ranger 
Posted: 01-May-2009, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

I'm a detective sergeant with our local Sheriff's Department. I investigate all Type 1 crimes, but the brunt of them lately has been bunco/white collar crimes. ID Theft, credit and debit card crimes have been growing exponentially here, as I am sure it has been everywhere. Just entered into a financial crimes task force with the Secret Service out of Louisville, hoping to curb some of it here by pulling in the Feds resources.

--------------------
"...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

'The Lord of the Rings' - Book one
PMEmail Poster               
LibraryJim 
  Posted: 01-May-2009, 09:58 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

male

I am an out-of-work Librarian. Budget cuts. I've been actively looking for work since October. It's a tough situation out there right now. I have a stack of letters and emails stating:

Due to the financial crisis, we have decided NOT to fill the advertised position. Thank you for your interest.

Oh well. I'm thinking of standing with my guitar playing Irish music for donations outside one of the local pubs.

Not really. My wife would never allow it. :-)
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted: 04-May-2009, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Keltic Posted on 01-May-2009, 07:09 AM
That's too bad. I hope something comes your way soon. What company were you with? Temporary layoff or permanent? A friend of mine works doing muffler assemblies in Cambridge, ON and with strikes or downturn in the automobile industry, he often ends up on temporary layoff. Temporary a few years ago meant a full year without work. It's hitting way too many people now.

Keltic: Thank you, Keltic. Had to gather my wits...much better today. Unfortunately I can't divulge the company I worked for until it is announced on the news (as per contract); however it was not in auto manufacturing. Temporary layoff....no, it's permanent absolutely everyone was "let go'. Sad scenario for us all sad.gif

valpal59 Posted on 01-May-2009, 08:02 AM
I am so sorry Leelee. I hope something comes your way soon. 
Val

Val: Thanks Lass. Keeping up my hopes smile.gif

j Padraig moore Posted on 01-May-2009, 01:03 PM
Leelee - Cheer up dearie, this may be a golden opportunity for you...

j Padraig moore: Thanks j Padraig moore, I don't feel as lost. I am also a strong believer in everything happens for a reason....and hope that an opportunity comes my way soon thumbs_up.gif

My Profession is a Planning & Facility Coordinator with the Maintenance Dept. biggrin.gif

PM               
Haggishead 
Posted: 04-May-2009, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Roaming the Highlands of my mind

male

I, too, just joined the ranks of the unemployed. Happened yesterday. sad.gif

--------------------
"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
Remember the men from whom you are descended.
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted: 04-May-2009, 04:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Haggishead Posted on 04-May-2009, 01:13 PM
I, too, just joined the ranks of the unemployed. Happened yesterday.

I am sorry to hear Haggishead sad.gif Try to keep in mind...one door closes, another will open with much more promise smile.gif thumbs_up.gif
PM               
lschillinger 
Posted: 04-May-2009, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

QUOTE (j Padraig moore @ 30-Apr-2009, 06:57 AM)
I am a project manager for the largest engineering firm in the US, doing environmental work.

In my dreams I am a wealthy gentleman farmer, living off the land and helping others.

Nice JP. I've been closely monitoring your companies job postings biggrin.gif Trying to get while I still have something to get from!

Lee Lee:
I agree, When one door closes, another opens....sometimes you just have to give it a few shots of WD 40 and wait.....Very few things in life are ever permanate and this is one of them...hopefully you can keep your spirits up in the mean time. I will send some positive job finding karma to you! wink.gif

--------------------
COURAGE GROWS STRONG AT THE WOUND

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

“Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.”

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Leelee 
Posted: 06-May-2009, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

lschillinger Posted on 04-May-2009, 10:40 PM
Lee Lee:
I agree, When one door closes, another opens....sometimes you just have to give it a few shots of WD 40 and wait.....Very few things in life are ever permanate and this is one of them...hopefully you can keep your spirits up in the mean time. I will send some positive job finding karma to you!

Thank you kindly, Ischillinger smile.gif I try to stay positive...there are many more people that have it worse than me. Thank you, I accept your "positive job finding Karma" biggrin.gif I've been looking at Job Postings in intervals throughout the day. If I search too long, it gets a bit confusing and jumbled and my positive outlook wanes. So, interval action is good thumbs_up.gif cheers.gif
PM               
LibraryJim 
Posted: 06-May-2009, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

male

[QUOTE=Leelee,06-May-2009, 03:45 PM][QUOTE]
I've been looking at Job Postings in intervals throughout the day. If I search too long, it gets a bit confusing and jumbled and my positive outlook wanes. [/QUOTE]

It's very hard looking for jobs a) in this market and b ) with everything online. Like I said, I've been out of work since October, and almost all the jobs I've applied for are 'online applications'.

I even went from store to store in the Mall one day, and again, almost every manager told me "Our application process is all computerized now. Any openings we have will be under 'careers' and then when you find one you like, fill in the online application'.

The worst thing about that is that it's not one application and then you click "apply using existing information" it's "a new application must be filled out for every position applied for".

Some universities have it where you fill out the information and upload your resume once, then just click on the position opening and it automatically submits it for you, but generally not.

I've actually come across a few libraries and universities that require you to MAIL in your information, once you download and fill in the application from the site. Then of course, there are the supplements such as resume, cover letter, copies of transcripts or other proof of degree. Last packet I mailed out was $1.57.

Then you sit and wait and wait and sit and wait some more, and finally you get a letter from the college/university/library that says "Thank you for your application. We received many qualified applicants, unfortunately yours was not one of these. Better luck next time." Well, maybe not that blunt, but that's the idea.

And it's very true, searching for jobs while being bombarded by computer monitor light is very hard on the eyes, and leads to loads of frustration.

So, anyway Leelee, best of luck in your search! I know what you are going through!

Jim
Florida
PMEmail Poster               
IrishBeachLassie 
Posted: 06-May-2009, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Huntington Beach, California

female

Hello,
I am a Patient Service Representative for a State Wide and International, Men's Health Clinic in Costa Mesa, California, not far from my home in Huntington Beach, CA. I have been there for 3 years and quite a interesting job.
It is a very tough job market out there; each time I have gone into a job search it takes longer and longer to be hired. sure you can reply to many jobs in the Customer Service field, but getting hired, that's another story; you have huge numbers of people applying for the same job, younger or the same with more or better degrees and that was 3 years ago. There were lay offs in my department and luckily I survived. Searching for a job, interviewing, sending numerous resumes is a job itself.
Good luck to all that are searching, it's not easy.
darlene
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Leelee 
Posted: 07-May-2009, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

LibraryJim Posted on 06-May-2009, 06:05 PM
It's very hard looking for jobs a) in this market and b ) with everything online. Like I said, I've been out of work since October, and almost all the jobs I've applied for are 'online applications'.

So, anyway Leelee, best of luck in your search! I know what you are going through!

Jim
Florida

You definitely hit the nail on the head, Jim. It is difficult applying online, but I persevere. I usually Google the business of the Job Posting and fax my application over, which still works over here in Canada. I don't care to send my Resume over to them online. In the Friday and Saturday Journal we have ample Job Classifieds I look through as well and even the Classifieds can be difficult to read because of the print. rolleyes.gif Thank you for your best wishes and good luck to you too Jim smile.gif Keep your chin up, Lad thumbs_up.gif

PM               
Blackdog 
Posted: 16-May-2009, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

male

Boy it's always been hard being a musician,tough to make ends meet sometimes,but reading back through the postings and seeing all of you getting layed off and looking for work, I feel fortunate. I do really hope things get better for all of you, these are tough times ,but they won't last forever. Here's hoping you all open new doors and new beginnings soon.
PMEmail Poster               
Howie 
Posted: 21-May-2009, 01:57 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Bellingham, Washington

male

Good luck to all of you looking for work.

I've been a bus driver for 31 years. The first 12 driving school bus and now 19 with transit. Seems like I should be able to quit by now! I also play fiddle in a Celtic folk rock band and off and on in a country rock band. Also played for countless contra and square dances and a few ceilidhs over the years. Playing fiddle at the local ski area for a season's pass is my favorite compensation!

PMEmail Poster               
togo 
Posted: 21-May-2009, 04:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Massachusetts

male

I am a Physical Education teacher at a K-6 elementary school. Really enjoy working with kids. Love it. Keeps me young.
I also coach a high school basketball team. Love it but this one makes me old at times.
Work at a sports camp in the summer. Work with a great bunch of people, several close friends during the summer which makes for a very fun and enjoyable time.
Always said in my early years I will do a job that I really want to do.
Living the dream of a gym teacher!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Faerydreamer 
Posted: 03-Jun-2009, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Coal Country, PA

female

I am a stay-at-home mom. I will be homeschooling my son this coming school year. I have sixteen birds and two dogs that own me. I spend my time caring for my family and my animals.

--------------------
Lady Faerydreamer

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]