> Celtic Themed Movies
MKOC19 
Posted: 25-Apr-2005, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

female

One movie that I thought was fun to watch is "Waking Ned Devine." I got rooked on the movie after hearing the soundtrack to it.

bye1.gif Mary
PMEmail Poster                
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 27-Jun-2005, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

I bought King Arthur and loved it. The music was beautiful and the action was intense. I love almost any Arthur stories.

I recommend it smile.gif

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-Jun-2005, 11:11 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey Em! I bought King Arthur too. I really loved it as well! I bet you own, First Knight as well, right? I do! wink.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 07-Jul-2005, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (MKOC19 @ 25-Apr-2005, 03:44 PM)
One movie that I thought was fun to watch is "Waking Ned Devine." I got rooked on the movie after hearing the soundtrack to it.

That is one of my very favorite movies toooo!! It is SO like the Ireland I remember!!

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 07-Jul-2005, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (Avonlea22 @ 22-Mar-2005, 07:36 PM)

There is also a Scottish Film coming to theatres soon called Dear Frankie. We saw the previews for it yesterday, and it looked really good. It's site is HERE

This movie just came out Tuesday, and is currently in our DVD player. We'll be watching it tonight, so I'll let you all know how it was.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 11-Jul-2005, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

This weekend I watched a film a few years old (bought the DVD in a drugstore for six bucks) called "Shergar". True story of a race horse kidnapped for ransom and probably killed by the IRA in the early 80's, though they never found him. (The most likely story is that they had no idea how to deal with a scared, temperamental thoroughbred after they stole him and they were in danger of being discovered, so they just shot him and buried him somewhere.) The film offers a rather romanticized alternative idea of what might have happened -- a kind of "lost boy" who wants to be a jockey steals him from the farmer where the provos are hiding him. The rest of the film is them chasing him and him running -- he meets up with a tinker (Ian Holm, wonderfully played) and his granddaughter. . . ending is not believable, but still spectacular -- first grim (after all the real horse did disappear, and is presumed dead) and then just a little too sweet as an afterthought. But the boy is a beauty, little bit on the Elijah Wood type for looks, and the landscape is purely gorgeous, with the two lovely kids and running horses moving through it. Mickey Rourke is severely creepy as the IRA guy bossing the crime. Meets violent end that had me cringing. (His trademark, I guess.) I'd say, if you love Ireland and an assortment of Irish accents, and horses, it's worth it.
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 15-Jul-2005, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Grrrrrr -
I've been trying to find "The Boys From County Clare", a movie set in Ireland that was supposed to be in stores Tuesday. But I can't find it anywhere around here!!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

All this craic about Ned Devine makes me want a copy of that too. rolleyes.gif
Mmmm, I feel a shopping spree coming on -...

SB
PM               
CelticMaestrais 
Posted: 15-Jul-2005, 02:31 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

Realm: Denver, CO

female

The Matchmaker is a really cute movie too.

It has Janeane Garofalo in it.

It's about:
Marcy is an assistant to Senator John McGlory, who is having problems with a re-election campaign. Desperate for Irish votes, McGlory's chief of staff Nick sends Marcy to Ireland to trace McGlory's relatives or ancestors. Marcy arrives at the village of Ballinagra when it is preparing for an annual Matchmaking Festival. A well-dressed, handsome and single young lady, she becomes the center of attention for two professional matchmakers, Dermot and Millie, as well as for bartender Sean.

I would give it a thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 15-Jul-2005, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 15-Jul-2005, 03:33 PM)
Grrrrrr -
I've been trying to find "The Boys From County Clare", a movie set in Ireland that was supposed to be in stores Tuesday. But I can't find it anywhere around here!!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

All this craic about Ned Devine makes me want a copy of that too. rolleyes.gif
Mmmm, I feel a shopping spree coming on -...

SB

Netflix has it, so it's out there somewhere. btw, it's "The Boys and Girl from County Clare"

Here is a synopsis:

Sibling rivalry hits the stage as estranged brothers compete against each other at a music fest in this bittersweet tale set in Ireland. Returning home after over 20 years, Jimmy (Colm Meaney) is determined to see his band win a music competition, but not if brother John Joe (Bernard Hill) has anything to do with it. As the two pull dirty tricks on each other, John Joe's fiddler (Andrea Corr) catches the eye of a handsome lad in Jimmy's band.

I'm excited that it has Andrea Corr in it. I love her!
single speed 
Posted: 22-Jul-2005, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: San Antonio, Tx

male

My friends, you all have excellent taste in films, but I feel that there are some outstanding titles missing.

While not ?Celtic themed?, Roddy Doyle?s modern day Dublin trilogy of ?the Commitments?, "The Snapper?, and ?the Van? are all worthy of a look. Great comedies, all! The Commitments has an outstanding R&B soundtrack recorder by the actors. (Don?t miss Colm Meany?s Elvis impression!)

As for other films set in the Isles, check out Local Hero, starring Peter Reigert and Burt Lancaster. The film is set on the Northern Coast of Scotland, and features a comical storyline and gorgeous scenery.

Intermission is a gritty crime drama set in Dublin and stars Colm Meanay and Colin Farrell.

Thanks for the suggestions. I?ll add these to my Blockbuster Queue!

--------------------
If you were accused of being a Christian, would your enemies have enough evidence to convict you?
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him keep pace with the music he hears, however measured or far away.
-Henry David Thoreau

Pray as if everything depended on God, and work as if everything depended upon man.
- Cardinal Francis J. Spellman
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Jul-2005, 02:18 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I have seen The Van and it is an excellent and very funny movie! A must see!
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 23-Jul-2005, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Avonlea22 @ 15-Jul-2005, 09:40 PM)

Netflix has it, so it's out there somewhere. btw, it's "The Boys and Girl from County Clare"

Here is a synopsis:

Sibling rivalry hits the stage as estranged brothers compete against each other at a music fest in this bittersweet tale set in Ireland. Returning home after over 20 years, Jimmy (Colm Meaney) is determined to see his band win a music competition, but not if brother John Joe (Bernard Hill) has anything to do with it. As the two pull dirty tricks on each other, John Joe's fiddler (Andrea Corr) catches the eye of a handsome lad in Jimmy's band.

I'm excited that it has Andrea Corr in it. I love her!

Thanks for the plot summary! I didn't know much about the story.
I'm glad to see Andrea Corr doing movies; I love the Corrs band and have as many of their cd's as I can! I first heard them in Ireland, thanks to friends there who are big fans too. Its been fun in the years since then to see the band get well-known over here on this side of the pond.

SB
PM               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 26-Jul-2005, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 01-Jul-2005, 12:11 AM)
Hey Em! I bought King Arthur too. I really loved it as well! I bet you own, First Knight as well, right? I do! wink.gif

Yup, I do wink.gif

Richard Gere wub.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Avonlea22 
Posted: 29-Jul-2005, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 15-Jul-2005, 03:33 PM)
Grrrrrr -I've been trying to find "The Boys From County Clare", a movie set in Ireland that was supposed to be in stores Tuesday.

My wife and I watched this tonight. It was a very good movie. Although I don't htink it's really considered a comedy, it had us laughing quite a bit. Andrea Corr did a great job in her role.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-Jul-2005, 05:20 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (emerald-eyedwanderer @ 26-Jul-2005, 10:29 AM)
Yup, I do wink.gif

Richard Gere wub.gif

Good on you, Em!

I bet Andrea Corr was really good. She is an excellent singer and I would imagine she is an excellent actress as well, even though I must admit I have never seen her in a movie. I am just a big Corrs fan and love her voice. I saw The Corrs in concert last August. They were awesome, wonderful and spectacular!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]