Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 12-Jul-2006, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Oopps, forgot about Briggadon with Gene Kelly. Ok its a musical and it looks like it was all done on stage but the plot would make a great movie. Surprised no one has othered doing it.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
MaggieCarroll 
Posted: 15-Aug-2006, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Tir Na Nog

female

The Committments ...quirky, rather dark humored, but very good... band.gif

The Mysts of Avalon...refreshing feminine perspective on the myths...

The Quiet Man...nostalgic and has Maureen O'Hara...so it gets brownie points

The Sword in the Stone king.gif ...my second favorite Disney flick...eternally a favorite of mine since youth...

Peter Pan...my favorite Disney movie...gotta love those Pan and the pirates

Robin Hood...with Errol Flynn... Royal02.gif ...best looking actor award

Ryan's Daughter...an oldie but goodie...

Gangs of New York...so violent, took me 3 sittings to watch...but I finished it thumbs_up.gif ....suspect it was quite historically on target...but was hard to watch...

Green Grows My Valley...a Welsh movie about coal mining...sad...

Circle of Friends...excellent...but the book is better

The Harry Potter movies... did you know that the birds of prey, like Harry's owl...are from the Avary on the grounds of Belvadere Castle located in the midlands of Ireland? Very haunting place...also home of the Jealous Wall...

The Molly Maguires...based on a true story of Irish immigrants in the mid 1870's, set and filmed in the anthracite coal region of northeastern Pennsylvania....entertaining but does not tell the tale with historical accuracy...Sean Connory, Richard Harris star...a must see if you are Irish American and do not know the story...then read "Making Sense of the Molly Maguires" by Kevin Kenny...did you know the Mollies were the pioneers of the labor movement in America?

TLOTR... velho.gif is there any doubt that Tolkien's Shire is based on Ireland and the Hobbits on the Irish?...then of course, there is Aragorn...sigh...wub.gif

Angela's Ashes...have not seen the move...but the book is a must read...as is the follow up "'Tis"...Frank McCourt has a way with a story...

The Fighting Prince of Donegal...another Disney...oldie but goodie...

--------------------
Ni'i aon tintea'n mar do thintea'n fe'in
There is no fireplace like your own fireplace

O come back to Ireland! Come back with me!
Come back to the green rollin' hills and the sea
Come back to the music! Come back to the dance!
O come back to Ireland! Come back with me!
PMEmail Poster               
Arien 
Posted: 17-Aug-2006, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Amateria in the West

female

QUOTE (catlynelizabeth @ 21-Mar-2005, 02:53 PM)
I forgot about it the other day but I really liked Evelyn starring Pierce Brosnan. It was a sweet movie that told a great story.

I found that one the other day at the library and I really enjoyed it.

I didn't really understand why the government was so adament about keeping his kids. Maybe someone who has seen the movie can explain that to me. It wasn't made very clear in the movie. All I can think of was that the schools were given funding based on the number of children in them.

--------------------
"'Mercy!" Cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'

'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and over-heaven and of the sundering seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less? But I am not in a hurry tonight."

~The Two Towers, JRR Tolkein
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 11-Jan-2007, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Saw the first couple of episodes of "Roar" This is apparently a tv show (now on DVD) with each episode running about an hour. I picked the first DVD up at our local video store. There are four DVDs and each one has about six episodes. Heath Ledger (Knights Tale) is the main star. It is the story of the last Celtic tribes holding out against the oncoming Romans. Actually its new tribal leader Health vs evil Roman /Celtic princess and her demonic/suicidal 400 year old boyfriend. But I've only seen the first DVD. Although not very historically accurate it is still very entertaining. Its at about the level of the old Hercules/Zena shows but abit more serious and with better special effects. A good watch if you can find it.
PMEmail Poster               
ShamRocNshanagns 
Posted: 24-Jan-2007, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

male

I know their are a lot of movies posted on here, and i didnt read the whole tread. I just figured that i would throw out my top three Movies

Southie
Boondog Saints
and brand New The Departed

All three are excelant movies and just happen to take place in Boston!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 09:31 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Today I watched, "The Mighty Celt." Loved it! It was filmed in northern Ireland and the accents are a wee bit difficult to understand, but the story is really neat. There is one very sad part in the film where I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle one character, but all in all it is a great film with beautiful scenery, good actors and a wee peek into Irish culture of today.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Murphy77 
Posted: 01-Feb-2007, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: MidWest

male

Good message there about the movies that are Irish themed I myself like to call them Irish movies. Instead of Celtic , Celtic is such a wide broadband of movies that would include the celtic isles that are Eire(Ireland) england,scotland and wales.
There is nothing wrong with Scotland there are some good people there and some fantastic Celtic F.C. supporters. I wished that cable TV here in the states would show more Irish themed movies about the troubles in Eire I am not talking about the famine that has been shown over the years alot. Although it was a horrible thing I am not putting it down . I mean by the troubles in Eire I am talking about the North of Eire. All of the oppression that the Nationalist people have put up over hundreds of years from the Loyalists that have raped there land.

Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
PMEmail Poster               
Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 17-Jul-2007, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Thomasina was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I still have the book.
Has anyone mentioned "First Knight" - with Sean Connery as King ARthur, Julia Ormond as Guinivere, Richard Gere as Lancelot and Ben Cross as Malagant. One of my all time favorites.

--------------------
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.""
Psalm 91:1-2

"Be what you would seem to be--or, if you'd like it put more simply--Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." from "Alice in Wonderland"
PMEmail Poster               
Drothgord 
Posted: 18-Jul-2007, 04:40 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kerava, Finland

male

I still love braveheart even i have seen it like hundred times.
Rob roy was ok too, not the best movie i've seen but worth checking out!
PMEmail Poster               
TandVh 
Posted: 18-Jul-2007, 07:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

QUOTE (Drothgord @ 18-Jul-2007, 05:40 AM)
I still love braveheart even i have seen it like hundred times.
Rob roy was ok too, not the best movie i've seen but worth checking out!

I actually got the TV and livingroom to myself last Sunday and treated myself to Braveheart as an afternoon movie. My wife and daughters get a little tired of my delight with our Scottish heritage so it's a little discouraging get their criticism when I want to watch one of these movies.
Quite a pleasant afternoon! (althought the movie stirs the emotions somewhat)

--------------------
TandVh
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Drothgord 
Posted: 18-Jul-2007, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kerava, Finland

male

Ah yes, Braveheart is really emotional movie. I always have this weird feeling when i have watched it.
PMEmail Poster               
ChuckDenton 
Posted: 06-Aug-2007, 12:34 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Lee's Summit, Missouri USA

male

Has anyone watched "The Wind That Shakes The Barley?" It is a very enlightening film about the Troubles in Ireland. The scenery is wonderful . Mairtin de Cogain , who plays in The Fuchia Band, is in the cast. I loved the film! I recommend it.

Chuck Denton

--------------------
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=gray]
Slainte'
[color=green]Slainte'/color]
PMEmail Poster                
stoirmeil 
Posted: 06-Aug-2007, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (ChuckDenton @ 06-Aug-2007, 01:34 AM)
Has anyone watched "The Wind That Shakes The Barley?" It is a very enlightening film about the Troubles in Ireland. The scenery is wonderful . Mairtin de Cogain , who plays in The Fuchia Band, is in the cast. I loved the film! I recommend it.

Chuck Denton

Yes. It's a very important film, I think, and everyone who is interested in celtic culture or Irish history should see it. I wrote a review for this site, which you may find if you look around.
PMEmail Poster               
Dade Emeraldstone 
Posted: 06-Aug-2007, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Deer Park(Houston), Texas

male

Highlander
Braveheart
Gangs of NY
Patriot Games

Tv Show:

Roar

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 15-Aug-2007, 09:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"The Wind the Shakes the Barley" will be on DVD Sept 4th.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]