> The Purpose Driven Life, the book and your thoughts
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 12:45 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

I have been reading "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. Interested in if anybody else is reading this book and your thoughts and discoveries. Would be interested in sharing a chapter by chapter discussion too.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 05:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

I had a very negative reaction to the book actually. Had to stop reading it, or I was going to throw it across the room. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Really? Care to share why?
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I quit part-way through too... but you first, El! Tell us why!

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Elspeth 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 08:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

How much space do I have? tongue.gif Really, I got so annoyed, I started taking notes. Then stopped at chapter 7, figured I'd had enough.

First, I want to say the premise of the book is a wonderful, if obvious, message. But then again, I don't live in the rat race and that is who this book is most geared for. So, I believe it has brought about wonderful, life giving change to thousands and for that I say God bless it.

But it bugged the crap out of me.

Much of that had to do with the writing style, the choice of wordings which made the author come across as arrogant. I forget where exactly he put it, the prologue? Where he said that God had intended the reader to be holding this book, it was part of his plan. The inference was there that we can't really be Christians without this book. Man, as a writer I want that kind of job security. That my book gets to be the porthole through which all Christians enter the kingdom.

But, if I remember right, the biggest thing that bugged me was the whole God has a plan for your life concept. I've seen too many people who want to believe that because it absolves them from having to think. This is a book, to me, for an unthinking Christian, one who just wants to be told what to do. And perhaps that is what they need and hence the popularity of the book.

I do remember now one thing that really bugged me. He said that God tests us. His writing of this made God appear like some evil puppetmaster in the sky who likes to make mazes for people to stumble through. Who sits back and laughs when we screw up. His portrayal of God in that Section I found to be offensive. I do not believe for a minute God tests us to see what we will do. That is just stupid. He's God, He knows what we will do before we do it. Life isn't a test. Life is a series of experiences that place us in situations where we have to chose. And learn from our choices. Christianity is all about chosing, not passing tests. I almost wish I still had the book so I could clarify this better.

The other little thing that bugged me was that the author continually referred to God with the pronoun 'he'. I kept thinking, you're telling me to give my entire life to God and you can't even use a capital H? Nitpicking, I know, but it bugged me.

Another thing is that this book has gained such popularity it scares me. I am afraid it is being snatched up as the newest 'self-help' book and swallowed whole without people really thinking about it. There are subtle messages in there I think are harmful if people don't really take the time to sift the chaff from the wheat.

I hope my commentaries didn't offend anyone. I know many are finding purpose in this book.

OK, Susan, your turn.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Whoa! Elspeth! Very interesting perpective! I never thought of those things. I have always been taught that God tests us in situations as this earth we now call home is a learning ground. Doesn't mean it is accurate theology, but just what I have been taught.

I am only on Chapter 7 so I have much further to go. Pretty much the stuff in there I am and have been reading has been pretty basic stuff that I already know or have been taught.

Your turn Susan! biggrin.gif
tsargent62 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

I've read that book. I had a mixed reaction. For most of the book I got some real value from it. I agree that the writer did seem to think a lot of his views. The one big beef I had was that he tried to make you feel that the only way to be a good Christian was to do missionary work. To give up your entire life to go somewhere in the jungle to minister to the natives. I applaud anyone who feels called to that, but it is certainly NOT for everyone. I do believe the God calls whom He wants to do that type of work. I just had a large problem with the authors attitude on that whole subject.

Todd
PMEmail Poster               
High Plains Drifter 
Posted: 16-Mar-2004, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Colorado

male

We are currently going through the book as a Lenten study at our church. I find it interesting, and I find I agree with much of what Warren finally says however, I often disagree with the way he gets there. Like Elspeth, I really am turned off by being told that suffering and pain is God's testing us. I also agree that the author comes across as being rather puffed up on himself.

I too have a big problem with the predestined thing, If God has every minute planned and knows what is happening next, then I wasted my money on the book, if I was destined to read it, God would have put one on my doorstep.

I will continue my reading, as I said earlier I do find many of his conclusions pertinent to how I wish to live.

--------------------
Be Mindful
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 17-Mar-2004, 05:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (High Plains Drifter @ Mar 16 2004, 07:57 PM)
I too have a big problem with the predestined thing, If God has every minute planned and knows what is happening next, then I wasted my money on the book, if I was destined to read it, God would have put one on my doorstep.

I will continue my reading, as I said earlier I do find many of his conclusions pertinent to how I wish to live.

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

That's so funny!

But you are right, within what I found to be an annoying presentation are conclusions pertinent to how I wish to live as well.

I suppose the popularity lies in the fact that the presentation doesn't bother thousands of people. But then again, I can't watch most TV sitcoms anymore.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]