Posted: 07-Apr-2005, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Nebraska

female

Hey all, I have a big problem!! I am interested in expanding my celtic music collection (which is very light right now!) but I don't know where to begin shopping. Can anyone tell me where the best place to shop for CD's is?

I'm not overly familiar with who the best celtic artists are or where to find them. Suggestions are very welcome!! I have heard alot about Clann n Drumma, Wicked Tinkers and many other from this very website, but don't know where to find their music!

I just bought Moya Brennan, Clannad, The Dubliners and a few others from BMG music club, but their selection is rather limited in this particular genre so I figured I'd post the question here, and get answers from the people who would know!! Thanx in advance for any help!!!

--------------------
Sonee

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke

"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison
PMEmail Poster               
dfilpus 
Posted: 07-Apr-2005, 10:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

Start with the top 100 list on CelticRadio. note.gif note.gif note.gif

Amazon.com, bn.com, borders.com carries many of the artists.

Heather Dale: AMPHISBAENA MUSIC is the only place I have found for buying Heather's music from the US.

Mark Saul: marksaul.tv for Mixylodian.

Also, you can click on a CD in CelticRadio, which may take you to an online source.

Good luck. note.gif note.gif note.gif

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Sonee 
Posted: 07-Apr-2005, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

female

Thank you very much!! This is a good place to start!! I appreciate the input!!
PMEmail Poster               
keltickal 
Posted: 09-Apr-2005, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

You might want to try CD Baby, CDbaby.com. They have a great many Celtic CDs some of which can be purchased for as little as $5 if you buy 3 different CDs at a time. A few of these can be quickly found by searching for the term keltic. Sorry about the shameless promotion!! :-)

keltickal
PMEmail Poster               
Sonee 
Posted: 09-Apr-2005, 09:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

female

Thanx Keltickal!!

I've never heard of CDbaby!! I will check it out as soon as I post this!! I'm always looking for something new!! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
dfilpus 
Posted: 27-Apr-2005, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

Another place to look at is Elderly Instruments, which is one of the best dealers in used and new stringed instruments. They have a lot of Celtic and British CDs in their web store.

My late brother the guitarist did a lot of business with Elderly. While settling his estate, I was in Elderly to put his Martins on consignment. I was looking around the CDs and found Mixolydian by Mark Saul. The only place I'd seen that disc has been from marksaul.tv and from tradtunes. My own copy came from marksaul.tv.

Elderly is a marvelous place. Thirty years ago, it was a one man instrument repair shop in back of a head shop in the college town for Michigan State University. Now it has its own building with separate rooms for different instrument classes, a repair/buy/consignment shop, practice rooms, a huge mail order catalog and web catalog. It is the mom and pop music shop done good. Elderly has the largest collection of Bodhrans I have ever seen.

note.gif note.gif note.gif thumbs_up.gif
Aaediwen 
Posted: 27-Apr-2005, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I generally use CelticRadio for discovery, then go to the artist's website to look into buying the CD. A lot of them will have 'buy now' links, which I trust to go to the artist's preferred channel. If I have a choice, I tend to avoid Amazon, because I personally don't like them. CDbaby is an interesting site to deal with. I've never had a bad experience with them, and they are really unique with their E-mail corrispondance. I hear they're just as cool to deal with on the artist side too smile.gif For me, though, I think Amazon works well for browsing and getting an idea about a CD or similar. However, although I'm not beyond using them, they are a vendor of last resort for me, when I can't find anywhere else practical. If you can find a route to buy direct from the artist, that's my favorite route smile.gif

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Keltic 
Posted: 27-Apr-2005, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

I like the way you think Aaediwen!! The big box store mentality has killed many an artist and mom & pop organizations. Everyone wants to save a buck or two but are quite often oblivious to the tidal wave of destruction that it can have.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
keltickal 
Posted: 27-Apr-2005, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

Elderly Music is a great place for Bodhrans too. They even have sales people that know how to play them! And yes, CD Baby is very nice for artists given their low fixed costs for CD sales. They also provide an easy means for digital distribution including iTunes and iTunes really works! Amazon is big ripoff for artists with the high overhead and it is difficult and expensive to get CDs listed on their site. CD Baby is so much better!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-Apr-2005, 02:13 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Sonee! Here is the link to the Clann An Drumma site to purchase their CDs. It takes awhile to get them, but they eventually come and in my humble opinion one of the best Scottish tribal bands around. Enjoy.

http://www.clannandrumma.com/
Aaediwen 
Posted: 30-Apr-2005, 08:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Keltic @ 27-Apr-2005, 11:24 PM)
I like the way you think Aaediwen!! The big box store mentality has killed many an artist and mom & pop organizations. Everyone wants to save a buck or two but are quite often oblivious to the tidal wave of destruction that it can have.

Corporate America is evil. It's a major gripe of mine that might better be suited for the politics forum wink.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
silem 
Posted: 01-May-2005, 11:05 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

One way to buy CD's of great Celtic music is to listen to this station and if you like what you hear, just click on "Buy CD". You will be taken to either the Artists own web site where you can order directly on line, or you will be taken to the stations's CD store.

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]