Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Surnames, Does it really reveal your heritage?
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

There is NO misspelling at all, Elspeth!
Now, about the Sauerland I could tell you a wee bit as my best girlfriend is living in this area and it's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours by car from where I'm living now.
The best would be you ask what you are interested most in and I will give you any information I can. Including the one or other URL...but I need a bit time to collect the informations.
All in all the Sauerland is a region with middle-high mountains, some lakes and barrages; a bit rough sometimes but beautiful landscape; good possibilities for winter sports...
If you want I can look up some information especially about Schwarzenau/Bad Berleburg...
I'm not sure what you are looking for especially - so, please, ask...

P.S.
Found some more dates:
Schwarzenau (850 citizens, 360 - 590 m over N.N. )is called the pearl of the River Eder Valley. It is situated in a distance of about 10 km to Bad Berleburg. This village is the origin of the "Church of Brethren" in the USA.

If you want to see some pictures of the village:
http://ulrich.perwass.de/galerie/gal11/gal11a.htm

Click the photo on the top of the site. A gallery is opened. Click "Folge 1" and view pictures...until "Folge 6" to view all pictures of Schwarzenau and the landscape!

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Oh, I forgot about Krefeld. Krefeld is a rather big town at the Rhine (Rhein) situated between Dortmund and Düsseldorf at the other side of the river. This is really "Rheinland" at its best!
It's not far from where Aon had lived so she should be able to tell you more about it than me: it's the region where she grew up (well, not exactly but rather near!) if I remember right...
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

you do =) (I totally forgot to check this thread once in a while *smacks her forehead*)

Krefeld is about 15 minutes from Düsseldorf via the motorway so it's really quite close =) It's not overly big but it's nice for going shopping and around it are alot of smaller towns of which some are really old.
I remember that some years ago there was a tanker-accident on the rhine at Krefeld and my school was in the north of Düsseldorf right on the Rhine. The explosion was so big it even made the windows of my school tremble and they had to replace them all due to instability...

http://www.krefeld.de/
this is the official website of the town, only in German though =/ but you can go to "Tourismus" and then "Grußkarten aus Krefeld" and it will show you postcards of Krefeld.

Krefeld is a part of the Region called "Niederrhein" (Lower Rhine) and this is the official tourism website:
http://www.niederrhein-touristik.de/

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

Off Topic question for the Germans here.

Can someone gove me a translation of the surname Scholl?

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

mmh I can't find it.. sorry ravenwing... maybe if someone has the "Familiennamen Duden" (it's an ecyclopedia for surnames)...
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Feb 18 2004, 12:12 PM)
you do =) (I totally forgot to check this thread once in a while *smacks her forehead*)

biggrin.gif Hey, you're too young for senior moments...that's my job!!! wink.gif

RavenWing; this is no name which can be translated easily as e.g. "Mueller" = "Miller"...will be looking to find something...
RavenWing 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

Thanks anyway, I could pester you with quite a few, but that is the one I was really curious about.
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

there is a few surname pages I looked up but I didn't find the meaning of it yet.. sorry...
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Thanks gaberlunzie and Aon! The pictures are great.

It's so cool to see the places my ancestors came from. Not a great suprise to see it looks very like Pennsylvania where they settled.

I suppose what I want to know is what the landscape is like, what people did to make a living, especially back in the 1600's to early 1700's, was there some special industry besides farming. What crops does the land best support. Was it a sheep area, or cattle. What was the dress like. Is it an area that is close in its history to its German counterparts, or was it more influenced by it's Dutch neighbors, or was everyone just trying to make a living. I don't know what I want to know. I suppose what little tidbits of history and culture makes this area what it is.

As I think of more questions I'll ask! rolleyes.gif

Thanks

BTW, do either of you have any idea where the name Berkey would have originated from? We were always told German. But it would be Swiss or Austrian or who knows what. Could have been spelled Burkey at one time as well.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Berkey? hmm I don't have a clue.. btw, there is photos of the landscape in the niederrhein touristic page, just go and look around regardless of the language.. there should be photos.
The thing about that area is: it's very flat. There are alot of old farms around that still look alot like a hundred years ago if you can imagine them without modern gear.
There is alot of World War II things around, like the Tank-stops and the motorways which were built for quick transport of troups to the front. As well some strips of the motorways are completely flat and were built for bombers to land on and the like.

There is a peculiarity that you find at the Niederrhein. Alleys of a certain type of tree which is capped at the top frequently (the look awful in that time) to form some sort of bulb on the top of the stem. It's on the opening page of the Niederrhein touristic page the bottom right photo.
Another thing alot of ppl think of when they think of the region is windmills...

EDIT: found a better photo
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Elspeth; if Berkey, Burkey is of German origin it MIGHT come from the name "Buerger", "Burger", which means "townsman, citizen".
Aon, what do you think?

RavenWing;

I found a bit about the surname "Scholl" in an encyclopaedia. It is said that "Scholl"
can have several meanings.

1) coming from "Scholle" which means a clod or a lump of earth and is related to "Bauer" which means "farmer" or - in the figurative meaning - a "clumsy man".

2) coming from an expression of an old form of German "schol" = "guilty"="instigator".

This is all I could find.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

well I found a village near Hameln which is called Berkel. I was having a look into Berkey but as a reference I only found Berkey in Ohio and an article about a German family who emigrated to that particular place (I think they were "Menonites" (how was it spelled?)). Since ppl often took up the name of the place they came from that might be a clue. A very wobbly one though.

Well, Berkey & Burkey are sounding similar when pronounced English so there might be a connection...
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (gaberlunzie @ Feb 18 2004, 08:07 PM)
Elspeth; if Berkey, Burkey is of German origin it MIGHT come from the name "Buerger", "Burger", which means "townsman, citizen".
Aon, what do you think?

RavenWing;

I found a bit about the surname "Scholl" in an encyclopaedia. It is said that "Scholl"

1) coming from "Scholle" which means a clod or a lump of earth and is related to "Bauer" which means "farmer" or - in the figurative meaning - a "clumsy man".

2) coming from an expression of an old form of German "schol" = "guilty"="instigator".

Wow, thanks for all the information. You really didn't have to go to all that trouble, though.
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 18 2004, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (gaberlunzie @ Feb 18 2004, 08:07 PM)
Aon, what do you think?

RavenWing;

Wow, thanks for all the information. You really didn't have to go to all that trouble, though.

Oh, you're welcome...no problem at all! It's a subject I'm very interested in and so it was fun! laugh.gif I am glad I could help...
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

I second that, gaberlunzie.. I like doing research on all sorts of things. I will have to get my surname book over one day though...
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]