Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 05:27 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

You never know what President Obama will say next when he doesn't have his teleprompter!

President Obama Jokes About Being a Bad Bowler: 'It's Like the Special Olympics'

I was sure that it was impossibe for people of color to be non-PC? unsure.gif

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 06:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I knew when he said it the sh$t would hit the fan. I expect they started drafting the apology as the words left his mouth! It is all over the early news.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Aurora3223 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Pasadena, Maryland

female

While I agree that it will receive the media backlash for the next couple weeks, I really don't see a big deal with what was said. I think that our media blows everything out of proportion and makes mountains out of mole hills. I have not been an Obama supporter from the start, but I will say that I can appreciate how "real" he is. He is down to earth and there is something attractive about that. We have ALL had a moment in our lives where we have suspended judgement or said something that could be interpreted in the wrong way. He is human and I think this comment just reiterates that fact.

--------------------
Photobucket

"The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." Socrates

"Far better than any dream girl is one of different blood; one warm, caring and right before your eyes." Grimsby, The Little Mermaid
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (MacEoghainn @ 20-Mar-2009, 06:27 AM)

I was sure that it was impossibe for people of color to be non-PC? unsure.gif

Whatever would make you think that? I'm sure the equal opportunity ethos extends at least that far.

I think he'd do better to avoid the popular venues, no matter what it is he's trying to accomplish for his image as an "everyman," because, along with his other oratory skills, he has a moderate amount of off-the-cuff talent that could be turned toward stand-up comedy, as well as the itch that most men have to display their joke-cracking skills, whether they are good at it or not. It's too easy to screw up this way, and there are too many disaffected watchers who would like to take him to task on principle. But really, he's damned if he does or if he doesn't. When he's sounding presidential, he's "elitist;" when he lets his hair down, he's making non-PC gaffes. He's going to have to find his own level. Personally, I think he's better off sticking to his presidential role and letting the people who think he's an elitist just sit there and suck their teeth in peace.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Yeah, he made a simple slip that the majority of people in both of these countries would make in a heartbeat. But looking at the bigger picture, at least he knew what words he was using, and was able to pronounce them.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Personally I think PC has gone way to far, but have found the Black race is the quickest to react to a perceived slur. In reality I know that many discuss Anglo's and Spanish in less than complimentary terms privately and even publicly at times. I take no offense.

When you want all to be PC, you have to live with it yourself.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

I'm with you there. On the other hand, if anyone ever called me a Cracker, I'd lose my pooh on them. I have been called a "God-damned Gentile" by a Jewish fellow once, and took him to task without a second thought.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 20-Mar-2009, 12:22 PM)
Yeah, he made a simple slip that the majority of people in both of these countries would make in a heartbeat. But looking at the bigger picture, at least he knew what words he was using, and was able to pronounce them.

NOT ME. I was about 8 and in the third grade. there was a 15 year old in my class who was waiting to turn 16, the legal age when he could quit school.

One evening at dinner, for some reason now lost in distant memory I referred to this kid as a "ret--d." My father knocked me off my chair and then lectured me until I had no desire to finish my meal. I do not recall EVER using that word again until just now and I remembered the lesson " not to talk badly about those who can not defend themselves.'

There can be no excuses when one belittles those who are unable to defend them selves.

Whatever bad press comes of this he earned.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

I watched him last night and when he said what he had for a score I Did Not Think anything about "Special Olympics". There will be the press who are not going too like him and there are going to be Americans that are not going to like him. He is more connected to the people then another President that I will not say his name. So all the people whose first thought was he was making fun of a certain group of people you go bowl a game and then if your score is 129 stop and think where does that put you.

By the way I have bowled three straight 300 games in one night,but then I bowled on a league.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I doubt I could do as well as he did but I would NEVER make that comment!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

I'm with you there. On the other hand, if anyone ever called me a Cracker, I'd lose my pooh on them. I have been called a "God-damned Gentile" by a Jewish fellow once, and took him to task without a second thought.

Dude! You have to be from Georgia to be a Cracker. It's a State designation.

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 20-Mar-2009, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

The head of "Special Olympics' "accepted the presidents apology, but------"

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 23-Mar-2009, 05:22 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Apology given, apology accepted. I think that's the end of this story, since it doesn't involve the rest of us.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 23-Mar-2009, 06:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

The apology was accepted BUT with the SO statement as to how deeply hurtfull it was to the participants in the program.

I have a news release from a young man, a participant in special olympics, who is challenging the president to a bowling match. It will not happen of course and should not.

I have seen no American on this forum criticize or support your leadership and I question why you have such an interest in ours.

We in the US will continue to applaud or criticize our president as fits our beliefs.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 23-Mar-2009, 06:35 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

I have no idea why I get so caught up in US politics. Really I don't. I just read a lot about it through a news hound site, Bourque.org. We are affected by most federal policy changes in the US, so being aware of what the elephant is doing is necessary, then I get caught up in things like this.

Anyway, after an apology, an admittance of doing wrong, what would you have him to do make YOU happy? Resign? He said words, and then corrected/addressed the issue with words. What more needs to be done here?
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]