Annabelle 
Posted: 24-Nov-2004, 12:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Hey Gals! I just got my new washable kilt from Kelly Stewart one of the owners of USA Kilts!

She made me the cutiest kilt and it was very reasonable
If you are interested in getting a "Philabeg Kilt" from her call her at: 610-650-8725 or contact her on their web page of www.usakilts.com

Thanks Kelly! It's perfect!!!!

Love it!!!!

Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 24-Nov-2004, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Wake Forest, NC

male

Let's see a picture! smile.gif

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
bubba 
Posted: 24-Nov-2004, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

Kelly and Rocky do great work for a reasonable price and their turnaround time is very short. I know quite a few guys that have kilts from USA Kilts and they are very happy with the quality.

--------------------
[SIZE=7]Curtesie is cumbersom to them that kens it not.
PMEmail Poster               
vorlich 
Posted: 24-Nov-2004, 10:53 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Hi Annabelle, pleased to hear about your new kilt. I have heard many good things about USA Kilts however there is just one thing which I just don't get. The site neglects to tell you anything about the fabric. That is the weight of it. And the type of material, -wool? polyester? poly/viscose? Also how much is used. Are they 4-yard kilts or 8-yard, or somewhere in between? These considerations are perhaps the most important and yet they are missing on the site. How could this be? (I just wrote my second email telling them this) The Philabeg looks good though. I come very close to ordering one tonight! Good luck with your Philabeg. - Vorlich
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 12:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (vorlich @ 24-Nov-2004, 10:53 PM)
The site neglects to tell you anything about the fabric. That is the weight of it. And the type of material, -wool? polyester? poly/viscose? Also how much is used. Are they 4-yard kilts or 8-yard, or somewhere in between? These considerations are perhaps the most important and yet they are missing on the site. How could this be? (I just wrote my second email telling them this)

Rocky is having the web page reworked. I'm sure he would love any input on making it a better and more informative page for his customers.
PMEmail Poster               
bubba 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 12:05 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

male

The fabrics are mostly poly/viscose, but there are a few wool and wool blends. That info is going to be put back on the site. They did a major overhaul of their website recently so some things aren't back in place yet. The weight of the poly/vis is roughly equivalent to 11 oz wool, some a tad heavier. The philabeg is, I think, 6 to 8 yards, the traditional is 8 yards, give or take depending on your measurements. As for some of the info that isn't on the site, it will be back on soon according to Rocky. Being essentially a 2 person operation they do remarkably well.
PMEmail Poster               
vorlich 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Hi, Yeah Bubba, I would really appreciate your evaluation of poly/viscose as a kilt fabric. Someone had told me that p/v tartans are printed. Horrors! Bear at Bearkilts sent me some swatches (excellent service) and I was really impressed. They are all woven and the colours are great. If the weight of pv is around 10 ounces as you say, it's just a pity that they couldn't somehow make it just a little heavier say 14 ozs. That would make it a good all-purpose kilt fabric wouldn't it? Maybe the manufacturers are making a general-purpose fabric because they see more potential for huge sales in the pant trade. Are you able to buy pv yardage to make your own kilts? Another consideration with synthetics is piling. Have you found that this is much of a problem? Thanks Bubba.
But your right, other than what I mentioned, Rocky and company seem to be doing a fantastic job with the site. Very professional. - Vorlich
PMEmail Poster               
bubba 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Poly/vis is very good kilt material and is very comfortable by all reports. Granted, a poly/blend kilt isn't a tank, but guys do wear them in the winter and if they get wet they dry pretty fast. Poly/vis is generally good fabric, but I'm cheap. I have a kilt I made out of polyester/Rayon blend twill that I like alot. I'm not a stckler on authentic tartans so I buy what I find on sale at local fabric stores. With a little care piling isn't a real problem, but if it happens it's easy enough to take care of. You can use sweater shaver on it, or if you have a real steady hand, a disposable razor. My poly/rayon kilt is roughly a 10 zo so I doubled the fabric in the aprons. Other than that I made a stadard 8 yard out of it. It's been warm enough into the upper 20s so far, and was comfortable at 80 degrees. Bear probably has the best quality PV kilts going, with USA a very close second. Of course Bear has quite a wait. If you really want to get into kilts you should try www.xmarksthescot.com. Bear, Rocky and Robert from RKilts are regulars there, as well as other good kiltmakers. There's quite a few of us there and we have a great community centered around kilts.
PMEmail Poster               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

I would also love to see a picture of the kilt if you could get one for all of us!

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt