Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Which Celtic Radio Songs/artists Do You Hate?
MDF3530 
  Posted: 11-Nov-2004, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I know taste is subjective, so I was wondering which songs/artists here on CelticRadio turn not your head, but your stomach puke.gif ?

My list:

Artist: Aselin Debison puke.gif
Songs: Star of The County Down puke.gif , The Ballad of Tam Lin puke.gif .

I cannot move fast enough to change to something else when I hear any of those come on.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 11-Nov-2004, 09:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Aselin Debison is at the top of my list to. Her voice just makes me shudder.
Brobdingnagian Bards are an extremely close second. Very irritating.
Anything by Leza Mesiah.

When the Bringers Celtic Circle Dance Cup Of Wonder was first brought on to CR, I thought it was just ok but now I am sick of listening to it. Nine minutes of that, two or three times a day and I'll be checking into the funny farm.

I have a few more that are border-line but the ones above really bug me.
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 11-Nov-2004, 10:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Ok, agreement with Aselin Debeson. I don't care if she shares a name with my daughter, she drive me up a tree.

I've heard some of the Brobignagian Bards stuff that isn't on here, and it's a lot better. Plus I've met Mark and he's a sweetie...so...

Granted, the LOTR stuff sucks.

I'm writing a novel based off the ballad of Tam Lin, so you can start swearing at me at your leisure. biggrin.gif

I'm not a fan of Rise. They remind me of a college band together just to get it out of their systems.

There's a few other songs and groups on here that make me twitch, but I just tune it out till it goes away. Kinda like kidney stones.

PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 11-Nov-2004, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I like the Ballad of Tam Lin. angel_not.gif You've got to take the time to look up a translation though, to know what it's talking about. rolleyes.gif

I don't particularly care for Aselin Debeson either. Perhaps in a few years when her voice matures, it might get better.

The Celtic Circle Dance Cup Of Wonder is REALLY getting on my nerves! It's way too long. But then again, so is Tam Lin. wink.gif

I also don't really like The Highwayman by Loreena McKennit. I skip over that song on my CD.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Meryat 
Posted: 11-Nov-2004, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Somewhere near a computer

I used to not be very fond of Tam Lin. After hearing it so many times, I got used to the style and have now grown quite fond of it. Call it what you will, but the narrator's voice is very engaging, once you get past the fact that he's speaking to music and not actually singing.

I'm undecided on Rise. I like some of their songs (and request them basically every day), but a lot of times, the beginnings of the singing sounds really rough. I remember reading somewhere someone's comment about not liking the vocals. Is it both the male and female you don't like, or just the male (which is the one that always sounds unpolished to me)?

~Meryat
PMEmail Poster               
Meryat 
Posted: 11-Nov-2004, 11:42 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Somewhere near a computer

I remember there used to be a complaint about how often "The Old Dun Cow" got played (this was quite a while ago - almost a year, probably). Did anyone else get so used to it that they started liking it?

~Meryat
PMEmail Poster               
Spradley 
Posted: 12-Nov-2004, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Rocky Mtn Highlander and Renaissance Scot
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Colorado

male

The only one that really gets to me is the Bringers Celtic Circle Dance Cup Of Wonder. It's just too long and repetetive for my taste. wink.gif

--------------------
Sláinte

Brad

Deus Juvat "God Assists"

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Robert A. Heinlein

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Jimmy Carbomb 
Posted: 12-Nov-2004, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Barleyjuice ~ "Pog Mo Tunes"Publishing
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: On The Road

male

QUOTE (Meryat @ 12-Nov-2004, 01:42 AM)
I remember there used to be a complaint about how often "The Old Dun Cow" got played (this was quite a while ago - almost a year, probably). Did anyone else get so used to it that they started liking it?

~Meryat

Unfortunately, that's all that we have from Seamus Kenndey! "The Old Dun Cow" is one of over 1000 songs in his repertoire. He ranges from the slow, melodic traditionals... to VERY humorous songs such as "Concrete Roads" which is a take-off on John Denver's "Country Roads". Seamus' version is about the pollution and swamps of New Jersey!

If there was any chance that we could get his CDs on here, I'm POSITIVE that he would be a favorite. Great voice. Great repertoire. Great humor.

As for the topic at hand, about songs or artists that I don't like... it's very unfair of me to comment (for obvious reasons). wink.gif

There are a number of songs about a certain "kingdom" that are played a little too much. The songs and the artist are top-notch... just not in overly heavy doses for months at a time. I hate it when over exposure leads to dislike! Much like "The Old Dun Cow" used to.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
talleyrand 
Posted: 12-Nov-2004, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

(looks around for suspicious characters)
I absolutely, positively cannot stand Twinflame. I hear that voice and I just cringe. Every song has this whiney tone to it that grates on my nerves no end and since there are so many fans of them here as attributed to the multiple threads about them, it's hard to go for long periods of time without hearing it. It's the only thing that'll make me turn off Highlander Radio.

I don't care for Barnbrack either, fortunately their songs tend to be short otherwise I'd start scrounging around the kitchen for an icepick to pierce my eardrums. I'm torn between The Alphabet Song and The Fly as the most obnoxious of their works.

It's A Long Way To The Top - Scotland The Brave By Highlander is would be better if they didn't sing or talk but it's nowhere near as an insipid as The Newfie Stomp or The Bologna song.

I'm sure if I put more thought into it, I could find more songs that I could live without but that's not to say there aren't some songs and artists that I absolutely love about this station. The music here is awesome, just certain ones rub me raw.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Cosmict 
Posted: 12-Nov-2004, 04:04 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacWillow

male

Ah Talleyrand,
Gosh what can I say? I absolutley adore Twinflame no one better in
my book right up there with Enya.

I know here at work I have to endure music from terrible singers like, Mariah Carey & the newest rap stuff & I have to keep my mouth shut because I am at work.

Talleyrand you can't like everyone that is a part of life.
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 12-Nov-2004, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Well, don't care much for Rise.

Don't really like the Enya 9/11 remix (which is still playing..thought it was supposed to only be on that day)

I, unlike the majority here, do like Aselin. I will admit, her voice is still immature, but she certainly has potential, and I like her because of that.

I really like Twinflame.

I absolutely love the Rankins.

I'd have to really think about it to add more to the list.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
Aaediwen 
Posted: 12-Nov-2004, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Aselin is the only one I've found I don't like. Celtic Circle Dance/Cup of Wonder is two different pieces combined to one track, and although I agree that Cup of Wonder isn't that great, I like the rythem and Folklore refrences in Celtic Circle Dance.

Let's be careful not to let this turn into a flame war wink.gif All are entitled to their opinions. I've heard people now who don't like Loreena McKennitt, Heather Dale, and Twinflame. All three I adore. I keep thinking to myself "How can you not like them? they're wonderful." But we are all entitled to our opinions and not everyone is going to like any one given artist. No matter how much you love one artist, there will be someone out there who can't stand them. And no matter how much you lothe another artist, there will be someone out there who can't get enough of their work. Such is life.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Dugadelphia 
Posted: 12-Nov-2004, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: The Pacific Northwest...land of tall trees, blue water, software and endless lattes

male

I am pretty fond of the Rankin family, but I can do without the live version of Mull River Shuffle. The song is not so bad, but the long introduction rubs me the wrong way.

Likewise, I am not so fond of the Civil War era songs...I realize there are multiple artists represented in that phrase, so let's just say I do not care much for the genre.

Luckily, it is difficult for me to find artists to include in this string...which means the VAST majority of the artists and music are quite strong!

--------------------
Welcome to the Machine...
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 12-Nov-2004, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (Dugadelphia @ 12-Nov-2004, 06:47 PM)
I am pretty fond of the Rankin family, but I can do without the live version of Mull River Shuffle. The song is not so bad, but the long introduction rubs me the wrong way.

Likewise, I am not so fond of the Civil War era songs...I realize there are multiple artists represented in that phrase, so let's just say I do not care much for the genre.

OMG! I lurve the live version of Mill River. It's my seconf favourite Rankin song, behind Fare Thee Well Love.

I'll agree with you on the Civil War genre.
dfilpus 
Posted: 13-Nov-2004, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

Certain artists and works have suffered from overexposure on CR: Aselin, Charlie Zahm, Tam Lin, Celtic Circle of Wonder, the Mull River Shuffle, Afro-Celt.

I like all of the above, but not over and over again. There are artists I cannot get too much of, but others do not like: Heather Dale, Stan Rogers, Mark Saul, Twinflame.

To each his own. beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]