Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

http://www.brittany-bretagne.com/pg/auraybattle.htm
The War of Succession: The Battle of Auray

In 1341 Jean III dies leaving the duchy vacant. Jean de Monfort, his half-brother, and Jeanne de Penthièvre, his niece and wife of Charles de Blois, compete with each other to take control.

In 1343 Jean de Monfort is taken prisoner and is freed shortly afterwards. In the meanwhile his wife, Jeanne la Flamme defends victoriously the town of Hennebont against Charles de Blois. 1344 Charles de Blois at the head of a French army, manages to capture the town of Quimper. Jean de Monfort allied with Edward III, lands with an English army and recaptures the town in 1345. He dies shortly afterwards. 26th of March 1351 - The Fight of the Thirty - victory of Monfort?s party. 1363 Jean de Monfort II lands in Brittany, at the head of an English army.
On the 29th of September 1364 in the marshland of Kerzo North of Auray, Jean de Monfort leads an army of two thousand armed men and a thousand archers. Charles de Blois? English troops accompanied by Olivier de Clisson, are badly situated. Charles attacks, going against the opinion of Du Guesclin, his superior. It?s a catastrophe. The army of four thousand cavaliers is completely crushed by the archers of Monfort. Charles? body is picked up off the battlefield. He is wearing a hair-shirt, sign of mortification. He is beatified later on. When Jean de Monfort sees his cousin?s body, he finds it difficult to hide his emotion. Chandos who leads his troops makes this remark : ??You can?t have the life of your cousin and the Duchy at the same time. Thank God and your friends??. Du Guesclin trys to save the day and fights obstinately. The english chief sees him and manages to get him to surrender using this sentence ??This day is not yours, Sir Bertrand, another time you will be happier??. He is taken prisoner. Olivier de Clisson manages to get away, but loses an eye. This battle which took place underneath the walls of Auray, put an end to the War of Succession. Jean de Monfort then becomes the Duke of Brittany by the treaty of Guérande in 1365. This war leaves Brittany devastated.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]