadians durring the Western Expansion [I think that's what it was called] where land was given away so cheap even the poorest people in Europe could own vast amounts of prairie land. This was due to paranoia of US invasion/occupation.)

Some of you know, I'm first and foremost a New Scot, and then I'm a Canadian. So I've been there. Heck, I lived most of my life there, and I'm striving to get back.

Have you been there? What did you enjoy or dislike about it? Would you go back? Did you view any tourism sites or attend any Celtic festivals?

oldraven,
I hate to (gently and politely) disagree on my first post here but British Columbia was settled extensively by Celts, as well as eastern Europeans, Chinese, and others. Many of the packers and rare metal miners in early British Columbia were Celts. Search the mining and railroad history of British Columbia and you'll find that "Mac" started a lot of those names.
Even today, the Celts are leaders here. Both the Mayor of Vancouver and the Premier are Campbells.
While we never had the almost exclusive Celtic population of the East Coast, we had a lot of Celts that helped open this province to the rest of Canada.

--------------------
Kilts are garments, not costumes!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 19-Jul-2004, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Well, now I know. smile.gif The truth is, the only western provinces I know anything about are the prarie provinces. The deepest I've ever been into BC was about 20km down the roads in the Kootenays. So, my knowledge about BC is quite limited. Thanks for clearing this up, for me and the rest of the people on this site.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
[email protected] 
Posted: 19-Jul-2004, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacElder

Realm: Vancouver

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 19-Jul-2004, 07:29 AM)
Well, now I know. smile.gif The truth is, the only western provinces I know anything about are the prarie provinces. The deepest I've ever been into BC was about 20km down the roads in the Kootenays. So, my knowledge about BC is quite limited. Thanks for clearing this up, for me and the rest of the people on this site.

No problem.
There's a BC/Alberta show called Gold Trails and Ghost Towns by historian Bill Barlee. Great show! He always tells of some lost mine at the end of each show. I've read a few of his books and learned a bit of BC history from them. I even named one of my sporran styles after Cataline, a world class packer of early B.C.

Most people think of logging when they think of B.C. but it was actually built on mining and the gold rushes.

Incidentally, My maternal great grandmother was a Corbin (Latin for Raven) from Ireland. One of the tattoos I'm planning is a very cool Celtic raven torc.
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 19-Aug-2004, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Hi guys. Let me jump in if you don't mind. I am from Nova Scotia (hey old crow!). Born in Antigonish, lived in Cape Breton and New Glasgow. This is the very Scottish part of northeastern Nova Scotia. I used to attend many Scottish festivals when I was growing up. Now I live in northern Canada and it is very expensive to go home. So, my link to Scottish culture is somewhat broken, but the internet certainly helps a lot.

As per the university discussion, I have degrees from both St. FX and Acadia. Both are great schools, but I must say that I personally had more fun at St. FX

Anyway, enough of me.

Slainte!

Rory MacAibhistin
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Aug-2004, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Rory! Sorry you have to be so far away from home! sad.gif
oldraven 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 08:10 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Top of the mornin to ya, Rory. I know exactly how you feel. Ange and I just took a trip home to get married, and the tickets were about half the cost of the wedding.

I grew up in Guysborough Co., on the Pictou border on hwy 347 to New Glasgow. About 35 minutes Sherbrooke way from Antigonish. (had our reception in St. Andrews, just like everybody else. tongue.gif ). Ange is from Dunmore, so, depending on your age, she might know who you are. Don't all you townies know each other anyway? wink.gif

How long have you been away, and when was your last trip home?
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

So...is PEI considered Celtic?? I've been there three times since '96 (and long to go back ALL the time).

While there, I did attend a ceileih at the College of Piping in Summerside, but that's about all I did that was remotely Celtic. I'm a big Anne of Green Gables fan, so I spent time exploring those avenues. smile.gif

I'm also a big fan of the group Barachois of PEI (who have unfortunately broken up) sad.gif

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 07:27 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

Celtic Rose, thank you for the welcome! Yes, it sucks to be so far away, but in some respects we have to move on - just like our Celtic ancestors.

Old Raven, good to hear from ya. I'm 33. How old is Ange? The problem with living in Yellowknife is that it in nearly a grand just to fly to Edmonton, and then it's that much again to get to NS. I've been through Melrose several times. I used to go fishing down that way!

Brian, yes PEI is considered Celtic in many respects. There are many communities that were settled by Highland Scots in PEI and there were a fair number of later Irish settlers as well. To balance the Celts out there was a healthy English settlement and a very politically active Acadian settlement. My wife's mother is from PEI and she's a combination of Scotch, Irish and Acadian.

Greetings to all and thanks for the warm welcomes!

Rory MacA
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 05:04 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Somehow I missed this. Can you tell me what PEI is? smile.gif
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 05:28 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

PEI is short for Prince Edward Island - one of Canada's four Atlantic provinces. It is home to Lucy Maud Montgomery, author of the famous Anne of Green Gables stories. It is a beautiful little spot! I am surprised you never heard of it. Where are you from Celtic Rose?
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Good Lord, I can't believe you just said Melrose, and you knew where that was from those simple directions. You really are a home b'y. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 10:28 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 21-Aug-2004, 06:28 PM)
PEI is short for Prince Edward Island - one of Canada's four Atlantic provinces. It is home to Lucy Maud Montgomery, author of the famous Anne of Green Gables stories. It is a beautiful little spot! I am surprised you never heard of it. Where are you from Celtic Rose?

Hi Mac! I am sorry I am so ignorant of such things but I live in Arizona and while I have lived in different states in the southern parts of the US, I have regrettably never been to Canada! I remember as a teenager I always told my parents that I was moving to Canada as I thought it would be the ultimate beauty to live and be a part of; however, I ended up in Arizona instead and we have a beauty here all our own. Thanks so much for educating me Mac thumbs_up.gif smile.gif
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 10:54 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

You're welcome CelticRose. My wife actually lived in Tucson for 10 years before returning back to Nova Scotia. Isn't it interesting how we are sometimes not very aware of our own continent. Sometimes I think our education system does a lot to let us down. (I can't believe I am saying this as I am a teacher! But it is true.) Anyway, PEI is a small province, but a very important one.

Hey, Old Raven! I sure do know your neck of the woods. In fact, I used to do a lot of fishing in the Garden of Eden area - not too far from Melrose.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]