Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cdn. Flag, U.S Vet cuts down Cdn. Flag.
Camac
Posted: 14-May-2009, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

This morning in the National Post is an article about a U.S. Veteran who cut down the Canadian flag. It seems a Golf and Country Club in Florida decided to recognize the Canadian Snow Birds (retirees) contributions to the club and community by erecting a 30 metre Flag Pole on which to fly the Cdn. Flag. They followed all the rules ensuring the new Flag was the same height as the American flag and that the flag was of equal size. Well a 65 year old local veteran took umbrage at a foreign flag flying on American soil and cut the flag down. He was arrested for tresspassing and public mischief and with a lot of profanity said he would die for his rights. What he did was a childish ignorant act and I wonder what he would think if someone in Canada went around cutting down all the American Flags that fly here. Just about every business that either trades or caters to American Tourist fly the Stars and Stripes. Some time it looks like there are more US flags flying than our own. No one that I know gets upset and I have never heard of anyone going around cutting them down. 30 years ago when I lived north of Toronto in a small town on Canada Day there were more Jacks Flying than the Maple Leaf. The town was named Orangeville (William of Orange). As long as the international rules are followed it is perfectly acceptable to fly a foreign nations flag on your own soil. I think also that someone should tell this Vet who his best friend and ally is.

Camac.

flora 
Posted: 14-May-2009, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Well Camac what can I say? He behaved terribly. I did read the story and from the comment of the detective it wasn't that he was upset that the Canadian flag was being flown but he thought it should have been a little lower than the American flag. Maybe he didn't know the rules had been changed? Nevertheless how he addressed it was wrong.

We can't let actions of some make us believe the whole barrel of apples is rotten.

I also saw the news article about the Maple leaf flag controversy at Calgary college. No matter where you go, there will be controversy.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 14-May-2009, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

flora,

I missed the article on the flag at Calgary college. What was the controversy?

Camac

flora 
Posted: 14-May-2009, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Camac I just copied the article for you.

The student union at a Calgary college offered an apology to the entire country on Wednesday after reports surfaced the group wasn't rehanging a giant Canadian flag because some considered it a symbol of "exclusion."

The Students Association of Mount Royal College made the apology, with an explanation, as a prominent Canadian historian slammed the original complaint as "idiocy."

The student group found itself in the crosshairs of upset students and nationalists this week over the fact a nine-metre Canadian flag hasn't been returned to the rafters of Wyckham House, a student centre, after a major renovation last fall.

The student union said it was planning to survey students about putting the flag back up after it received an unsigned letter objecting to the flag, claiming that "overt displays of patriotism can also be seen as exclusionary and even sometimes work to undermine democratic ideals."

Matt Koczkur, the association's external vice-president, insisted the issue has been misconstrued.

He said that, far from fearing the Maple Leaf was exclusionary, the association was concerned about damage the flag had received and didn't want to rehang it in less-than-pristine condition.

There were also considerations about where to hang the flag, and whether it should be as large, he said - hence the idea of a survey, he said.

"One per cent of the reason for the survey is whether it is [exclusionary]. The other 99% is where to put it," he said this week.

He said on Wednesday the association has received an "outpouring of support for the flag" since the issue became public.

"We'd just like to offer a sincere apology to any citizens of Canada who may have been offended or upset during the course of this misunderstanding," he said. "We are definitely proud to be flying the Canadian flag within our halls."

The idea that the Canadian flag could be an exclusionary symbol was denounced by prominent Canadian historian Jack Granatstein.

"I just think it's idiotic," said Mr. Granatstein, who said the anonymous complaint was out of whack with how the vast majority of Canadians feel.

"It strikes me as pretty sad when people respond to any complaint from anybody."

Marc Chalifoux, executive director of the Dominion Institute, agreed.

"Both the flag and the Maple Leaf itself are seen as really defining elements of Canada," he said.

He said the flag furor and a recent controversy that saw a New Brunswick elementary school ban the singing of O Canada were both notable for the public backlash they created.

"I think we need to look at the popular reaction among the Canadians to see how deeply they care about these fundamental symbols," he said.

The large flag was originally put up at Mount Royal College as a personal initiative by a student leader in 2006.

Replacing the ensign, which Mr. Koczkur said was damaged when it was being taken down during the renovations, would cost an estimated $800.

Flora

PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 14-May-2009, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,701 Gold!

He certainly does not represent the general sentiment in the U.S. about Canada. I feel proud when I see the Canadian and U.S. Flags flying side by side. Canada is a great nation and perhaps this veteran might be suffering from a bit of PTSD. He probably needs some counseling.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Dogshirt 
Posted: 14-May-2009, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Part of it may be the place that this took place. Here in Washington we are VERY aware of our neighbors to the North, indeed, we have more in common with them than other parts of our own country.
But the further south you go, and the less people realize that Canada is RIGHT THERE. We pass Canadian money at face value here, but in Wyoming they don't even know what it is!
I guess if it isn't in front of their face, then they don't see it!?

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Taliesin 
Posted: 14-May-2009, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

How disrespectful of this guy.

I respect and honor our veterans, but I also respect the laws concerning the flying of flags alongside ours. Not hard to find...

Camac, I agree with Paul that this guy does not represent the sentiment of anyone I know.

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 15-May-2009, 07:51 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

flora; Thank you. College students would protest the sun rising if they could.

To the others I wish to say that the chap in Florida was more than likely an overzealous patriot who doesn't really know to much about the world around him. I know from experience that the further south you go in the states the less is known about Canada. There is one last comment I would like to relate to you. Here in Ontario the electric carts that us "old farts" and some disabled use have to have a small yellow penant flying from a whip like flag staff on their conveyance. It's for safety. Most folk I know and see fly a Canadian flag or some other flag such as the Saltire, Navy Ensign, and the U.S. flag. No big deal. That is with one exception that I will relate. A couple of years ago their was one chap around my age, 60's, scooting around the neighbourhood with his flags flying and I really never paid much attention to him. That is till one day I noticed something was wrong but I still couldn't put my finger on it at first. A few days later it dawned on me. He was flying the Stars and Stripes above the Maple Leaf so I approached him to ask what the Hell he was doing. The answer I got floored me. He said Its a symbol for us Canadians who are Viet Nam Vets. My answer was B.S. I'm a Nam Vet and I've never heard of it. I told him that was he was signalling was that the U.S. had conquered and subjugated Canada and his answer to that was "Yeah they should the U.S is the greatest country in the world. Here I must admit that I lost it. I broke his whipstaff and handed him his American Flag with the words "That if I ever saw him again with the Yankee flag flying above ours I break it off again and shove it up his A-----e". I realized later that what I did was stupid and I should have just walked away but I am a Canadian Nationalist and damn proud of it. Three hours after this occurred the Police knocked on the door and I had to explain what I did and pay for a new Flag staff. The ironic thing is the Constable was a peacekeeper vet and said he might have done the same thing but that I had broken the law and had to make restitution. Which I did. If my little story upsets any of my American Friends, please, I apologize.

Camac.

valpal59 
Posted: 15-May-2009, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

I also agree with Paul. He does not represent the sentiments of anyone I know. I would be very proud to see both flags flying side by side.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
flora 
Posted: 15-May-2009, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Camac and Dogshirt that is the very sentiment I didn't want to be implied. We have many retired Canadians that call Florida home and many that just visit as well. Don't condemn the whole state from the statements made by individuals.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 15-May-2009, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

flora;

Please I am not condemming the whole State of Florida. Floridians and Arizonans might know more about Canada because of the large number of retirees that go there but a lot of the other Southern states know very little about your Northern Cousins. There again the further North you go in Canada the less that is known about the states. Most Canadians have a good knowledge of America beause 90% of our population lives within 250 miles of the border and we get alot of American T.V. so the influence is greater.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 15-May-2009, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Camac.

I disagree with just one thing re: your observations. You should have considered shoving the "cart" up his a#se, not just the fiberglass flag staff!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 15-May-2009, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Patch;

Thanks never thought of that. I know I should'nt have behaved like that but it hit a raw nerve. I like you yanks and I did fight for you but I love Canada.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 15-May-2009, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

You are quite welcome.

There are people out there who have not a clue and they need to be reminded in a way they understand from time to time. At times it is worth paying a "reasonable" price to make your point!

I would bet the look on that persons face was priceless!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]