Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,706 Gold!

Quote from Falachaidh, posted on Dec. 02 2001,11:25Quote:
How in the world would/could you start tracing a Manx heritage?

Falachaidh,

Is the Manx name from Ireland or Scotland? I have alot of books on Scottish surnames, so if it is from Scotland I will look it up.

A good place to start is the internet. Newsgroups, webpages, geneology.com. Also relatives are an excellent source of information. You never know what secrests grandma and grandpa might hold.

For me, researching my family background I thought would take me a long time. My plan was to obtain death certificates, birth records, marriage records, census data and keep going back until I had built a historical record.

Once I started making contacts with various groups I stumbled upon a MacArthur mail list and they directed me to a man (not a MacArthur) who had already researched my entire family all the way back to 1770. He had put his work in a booklet that was for sale, so I bought it for $20 and had all the information. So you never know, the information you are looking for could very well be out there. It is just a matter of finding it!
:0

Well, hope that helps you get started with a few ideas. I think Dave from this forum is a good source for family look up names and has an excellent clan page.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Falachaidh 
Posted: 02-Dec-2001, 10:25 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Central Florida

Hello all!
How in the world would/could you start tracing a Manx heritage?
My mom informed me we have a lot of Manx blood in us, but we're not sure where or how or even why.
I started doing our family tree, purely by accident. We have a lot of pictures and in order to keep everyone straight, I wound up doing a short sketch.
As far as I always knew, we only had one uncle who was from Ireland that married into the family. She always thought we were English.
Thanks in advance for any help.
(rose)

--------------------
Dance Life to the Fullest.
PMEmail Poster               
Falachaidh 
  Posted: 15-Apr-2002, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Central Florida

I know this is a bit delayed...
I recently bought the Family Tree Maker for the computer. It's such a huge thing with lots of sources. It did help me a bit, but I think I've researched all I can for now.
I have English and Irish names, which I have traced to Scottish clans; but I remember my grandmother saying they were of manx and welsh descent. I cannot find any trace to that of the manx line.
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 12-Nov-2002, 06:48 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I know this is a bit late, but here's some information re 'Manx'..

Manx is the old name for the place called the Isle of Man - it is an island between Ireland and NW England.  The Manx official website is as follows
http://www.isle-of-man.com/

I have visited the Isle of Man quite a few times - and it is very reminiscent of areas of Scotland and Ireland.  The people there often have Scots and Irish surnames and Scots/Irish ancestry.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]