Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Who Has Been To The United Kingdom?, What was your experince there?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 03-Jun-2004, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

I am planning a trip to Scotland next year. Just wondering who have been to the UK already and your experiences there!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Eamon 
Posted: 04-Jun-2004, 01:21 AM
Quote Post

Captain of the Prydwen
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

WAY better beer!

'Nuf said.

Eamon

--------------------
"I care not whether I die tomorrow or next year, if only my deeds live after me." -Cuchullain

"Bíodh roinnt de sin agat!"
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Jun-2004, 03:11 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Eamon @ 04-Jun-2004, 02:21 AM)
WAY better beer!

'Nuf said.

Eamon

Well that is good enough for me! laugh.gif Better than our Mexican beer in Arizona, eh? laugh.gif laugh.gif
greenldydragon 
Posted: 11-Jun-2004, 01:14 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Hope to get there someday. There is a college here that has branches in France and Ireland... may go there when I'm old enough.

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
Lyra Luminara 
Posted: 15-Jun-2004, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Éire (okay fine, it's really PA, USA but that's just boring.)

female

my mom and her whole side of the family is from there so I've been going since I was a wee babe. (haha) I hadn't been for like four years since the prices were so high and then just this past may we were able to go. Mmm, always love going there, it's like going home. I just feel very at ease and comfortable and like I could stay there forever. Everyone is so much more laid back and don't have sticks up their asses like here in america. Am I right though?! haha

--------------------
If we could just stand here, without the words, would that be enough? ..Look at the sky now. What color is it? Or the way a hawk flies. Or you wake up and your ribs are bruised thinking so hard on somebody. What do you call that?

"Don't cross the street if you can't get out of the kitchen"
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 15-Jun-2004, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

Omigosh!!!!! I went to the UK (ireland and england) back in 2002. I spent a week and a half travelling the land. It was the most wonderful time of my life. The people were soooooo friendly. The food and drink was great! The music, the night life, the landscape... sigh...
I'll give you two short stories of my accounts. A lot of people in America say that the English hate us. I totally disagree with that. I have never met kinder people. One night me and my fiancee went to the movies and we had to take the bus back to where we were staying. Well it was dark and we didn't know where we were going, so we kinda of missed out stop. We just sat on the bus until the driver was done with his route. He got of the bus and realized we were still on there. We explained that we missed our stop and didn't know where to go. Well it turns out our stop was totally out of the guy's way and it was after midnight. His shift had ended, he was at the bus stop and his car was right there..needless to say he wanted to go home. Well guess what this man did. He got back on the bus and gave us a ride up to the front door of where we were staying. He went totally out of his way to help us. I don't know a single bus driver or taxi driver in America who would have done that for us. I was amazed!
When I was in Ireland, I saw the ocean for the first time. I went to Rossbeigh which is near Dingle Bay. Well, it was really nice outside so I rolled up my jeans and started to play in the water. I collected sea shells and what not. The water was so warm. I wished I had my bathing suit. Well, finally I got tired of that and went back to the car where my fiancee's aunt was waiting for us and she was laughing really really really hard. I had no idea why she was laughing. I thought we just looked dumb. She finally was able to get out "Why are you to still in your clothes? Anyone around here would just strip down to their knickers and play in the water." Knickers are underwear. I thought that was hilarious.
I loved it.

usaflag.gif

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 15-Jun-2004, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Wow! What terrific stories! I look forward to hearing so much more! wow! You can strip to your knickers and play in the water? I will keep that in mind when I get there! laugh.gif So the people there are much more laid back there, eh? wow! I look so forward to going there. I write a lot of folks from the whole of UK and find them to be such delightful people that I want to touch my feet on their soil! woo hoo!
Madadh 
Posted: 16-Jun-2004, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

Stationed in the UK for 5 years. Love it and the people. Took several week long vacations to Ireland and Scotland. Love the high country and the home land. Walking the foot paths is the best way to see the country.

Some of the best highlights for me,

Kissing the Blarney Stone
Climbing Ben Lawers overlooking Loch Tay
Snowdonia
English foot paths
Historical Society in England (They love to re-enact everything)
Guinness
Edradour (Best single malt wiskey in scotland)
Getting my first Irish Wolfhound
Playing Cricket for the local town team
and the hundred thousand welcomes from everyone we went.

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
Ivory 
Posted: 05-Aug-2004, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Arizona

female

CelticRose, I'm going to the British Isles next spring and am really excited about it. Though I've been to England and France a couple of times, this will be my first visit to Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Since I'm a Celtic singer by profession, my plan is to take a small recording device and get as many new songs on tape as possible. I'd take my fiddle if I could get away with it! I've been making a list of places I really want to see, and stay. Because staying in at least one castle would be fabulous. By the way, I'm in Arizona too!

Ivory biggrin.gif

--------------------
Some succeed because they are destined to...others because they are determined to.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Aug-2004, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Ivory! that is truly wonderful! I had planned on going to Scotland next year but we had an unexpected major medical bill come our way and so now I am not sure.

You will have to PM me and tell me where in Arizona you are. I will tell you where I am then. We had some major rain and thunderstorms today.............wow! As you well know, we need it, eh?
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 29-Aug-2004, 05:10 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Granada, Spain

male

I've been in the Uk, in England, Scotland and Wales, but over all enjoyed the Ulster (and Eire) much more (That's doesn't mean that it wasn't bad in the UK!).

I like the most Scotland, but It's hard to visit the Highlands propetly with an arranged trip... If you want an advice, discover the Highlands on your own! People are friendly, and a bus won't take you to the nice spots. Hire a cara, or do some hitch-hiking (it works!).

If you have a pipe, take it with ya. There's a popula law in Scotland; You can not stop a piper from playing in the street (so it doesn't matter how bad you're, just go and play!).

You can be told, but you'll never discover util you experience, that's the magic of travelling! Have fun!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Sep-2004, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Spanish Rover! sounds like you have traveled a lot! I hope to do so in the UK myself one day. Things keep coming up to take away my money though! sad.gif

Thanks for all the advice too! We plan to rent a car when we go too. We both feel that is the best way to see everything we want, especially when we want to do the photographing thing! wink.gif smile.gif
Elly 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 02:07 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacReed

female

Yes I think you are better with a car, there are so many things the trains and tourist buses miss, glad you`ve decided on the car, Rose thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 06:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

I was born there, (so I'm biased). I love the place and return home as often as possible.

I was there in 99 and again last year.

Ireland is a must, Cornwall too is good if you love celtic studies, Wales too.
London is great if you love English history as I do.

Scotland is a must if the weather is good, Skye and Iona are beautiful.

Only other advice i would give is.....take me with you! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Madadh 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 06:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

We took several trips while stationed in England. What we found worked the best was to get a cottage and then do day trips. When you do the trips, you are never rushed. If you are going to Scotland, take a designated driver...the wiskey tastes better when you don't have to drive.

We also found that October is a great month to travel in both Ireland and Scotland. Yes it is cooler, but most of the crowds are much smaller and since it is at the end of the season, the values and savings are better. Also have the merchants send your purchases to you. If you are not a UK citizen, you save on the VAT that way.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]