> The War Of 1812.
Camac
Posted: 23-May-2008, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 23-May-2008, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 23-May-2008, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 22-May-2008, 06:14 PM)
I've read a bit about the war and if I understand correctly this was one war that started for practically nothing and nobody won anything and the signing of the Treaty of Ghent was all about territorial concessions.

It is almost as if the Americans (no offense) had nothing to do better than to declare war because they found the Brits to slow to answer their demands!!!! I hope that I've misunderstood this because if so no wonder it is not spoken very much about.

LOA

LOA;
You are partly correct with the slowness of negotiation but the main causes were the New Brunswick/Maine border (See Aroostook War & Jays Treaty)), American exspansion into the Ohio valley, the blockade of French ports , and of course impressment of possible American citizens into the Royal Navy. Most disputes were settle but the slow communications of the day gave the Hawks in the U.S. the excuse they wanted to declare war. Your right, no one won and everything returned to the Status Quo Ante Bellum. (Exactly before the War started) Impressment was settled, the blockade of Neutrals partially lifted and the N.B/Maine broder would be settle after long negotiations.

Camac.

Camac,

In all this is a sad war, because yes war is all about alliances like Patch mentioned in one of his posts.

I will make sure to go and get some books and read more even though on the net there is some very interesting information I found it incomplete.
Books are more detailled and prefer the reading.

P.S. Out of topic...did you look up your P.M.? If so give me some news.Thanks.

LOA

Your post script has thrown me. I'm sorry but I don't understand.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 23-May-2008, 05:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Hi Camac,

This is a bit off topic but this is what I meant in my post script.

I've sent you a few private messages and got no answer and was asking how it goes with your family history.

LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PMRead My Blog View My Photographs               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-May-2008, 12:26 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Honestly, I know very little about this war of 1812. But it is my mission to learn. One has to be so careful what they read on the net as so much is sensationalism and not accurate.

I did come across this site. If any of you feel it is not accurate, let us all know. Thanks!

http://war1812.tripod.com/

PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
Camac
Posted: 30-May-2008, 06:56 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 30-May-2008, 01:26 AM)
Honestly, I know very little about this war of 1812. But it is my mission to learn. One has to be so careful what they read on the net as so much is sensationalism and not accurate.

I did come across this site. If any of you feel it is not accurate, let us all know. Thanks!

http://war1812.tripod.com/

CelticRose;

In order to get the best insight into the War 0f 1812 you have to read the histories of the three combatants American, British, and Canadian. The vast majority of land battles were fought in Ontario and Quebec. The Naval battles were mostly fought along your Eastern Sea board with a few in Lake Ontario,Lake Erie and Lake Champlain. You also have to be careful as a lot of Myths grew out of that war.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 01-Jun-2008, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Hi Camac,

Can you be more specific in regards of the Myths you're stating in your posts?
I found it is always wise to know the real history of any kind of event that happened through times. But it is the reality of history in itself that it is sometimes written with a bit of exaggeration.
That's why sometimes some of it is re-written.

LOA
Camac
Posted: 01-Jun-2008, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 01-Jun-2008, 02:06 PM)
Hi Camac,

Can you be more specific in regards of the Myths you're stating in your posts?
I found it is always wise to know the real history of any kind of event that happened through times. But it is the reality of history in itself that it is sometimes written with a bit of exaggeration.
That's why sometimes some of it is re-written.

LOA

LOA.

There is the Myth surrounding the Canadian Militia started and propogated by Reverend Strachan of York (Toronto) Many myths grew up around Lafite, and of course Tecumseh and Old Iron Sides.

Camac

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 02-Jun-2008, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Hi Camac,

Yes I knew about Laffite that there is a lot of hot air in what he really did during that time but I had no idea about Tecumseh and Old Iron Sides much less about the Canadian Militia.

I'll try and found out what were these myths.
Do you any of them?
LOA
Camac
Posted: 03-Jun-2008, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 02-Jun-2008, 05:55 PM)
Hi Camac,

Yes I knew about Laffite that there is a lot of hot air in what he really did during that time but I had no idea about Tecumseh and Old Iron Sides much less about the Canadian Militia.

Do you any of them?
LOA

LOA;

There are not that many myths about Tecumseh but there is a great mystery.
Tecumseh is killed in the Battle of the Thames, no one knows who killed him, although a Kentuckian , whose name eludes me just now, claims it was he who shot him,. Tecumsehs' body is spirited away by his followers and buried in a secret place. To this day no one knows where. There were stories that he did not die but escaped and travelled to the west but there is no proof of this. He had led his people in a final charge (Forlone Hope) against the Americans while the British were abandoning the field in retreat. It was the end of Tecumsehs' (He who Walks in the Sky) dream of an Indian Confederacy to hold the white man at bay.He along with the Mohawks played a large part in keeping Canada out of American hands. Another ironic thing is that he is Honoured more by his enemies, The Americans, than he is by us.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 03-Jun-2008, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 03-Jun-2008, 11:50 AM)
Another ironic thing is that he is Honoured more by his enemies, The Americans, than he is by us.

Camac.

Hi Camac,

Yes a mystery indeed.I have to get into reading again because this character intrigues me and I've read very little about him. And I want to learn more.
As for the honours from Americans, well enemies sometimes comes to respect each other.
But I'm not really surprise by the lack of it from us Canadians.Are you?

LOA
Camac
Posted: 04-Jun-2008, 06:45 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 03-Jun-2008, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 03-Jun-2008, 11:50 AM)
Another ironic thing is that he is Honoured more by his enemies, The Americans, than he is by us.

Camac.

Hi Camac,

Yes a mystery indeed.I have to get into reading again because this character intrigues me and I've read very little about him. And I want to learn more.
As for the honours from Americans, well enemies sometimes comes to respect each other.
But I'm not really surprise by the lack of it from us Canadians.Are you?

LOA

LOA;

We Canadians have a tendency to downplay or ignore our heroes. It is almost a National Inferiority Complex. Also to boast of ones heroes seems quiet American.

There is a poem, "Tecumseh" by John Richardson it is quiet long but you might enjoy it. Just remember that it is a poem and not necessarily historically accurate.

Camac

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 05-Jun-2008, 02:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

This has been an interesting read. I helped my youngest son do a report on the War of 1812. It was pretty well covered in his 8th grade history class. I remember that Camac had raised some very interesting questions with regards to this war. PS I just saw a movie about LaFitte and Andrew Jackson, played by Yul Brynner and Charlten Heston respectively, can't recall the name though, mostly about pirates though.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
Camac
Posted: 05-Jun-2008, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 05-Jun-2008, 03:48 PM)
This has been an interesting read. I helped my youngest son do a report on the War of 1812. It was pretty well covered in his 8th grade history class. I remember that Camac had raised some very interesting questions with regards to this war. PS I just saw a movie about LaFitte and Andrew Jackson, played by Yul Brynner and Charlten Heston respectively, can't recall the name though, mostly about pirates though.

USN;

The movie was "The Buccaneer"

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 05-Jun-2008, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Yes, thats it the Buccaneers, entertaining.

The War of 1812 is a fairly politically complicated war that didn't accomplish much at the time as far as tangible results. But remember it in context of a nation less than 50 years old, with little international experience, still in formation, still divisive and in the process of gel-ing. This war may very well have been more of a crucible for a nations identity both for the US and later Canada.
Yes, I agree with you Camac, when little tangible results can be seen from a war, many myths are created to give it more meaning.
USN
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 05-Jun-2008, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 03-Jun-2008, 10:50 AM)
Hi Camac,

Do you any of them?
LOA

LOA;

Tecumseh is killed in the Battle of the Thames, no one knows who killed him, although a Kentuckian , whose name eludes me just now, claims it was he who shot him,. Tecumsehs' body is spirited away by his followers and buried in a secret place. To this day no one knows where. There were stories that he did not die but escaped and travelled to the west but there is no proof of this. He had led his people in a final charge (Forlone Hope) against the Americans while the British were abandoning the field in retreat. It was the end of Tecumsehs' (He who Walks in the Sky) dream of an Indian Confederacy to hold the white man at bay.He along with the Mohawks played a large part in keeping Canada out of American hands. Another ironic thing is that he is Honoured more by his enemies, The Americans, than he is by us.

Camac.

It is said Colonel Richard M. Johnson of Kentucky shot and killed Tecumseh but that does have its controversy.
Camac
Posted: 05-Jun-2008, 05:14 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 05-Jun-2008, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 03-Jun-2008, 10:50 AM)
Hi Camac,

Do you any of them?
LOA

LOA;

Camac.

It is said Colonel Richard M. Johnson of Kentucky shot and killed Tecumseh but that does have its controversy.

USN;

Thanks for the name. I was to lazy to look it up must be sign of getting older or just senile.

Camac.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]