Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,661 Gold!

Ok, call me a romantic, a dreamer or even an optimist! I am so tired of hearing about all of the troubles in the world. Let's hear about some good things!

Have you done something for someone lately? A family member, a friend or a stranger? Post your story here and start spreading the good news!

thumbs_up.gif happy.gif

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 07-Apr-2005, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I can't think of anything I'VE done to relate here, but I thought I'd relate an act of someone ELSE'S kindness to me!

My wife and I have been having some finacnial problems for about a year. Between sicknesses (lost work, doctor visits, prescriptions, etc) and unexpected bills, we just can't seem to get our feet solidly back under us. Recently, my wife changed jobs. She left Wendy's about a week ago and went to our local Wal-Mart making $2 more an hour and moving form part-time to full-time, so we're hoping things will turn around for us now.

But back to the act of kindness...

During the worst of the problems last summer, we barely even had enough money to pay our bills, much less get groceries. We were jsut barely getting by. And getting anything extra was out of the question. At the plant where I work, we get our check stubs every Thursday, but we can't actually use the money until Fridays due to direct deposit.

At work we each are assigned our own personal lockers for safety shoes, safety glasses and other personal belongings. These lockers have vents to let the lockers air out.

Well, apparently I have a special friend at work, because every Thursday for about two months, $20 would just mysteriously turn up in my locker! Someone must have been inserting it through the slots in my locker door! I never found out who the mysterious money came from, and apparently they don't want to be found out, so I'm leaving it alone. But I thank God for my friend! I refused to use that money for necessities! We split it three ways between me, my wife and daughter just so that we get ourselves a little something! Boy, it sure put smiles back on our faces during a really hard time!

Thank you, Lord, for such thoughtful friends!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 07-Apr-2005, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Good Idea Paul smile.gif thumbs_up.gif

That is a wonderful story Wizard.. Really is.

As far as myself I make it a point to look at people in the eye, smile and use thank you's and please. The other day, I saw a elderly woman in a motorized cart trying to reach something. I got it for her. Just the look in her eyes, I will never forget. Its a fine line though, I have found some people just don't want your help, but most do. As they age they like the company and interaction. I hope one day if I reach an old age, there will be someone to smile and help me.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 07-Apr-2005, 09:33 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

An act of kindness can be as simple as a smile to a passing stranger...

...or holding the door open for whoever is coming in behind you...

Chivalry and kindness do seem to be things missing in todays society... but I still see them happening on a regular basis, they just don't make the news!

Good topic Paul!

Last year my immediate family , instead of giving gifts to each other at Yule ( Christmas ) arranged through a local church to have a "Grand Feast" cooked and delivered to one of the poorest families in our town.

I can only imagine the looks on the faces of the recieving family, we chose to remain annonomous.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RivDan 
Posted: 08-Apr-2005, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacElder

female

I love being kind to people. Although I can't remeber everythng I do at the top of my head. I remember picking up a cell phone yesterday for someone who droped it on the escalator. I dedicate my life to doing things unto my Lord. I enjoy especially being good to my honey, whom God sent to me for me to marry. It is God who bonds us together. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Cameron Clan Roots, but an Heir to Jesus the King of Kings
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,661 Gold!

Acts of Kindness can be as simple as a hello or a door held open (as echoed above).

I always make a point of waving to people that let me out in traffic, or in stopping and letting someone out in traffic.

I got it from my grandfather who use to wave constantly in traffic - letting people walk across the street or pull out. I asked him why he was waving to people and his reply was that he hoped they would do it to someone else.

Another Act of Kindness that my wife and children were involved was with a little boy in our neighborhood whose mongoose bike was stolen. This bike had special meaning because it was giving to him by his father in Iraq before he left. The call went out to our friends for a second hand mangoose bike and in a few days a broken down mongoose was delivered to our house. 4 hours later after greese, paint, bolts, new tires, sweat and toil the bike looked new!

My wife called the mother and explained that we had a refurbished bike for him (she is not from around these parts) and first wondered outloud to my wife "how do I know this isnt his stolen bike" - Neither she nor her son could understand why we did this. The little boy thought it was an April fools joke (since it was 4/1) and kept asking why would you want to do this for me?

He was soo happy with that bike, but I am sure that a new bike would not have meant as much. A few days later the mother stopped by our house and her cell phone ran (she had planned this) - it was her husband calling from Iraq to thank us - offering money - which we refused. He was just so touched that someone thought of his son since he can't be around.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
rowan6 
Posted: 13-Apr-2005, 05:23 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

female

It's usually the little things that catch people off guard..

The other day while out shopping the store I was in was having a huge sale, tons of people and just general craziness..I had quite a few things and the lady that came behind me had 1 clove of garlic. I let her go first.

And yesterday, while I was at another store, it was cumbersome to get to the handheld shopping baskets and I happened to already be there, so I handed one to a lady that would have had to squish in where I was. She sounded and looked quite shocked. Made me feel good though.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 14-Apr-2005, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Nice topic, Paul!

I do the same thing when some lets me in and out of traffic. I always wave and say thank you and I always allow some one who needs to get into traffic on head of me.

I always look out for all the neighborhood dogs that get out of their yard and return them to their home.

I try to be a good listener when someone needs to talk.

And I always try to say thank you when gestures of kindness are given to me.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Being a pedestrian in the US is a dangerous propsition. When someone stops to let me cross the road in front of them, I try to wave and thank them. Even though the law says pedestrians have right of way and people really should stop like that, most don't. It happened a lot more frequently in Ireland, that people would stop to let you cross smile.gif

Aarogant leadfooted Americans. It was so nice actually being able to *walk* around town over there.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Shadows 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

One can not help but be kind if one treats everyone like you would like to be treated...
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 03:41 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Well said, Shadows. However, that is not always the case. I open and hold doors open for people and let people into traffic and such only to have the other person not even acknowledge the act of kindness and go on without a thank you. Sometimes I want to say out loud, "your welcome!" I think I actually did that once. unsure.gif ph34r.gif
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 08:16 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Just wanted to report that I was the "victim" of another random act of kindness today! smile.gif My wife's cousin, who is also our neighbor, found out that I have emphysema! I was a little late going to bed last night, so I over slept a little this morning. I must have REALLY been out like a light bulb, because somehow he came over and mowed MY ENTIRE LAWN for me without me knowing!!!! What a guy! I gotta figure out some way to repay him!
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

Has anyone seen the movie Pay It Forward? It was about a youngster who decided to see if he could help to change the world. He did a kindness for three people and when they asked why and how could they repay him, he said to pay it forward. Which meant that they should each do a kindness for three other people. They did and it began to spread across the land. And so it went on and on and on. Wouldn't we live in a better place if we all tried to follow his example? Sure is something to ponder on, isn't it?

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Apr-2005, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Wow! That was really nice of your neighbor, Allen! thumbs_up.gif
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 19-Apr-2005, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

I thought so too! But he's always doing things like that! Such a pleasure to have him for a neighbor!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]