> Senior Research Project, Vocal Celtic Tradition
MKOC19 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

female

I am in my senior year of college and I am working on my Independant Study. It is pretty much how it sounds I study something by myself and I meet with a professor so that they know that I am on track and then I give a presentation on everything that I have been studying.

My school does not have a world music class and that is kind of what I wanted to focus on. I decided to do mine on Celtic Music mainly focusing on the vocal tradition since I am a vocal performance major. At this point in time I am listening to lots of music and looking to buy scores and sheet music. I am looking for any sort suggestions of certian songs to look at or certain artists. There is a lot out there and I need help getting though some of it.

So if anyone has pieces that they absolutely love I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

smile.gif
PMEmail Poster                
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Hi MKOC!
I once did an independent study, in photography. It was the last class I did before getting my degree. It was also probably the most worthwhile too.
Since I am no more than a music lover, not a musician or vocalist, I cannot offer too much. But I did think that something in the Welsh tradition might be worth looking in to.

Good luck!
PMEmail Poster               
MKOC19 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 08:59 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

It is my goal to touch on the different aspects of the Celtic Tradition. Thanks for the suggestion though.

smile.gif

Mary
PMEmail Poster                
haynes9 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 09:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Here are some artists and groups, in no particular order, that you might want to look into.

Altan (Started by the late, great Frankie Kennedy and his wife)
The Chieftains (Been around forever)
Old Blind Dogs (Great progressive trad group from Scotland)
Teada (Young Irish group whose music is steeped in tradition. Their latest project includes a DVD that traces the roots of their music. Might give you some good ideas)
The Bothy Band (Legends)
Cathie Ryan (Maybe the top soloist in the business today)
Lunasa (strictly instrumental and incredible talents)

This might be a good jumping off point for you. Hope this is in line with what you are looking for, Mary.

Take care and have a great day.

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Cool!
Let us know how this turns out.

smile.gif smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Here is a link you might want to look at.
http://ceolas.org/ceolas.html

You may also want to check out a form of Irish music called lilting. This, if I remember right, is the use of the voice to make music when the use of insturments was outlawed in Ireland. I'll see if I can find a more correct definition.

One group that I know of that has a lilting song is the bridies. It should be in their sound samples.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Lilting definition from Wikipedia
Lilting also known as Celtic Mouth Music (puirt-a-beul), diddling, jigging, chin music or cheek music.)

In lilting lyrics written primarily for dancing to and of secondary importance behind the rhythm and tone in the song.

The lyrics in lilting are often meaningless or nonsensical. Many Gaelic singers therefore do not believe in publishing translations of lilting. The origins of lilting or puirt are unclear and may have resulted from the banning of native instruments after the 1745 uprising, or the religious opposition to musical instruments (at its height in the mid-19th century).
The fourth track on Bridies "4 and 9" Cd is a good example of a lilting song even though it does have some music behind it.

www.thebridies.com
PMEmail Poster               
MKOC19 
Posted: 31-Jan-2007, 12:04 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

THIS IS GREAT! Exactly what I needed.

Haynes- Thanks for the suggestions some of those groups I have heard of others I have not. This is the stuff that I am looking for. Thanks so much.

Roberto- I will feel redundant if I use great again, but it is. I have heard of lilting before, but I haven't gotten that far in my reading. It will be interesting if I can actually find sheet music for that. I will tell you what I came up with. Thanks for the example as well. Greatly appreciated.

This is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. So, if anyone has any other suggestions on music, artists, books anything would be wonder.

THANKS!!!

smile.gif
Mary
PMEmail Poster                
sisterknight 
Posted: 31-Jan-2007, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

please don't laugh at this suggestion but.......have you checked out your hymn book lately???i play tin whistle and there is alot of celtic tunes in there, mine is the presbyterian church, but the united also have tunes!! note.gif note.gif

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 31-Jan-2007, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

The Clancey Brothers and Tommy Makem have a tremendous store of Irish vocal. If you can find some of their more obscure albums you will find a wealth of lesser known songs.

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 31-Jan-2007, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Don't forget the Irish Rovers-about the same time period as the Clancy Brothers. There is also the Wolftones, the Fury's, and Battlefield Band on the Scottish side of things. You can also check Entertainers lists on Irish and celtic festival websites. Alot of them have links directly to the bands. CDbaby.com also has a good Celtic section. Its a sun genre of the world music section.
PMEmail Poster               
MKOC19 
Posted: 31-Jan-2007, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

Dogshirt and Roberto

The two of you read my mind. biggrin.gif I actually grew up listening to Clacy Brothers and Tommy Makem, the Irish Rovers and the Chieftiens to name a few. These were albums and tapes that my father listened to when he was younger. I remember songs that my father used to sing to me and my sibilings when we were younger at night. I dont even know who some of them are by, but that can be pretty common in folk traditions.

Sister,

I hadnt thought about that or that far just yet, but it is something I will have to look into after I have done a little more research. THANKS!

smile.gif

Mary
PMEmail Poster                
MKOC19 
Posted: 31-Jan-2007, 10:28 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

Excuse me: Chieftains. It helps to read it again before one posts it.

biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster                
stoirmeil 
Posted: 01-Feb-2007, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

You will need to take time with the recordings of Jean Redpath. She is the definitive modern performer of the lowland Scots ballad (she never worked in gaidhlig, unfortunately) and various other genre songs, like children's songs, and she has recorded all of the songs of Robert Burns. She concentrated on this as her collge degree work -- and she studied with one of the great folk music scholars, collecters and performers of the generation before her, by the name of Hamish Henderson. Just google on both their names and you will see what I mean.

I assume you know about the collected Child Ballads (your library should have it; some of it is on line). It's a study all in itself how the various modern performers use the multiple variant versions, combine verses from them, etc. You also want to take a look into puirt-a-beul, or "mouth music," which is sung on nonsense syllables to accompany work or the dance. Check out "tweed waulking songs" which are used for the processing of woolen textiles. There are fabulous old National Geographic recordings of native workers doing these. Start with the music librarian of your college for help in getting them.

You'll want to look into collectons of songs by both Thomas Moore and Robert Burns. This is more scholarly background. Then comparing all this with modern performance should be very rewarding.

And you really have to take a look at the new output of the band called Runrig, who are writing all manner of wonderful, modern new songs in the Scots gaidhlig language. This is the new development in celtic traditional music -- the ethnic fusions using a popular rock idiom with old or old-sounding tunes and the native language, and renewed nationalistic themes. Runrig's lyrics are available on line, and we have some of their recordings on this site.
PMEmail Poster               
MKOC19 
Posted: 01-Feb-2007, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

Stoirmeil-

Wow, this is a lot of great information. Some of it I already knew, but a lot of it I didn't know. I knew that I had some reading to do, but I am coming to realize how little I know. I guess thats what happens; the longer then one is in school the more you come to realize how little one knows. That just comes with the territory, but I am looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks for the suggestions of Thomas Moore and Robert Burns. One of the pieces that I am set on doing is "Believe me if all those Endearing Young Charms" by Thomas Moore. This piece has a lot of personal meaning in my family. This song has been apart of my family for generations.

I'm really excited about all of this.

smile.gif

Mary
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]