Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

I watched a telly programme last night called "Breed All About It" and it featured the Lhasa Apso .. in my eyes not the cutest thing on earth but that's my own oppinion wink.gif

Anyway.. it featured that woman who positively viewed her dogs as her children.. had dresses and tuxedos made for them they had their own bathroom, bedroom etc.. she even threw a wedding for them *blinks*

I do not think that it's a very nice thing to do for dogs, carrying them around and such.. in a restaurant (one of them really posh ones, my uncle took me there for my birthday) I saw that elderly woman who had her Dachshund (a fat thing looking like a oversized brown caterpillar) who ordered caviar and salmon for it and had it fed with a fork and such...

Is that right? In my eyes it's not.. where is the line to be drawn?
It's something I would like to hear other ppl's views to.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
silverdragon 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 08:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

I love my current doggie and my previous doggies, rest their canine souls, BUT -- they have to be absolutely clear that _I_ am the human and they are not. One of my Dad's dogs thought it was pack leader, having been encouraged by feeding it at the table (! and other stuff) and while it wasn't agressive, it DID mark its territory... all through the house. Yuck. Dad was happy tho, and so was his dog. My mom wasn't happy. Thankfully, by that time I no longer lived with them so I didn't have to get involved...

OTOH, as far as clothing goes, small dogs and/or dogs with thin fur often desperately need a sweater in cold, or even cool, weather. Not tuxes and dresses, tho... smile.gif

--------------------
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

My blog: Almost, but not quite, entirely unrelated to filmmaking
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

mmh... If they wouldn't be pampered with clothes, they would develop a winter-coat I think... it's a natural thing to do.
I don't think it depends on the size of the dog if he/she develops a winter-coat.
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 10:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I'll refrain some typing anything derogatory about the Lhasa Apso or their owners. I think they tend to deserve each other.

We currently only have one dog in the house, but usually we have two or three. Our mutts enjoy a good life. They are well fed, receive excellent care and lots of love. They also have real jobs to do that are appropriate to there breeding and we train our dogs constantly, using operative conditioning techniques. Our hunting dogs have been trained to hunt and our pulling dog (at 90 lb, I sometimes refer to him as the "Little Big Dog") is trained to pull. I'm grooming him for weight pulling competition.

We expect our dogs to be dogs, not furry little human beings. Dogs are pack animals and my wife and I make it clear from day one that humans represent the alpha-male and alpha-female of our pack. Do what we want, you get handsomely rewarded. Do what we don't want and you get ignored. Do something we really don't want and you'll get a major display of dominance before getting stuck in your kennel and ignored until the human gets over being p-o'd. Welcome to the world of a dog pack, mutt.

Regarding coat, the coat a dog develops depends a lot upon breeding, nutrition, and environment. A chihuahua or mexican hairless probably wouldn't be able to grow much of coat even if he were living outside here in Alaska. On the other hand, a double-coated northern or sporting breed dog would have a heck of time trying to stay cool in a hot climate.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

mmh.. I'm still thinking that they might at least grow some more because they are in a different climate.. It doesn't have to be a huge fluffy coat

Our Dogs, since they almost all used to be working dogs enjoying a nice evening of their life with us, being kept busy with different small tasks.

What sort of hunting dogs do you have? We used to have a German Pointer which had injured himself severly during his time as working dog. Great animals, lively, always up to catch a rabbit and apport things. She wasn't allowed to do that often anymore because running too much would make her joints ache, but we let her apport things from water (she loved swimming).
Daisy was a great and loyal dog, no problems with accepting everybody else being higher ranking than her.
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I had a pointing lab who was tremendous. Had her from just a wee little puppy. Whether hunting upland gamebirds or waterfowl she was always ready to go. Very intelligent, very bidable (trainable) and a GREAT temperament. I'd recommend a lab to anyone as a first dog. They are very forgiving.

Here's some pics on one of my websites: Shunka the Wander Mutt There are also some pics of the new "Little Big Dog", Chinook.
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Well, I agree with (Aon and Swanny) the both of you...dogs are dogs and people are people. And I believe that dogs are actually happier if they are treated as dogs and not humans.

We have three dogs: a Golden Retriever, a black Lab/Greyhound mix, and a Shih Tzu all who I love very much, but draw lines of limitations. For example, the Lab/Greyhound mix named Bear is sort of a foster dog we took in for my brother and boy did he have some bad ways. My brother and his ex-wife let him have the run of the house and jump all over the furniture and sleep in the bed. He was also fed at all times of the day (a bowl of dog food was always out for him).

Well, when we got him we confined him to the kitchen and the backyard and gave him a dog bed to sleep on. For about two to three weeks he wasn't allowed in the rest of the house, then we gradually let him in the livingroom (front room) on rare occassions as a treat, but would order him back to the kitchen when we wanted him to calm down. In addition, we only fed him at a certain time. All the hard work paid off and he is nolonger a nussance or jumps up on the furniture. Bear seems happier since we showed him who's boss. wink.gif

As for my Golden Retriever named Shea Neale "Champ" he needs to live in a climate like Alaska, because his fur is so thick. He is a four-year-old light Golden who weights about 95 lbs. Champ is so smart. I taught him to sit, lay, shake, and fetch. I probably should have taken him to training school, now it is too late. I have to admit our dogs need more activities or jobs to do, but they only have our backyard to romp around in and go on long walks.

As for my Shih Tzu (high maintance dog) My Ling "Maggie", she thinks she is a big dog. I thought I would never like a small breed, because they seem so yelppy, nervous, and shake all the time, but not "Maggie" she is calm and tough. We got her when she was only five weeks old and she took to my Golden right away. Champ kind of took over as Mama and protector. I have to admit I spoiled her a bit by feeding her when I am eating.

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Swanny @ Dec 26 2003, 10:49 PM)
I'll refrain some typing anything derogatory about the Lhasa Apso or their owners. I think they tend to deserve each other.

Swanny

OOOO! Good shot! (The victim twitches on the ground.) laugh.gif

My Chessie is a member of the family (pack) as well as being a highly trained "companion" dog. She gets fed after our dinner, expects one of us to watch her eat, and LOVES doing her "jobs". Paper in the moring, followed by laundry patrol. Guards us from bad people and lions on TV. She is VERY protective of my wife. She is friendly and loving. We normally watch tv on the couch, with her head on one lap or another. Lots of cuddle time, in the morning, especially. The one intruder we had (in Virginia) got well chomped before making it back outside. The judge was cracking up at the fellow's araignment for D&D. He was REALLY embarrased. Turns out he was a drunk who wandered in looking for a bathroom, rather than a serious burglar.
The Dump is fun at the park or river, walking on heal without leash (in pocket) as nicely as you could ask. Does multi-ball or stick retrieves. It is funny to see her with 8 sticks in her mouth (or 3 balls). biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
oldraven 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Swanny got it to the tee. Large pack dogs are the best dogs, in my opinion, and prefer to remain as dogs. The only undog like thing that I allow Buffy to do is sit on the couch with us, only if she's been asked. If she tries to hop up, she gets kicked out of the room for a while.

She never eats in the room, or is in the room while we eat, and never eats anything that doesn't have a dog on the box. She gets worked all day long. Meaning, whenever I'm with the dog, she's doing comands.

It may seem like you're demanding to your dog if you work it all the time, but after a while, the comands are the dog's life. They don't mope around because you order then around all day; they sit and wait until they get their next task.

BUFFY LEARNED A NEW COMAND LAST NIGHT!!! laugh.gif
Now, I can say 'sit', 'lay down', and the latest addition, 'on yer side'. Last night was the first time she rolled on her side because I asked her, without litterally having knock her over. She got loads of treats and lovins last night.

king.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
Falachaidh 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Central Florida

Wow.. now that's way too far above the line.
See first off the restaurant should have never allowed. Dogs, like many other creatures, are absolutely filthy. They can't wash their hands/paws, and their mouths are loaded with germs. They shed, and I wouldnt' be surprised if the waiter/ress wound up with hair on their next customer's food!

The way I think, dogs should be treated similar to young children. Like babies. You correct them when they do somethign wrong, and you reward for something correct. Use repitition so they can learn, and play with them lots.
You should never have to raise your hand or "spank" if you use the correct words and tone of voice. And stick to it. Don't renig on your correction. (that's how children get spoiled, and that's how dogs get spoiled.) Don't be mean or beat or be too harsh with the animal. It is very easy to turn them mean.

And when you're deciding on a breed to bring home to love, be sure you do your homework.

**begin soapbox**
Examples:
Don't pick pit bulls or chows because they're cute (and they are cute.) Don't pick a lab because you like big black dogs. Pit bulls are notorius for biting other people. Chows are an ancient breed and were bred to protect royalty. They are very territorial and can bite and will bite if they do not recognize someone in their home. Labs are quite lovely dogs, and the most damage they can do is lick you to death.. but they need lots and lots of attention. They are demanding breeds to love. If you do not have the time to donate to them as if they are your only child, don't get one. Jack russells and coon hounds were bred as outside hunting dogs with never the intention of bringing them inside to be lap dogs. Don't bring them inside.. they are extremely difficult to house break and train. Obedience school is out of range for them! Don't get a Norweigan Elkhound if you live in an apartment. If you love that breed, get a Keeshond instead. Same blood, but specifically bred for small living quarters.
There is a breed for everyone. Not everyone likes chiuauas, elkhounds, pitbulls, etc... but if you Do your homework!, you will find the right one for you.
**end of soapbox**

This is from learned experiences. I have trained dogs my whole life. My mom uses Tellington Touch with her training and has gone to Westminster to see her prodigies win trophies.

Yours as always,
Julia as Falachaidh

--------------------
Dance Life to the Fullest.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ Dec 30 2003, 10:38 AM)
Swanny got it to the tee. Large pack dogs are the best dogs, in my opinion, and prefer to remain as dogs. The only undog like thing that I allow Buffy to do is sit on the couch with us, only if she's been asked. If she tries to hop up, she gets kicked out of the room for a while.

She never eats in the room, or is in the room while we eat, and never eats anything that doesn't have a dog on the box. She gets worked all day long. Meaning, whenever I'm with the dog, she's doing comands.

It may seem like you're demanding to your dog if you work it all the time, but after a while, the comands are the dog's life. They don't mope around because you order then around all day; they sit and wait until they get their next task.

BUFFY LEARNED A NEW COMAND LAST NIGHT!!! laugh.gif
Now, I can say 'sit', 'lay down', and the latest addition, 'on yer side'. Last night was the first time she rolled on her side because I asked her, without litterally having knock her over. She got loads of treats and lovins last night.

king.gif

unsure.gif I'm confused here. Is Buffy your dog or your wife? laugh.gif
maisky 
  Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (Falachaidh @ Dec 30 2003, 11:57 AM)

And when you're deciding on a breed to bring home to love, be sure you do your homework.

SOOOO True. It is of major importance to know WHAT you want out of a dog, and what you are getting when you select a breed and a puppy. I am a devoted Chessie person, but the Chessie is not for everybody! They are very intelligent and serious, hard working and loyal. Territorial and very much a one family dog. They are NOT a lab. Totally different personalities. Chessies require LOTS of exercise on a daily basis. Early puppy training is critical. Do it right and you get a wonderful friend and companion. Don't do it right and you have another Chessie going to rescue because they are big trouble.
oldraven 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 30 2003, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (oldraven @ Dec 30 2003, 10:38 AM)

BUFFY LEARNED A NEW COMAND LAST NIGHT!!!  laugh.gif

king.gif

unsure.gif I'm confused here. Is Buffy your dog or your wife? laugh.gif

I don't know, what do you think? laugh.gif

Buffy's the German Shepheard. Ange is the .............. soon to be wife.
maisky 
  Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

Thank you. This makes more sense. It is usually the MALE that learns to sit up and beg..... laugh.gif
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 30-Dec-2003, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Oooh T-T! I visited a course of hers (LTJ) back in Germany in order to get my training licence (for horses). I didn't need it but I wanted to and I got funded for it. I also visited a massaging course with our pointer.. he loved it!

Since I got in touch with so many breeds I wouldn't be able to decide right away. But I know a breeder of my fave dogs and I spent whole weeks with them and their dogs, and I just love it.
I need a dog that needs alot of time out in order to motivate me to do the same. Once I'm out I'm hard to get back in, but I have to get the famous kick up the bottom to do so...
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt