Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,759 Gold!

We all need to do our part to help produce this new fuel. tongue.gif

Scots scientists create car biofuel from whisky by-products
August 18th, 2010 in Technology / Energy

Whisky lovers have another excuse to enjoy a dram -- scientists in Scotland on Tuesday unveiled a biofuel to help power cars developed from the by-products of the distillation process.

Researchers at Edinburgh Napier University have developed the biofuel and filed a patent for the product, which they said could be used to fuel ordinary cars without any special adaptations.

The biofuel, which has been developed during a two-year research project, uses the two main by-products from the whisky production process.

These are "pot ale", the liquid from the copper stills, and the spent grains called "draff", as the base to produce butanol which can then be used as fuel.

"The new biofuel is made from biological material which has been already generated," said Martin Tangney, who is leading the research.

"Theoretically it could be used entirely on its own but you would have to find a company to distribute it."

He added the most likely way the biofuel would be used was by blending five or 10 percent of the product with petrol or diesel.

"Five or 10 percent means less oil which would make a big, big difference," he said.

The biofuel "potentially offers new revenue on the back of one Scotland's biggest industries," added Tangney.

Richard Dixon, the Scotland director of environmental campaign group WWF, praised the new product, saying unlike other biofuels it could be made without causing "massive environmental damage to forests and wildlife.

"Whisky-powered cars could help Scotland avoid having to use those forest-trashing biofuels."

"Scots scientists create car biofuel from whisky by-products." August 18th, 2010. www.physorg.com/news201327681.html

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 18-Aug-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Well...what to think of this new discovery???

If it's a good fuel for cars that "uisque" then methinks that it could be a good fuel for humans as well??? I want some...send me the address CarolinaScotsman so that I can order some for myself...need some boost... beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif thumbs_up.gif

LOA tongue.gif

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
englishmix 
Posted: 19-Aug-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

They better be using blended whiskey and not single malt.
Interesting post.
thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]