LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 05-Jun-2008, 05:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

It is said Colonel Richard M. Johnson of Kentucky shot and killed Tecumseh but that does have its controversy.
USN; 

Thanks for the name. I was to lazy to look it up must be sign of getting older or just senile.

Camac.

Thanks Ulster glad you join in our little thread of this intriguing war.

And Mr.Camac please don't ever say that to me that you're getting older or senile.
I won't hear it. Not an intelligent man like you.

Now back to business, I don't know if you can call this war complicated because in my eyes it seems complicated because I don't think anybody knew what they were really doing. Or is it me that misunderstand the whole thing.
Maybe it seems this way because too many were involved...

LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PMRead My Blog View My Photographs               
Camac
Posted: 05-Jun-2008, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 05-Jun-2008, 06:39 PM)
It is said Colonel Richard M. Johnson of Kentucky shot and killed Tecumseh but that does have its controversy.
USN; 

Thanks for the name. I was to lazy to look it up must be sign of getting older or just senile.

Camac.

And Mr.Camac please don't ever say that to me that you're getting older or senile.

Now back to business, I don't know if you can call this war complicated because in my eyes it seems complicated because I don't think anybody knew what they were really doing. Or is it me that misunderstand the whole thing.

LOA

LOA;

The following is taken from Official American Military History:

"To Great Britain the War of 1812 was simply a burdensome adjunct of its greater conflict against Napoleonic France. To the Canadians it was clearly a case of naked American aggression.But to the Americans it was neither simple nor clear. The United States entered the War with confused objectives and divided loyalties and made peace without settling any of the issues that had induced the Nation to go to War."

This is one of the better description of what the combatants at the time felt.

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 06-Jun-2008, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

With the death of Tecumseh, it pretty much ended the hopes of Natives to rid themselves of the white man and allowed the major settlement of the Ohio Valley and what was known as the Connecticut Western Reserves. This is about when my ancestors then headed out to the Ohio territories from Massachusetts and settled on the frontier.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 06-Jun-2008, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 05-Jun-2008, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 05-Jun-2008, 06:39 PM)
USN; 

Camac.

LOA

LOA;

"To Great Britain the War of 1812 was simply a burdensome adjunct of its greater conflict against Napoleonic France. To the Canadians it was clearly a case of naked American aggression.But to the Americans it was neither simple nor clear. The United States entered the War with confused objectives and divided loyalties and made peace without settling any of the issues that had induced the Nation to go to War."

Camac.

HI My Lady!!!!!

This is a great summary, in fact the simpliest and to the point I have read on The War of 1812.

Just the divisions in New England alone were enough to make this war a complicated matter.
Within the historical context, no nation had been created like the US before, with states rights, individual rights, national rights so still undefined and universally excepted within the nation itself.
Camac
Posted: 06-Jun-2008, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

USN.

There were divisions here in Canada because a great many of the new settlers were American and it wasn't known how they would side. There was also the Quebec question for here again there were families on both sides of the border. Also unrest against the British government was starting to forment and after this war there would be two rebellions here in Canada one in Upper Canada and one in Lowere Canada. Both were crushed by Military force.

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 06-Jun-2008, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 06-Jun-2008, 10:03 AM)
USN.

There were divisions here in Canada because a great many of the new settlers were American and it wasn't known how they would side. There was also the Quebec question for here again there were families on both sides of the border. Also unrest against the British government was starting to forment and after this war there would be two rebellions here in Canada one in Upper Canada and one in Lowere Canada. Both were crushed by Military force.

Camac.

So true, this is one of the many reasons the New England states were against this war. Many of the new settlers to the north country were New Englanders with family still in the NE states. Many of these settlers simply wanted to be left alone and wanted no part of any nations bickerings.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 06-Jun-2008, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 05-Jun-2008, 08:23 PM)

LOA;

Camac.

Camac,
What you are quoting here is pretty similar to one of my comments on this war that I posted previouly on this topic.At least where the Americans were concerned.

Here it is.

It is almost as if the Americans (no offense) had nothing to do better than to declare war because they found the Brits to slow to answer their demands!!!! I hope that I've misunderstood this because if so no wonder it is not spoken very much about.

I found it sad that a war like this only brought destruction on the new land for what? Like Camac said war is all about alliance but this one brought nothing in the end. It's almost as if the people then declared war just to declare war because it was the "in" thing to do. And without really thinking of the aftermath.

It is in fact a complex war!

LOA
Camac
Posted: 06-Jun-2008, 05:34 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

USN;

An anecdote I read somewhere about feelings in Canada about the war was that before the Battle of Cryslers' Farm an British Officer was exhorting a Canadian Militia unit about fighting for God and King. A voice rose out of the formation shouting "Yeah lets throw these Yankee Bastards out. A great cheer rose up and after it had died down another voice called out "Yeah then its you Bastards turn" Whether this actually happened is hard to say as they is no real proof that it did. If it did happen it must have been a Scotsman.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 06-Jun-2008, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 06-Jun-2008, 07:34 PM)
USN;

An anecdote I read somewhere about feelings in Canada about the war was that before the Battle of Cryslers' Farm an British Officer was exhorting a Canadian Militia unit about fighting for God and King. A voice rose out of the formation shouting "Yeah lets throw these Yankee Bastards out. A great cheer rose up and after it had died down another voice called out "Yeah then its you Bastards turn" Whether this actually happened is hard to say as they is no real proof that it did. If it did happen it must have been a Scotsman.

Camac.

lol.gif Yes Camac it surely must have been. So typical of Scots.

LOA
Camac
Posted: 06-Jun-2008, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

LOA; Why Thank You My Lady.

thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 07-Jun-2008, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 07-May-2008, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (Rebecca Ann @ 07-May-2008, 08:06 PM)
For the most part the War of 1812 is a forgotten war.  It is rarely taught in schools even in the states.  Infact it was during this war that Francis Scott Key wrote our National Anthem (The Star Spangled Banner).  It is a neat and most wonderful story. 
Rebecca

Rebecca Ann;

The ironic thing about your National Anthem is that it is sung to the tune of an old English Drinking song. Possibly the War is not taught in your schools is the fact on land with the exception of The Battle of New Orleans, Monrovia and a few other minor skirmishes the U.S. Army of the day was beaten. Your Navy on the other hand did a superb job.

Camac.

Another funny song is Yankee Doodle Dandy. It was meant to be a British insult to the Americans, but they took a liking to the tune and words and now it is a classic ditty that well represents the States and New England especially.
Camac
Posted: 08-Jun-2008, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

ausn;

I came across a book review in Google Scholars entitled "War of 1812, A Forgotten Conflict" by Donald R. Hickey, seemed very interesting what little I read. In 2012 it will be the 200th anniversary and there are petitions galore going around for the boys in Ottawa to mark it. This nasty unwanted little spat brought about many changes in both Countries and it should be celebrated with all due pomp and circumstances. A while back while excavatiing for a building in Niagara Falls they came across the grave of quite a few American Soldiers and they were disinterned and returnd to the states with full Military Honours.

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 09-Jun-2008, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Camac, It has been awhile since I read anything about the war. Last time I reviewed it was when I worked with my son on his project and that was 4 years ago. I will add another book to my list.
Thx,
USN
Camac
Posted: 09-Jun-2008, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 09-Jun-2008, 11:33 AM)
Camac, It has been awhile since I read anything about the war. Last time I reviewed it was when I worked with my son on his project and that was 4 years ago. I will add another book to my list.
Thx,
USN

USN;

I just ordered three (3) more books on the War:

1. Don't Give up the Ship; Myths of the War of 1812.

2. Field of Glory; The Battle of Crysler's Farm

3. The Battle of Lundy's Lane.

This will bring my collection up to an even dozen. Lots of reference material and differing points of view. thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 09-Jun-2008, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 09-Jun-2008, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 09-Jun-2008, 11:33 AM)
Camac, It has been awhile since I read anything about the war. Last time I reviewed it was when I worked with my son on his project and that was 4 years ago.  I will add another book to my list.
Thx,
USN

USN;

I just ordered three (3) more books on the War:

1. Don't Give up the Ship; Myths of the War of 1812.

2. Field of Glory; The Battle of Crysler's Farm

3. The Battle of Lundy's Lane.

This will bring my collection up to an even dozen. Lots of reference material and differing points of view. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Camac.

Camac, Ok, now you're pushing it!!! laugh.gif
I can't read this fast!!
To many good books so little time.
USN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]