Annabelle 
Posted: 03-Nov-2004, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Musical groups sometimes grow in different directions. Sometimes good to bad, sometimes bad to good and sometimes bad to worst. All bands when they repeat the same music over and over it changes. New variations of the origional music.

How do you feel when you hear a group take music that was awesome and it changes into another direction?

Does your brain keep reflecting to the old tune or do you adapt well with the new version?

Thanks!
Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 03-Nov-2004, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Great thread Annabelle wink.gif

For me, I have grown less and less fond of Capercaillie. This is an emmensely talented group of musicians who know Gaelic music very well. They are stepped in the melodies and the cadence of Highland Gaelic speech and music. There first two or three cds were able to successfully meld modern and traditional instruments with very old tunes, and newer ones written in the old style. Their sound was fresh, yet traditional. But I found after their Delerium cd, things began to really change and it no longer had that Gaelic melodic feel. The rhythm was gone. So, yeah, I know what you are saying and as a listener and fan, it gets frustrating.

On the other hand, take a band like Runrig. With their change in lead singer, and a concetrated move towards a more earthy, comtemporary folk sound, I think they have become a much better band in the past four years or so.

I guess, ultimately, it is a matter of taste.

Thanks for this thread.

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 03-Nov-2004, 11:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Hey Rory,
I hear ya!!!! I have really grown fond of Runrig! Their musical talents continue to grow and it is showing in the newer CD's. I need to find their schedule to attend a festival where they are playing. It would be awesome!

There is a group that I liked their old sound better than the new but like you said it's a matter of personal choice. I just can't get into the new sound cause I keep hearing it in my head of the old way.

o well, someone give me some cotton for ye ole ears!

Thanks Rory for your input!

Annabelle
PMEmail Poster               
balisodare 
Posted: 20-Dec-2004, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

male

Wow...I haven't posted in forever....must be the end of the semester.

Depends on what the group is altering.

Ut really catches my fancy when a group adds/messes with the harmonies of the song. New chords and added vocal lines can really do a lot and draw a lot of attention.

I remember when the fiddle player in my last Irish band added a little counter melody thing during the chorus of 'I tell me ma' at one gig, and afterwards everyone came up complimenting us on the "new version."
We did everything else the exact same, but the audience really responded to the vocal harmony.

Instrumentation really gets me too. I love it when groups really take a lot of time and come up with creative orchestration. New and Unique stuff works too. Two bands...Black 47, and MacUmba....jump to mind. I remember hearing my first Black 47 Cd and being utterly amazed at how well horns could do Irish music. MacUmba also had that sam "wow" factor because of their Latin Percussion use. Who knew steel drum and bagpipe would work?

(Personal Note: I think this is why the Bothy Band was so revolutionary. If you notice, these are the two parameters they were constantly messing with and cooking up great arrangements)

I think bands enter into a touchy area when they start affecting tempi. I've heard the most OFF THE WALL versions of some songs, but because they were at the same tempo as the original, I didn't bat an eyelash. However, I've also heard groups with VERY traditional instrumentation taking songs at different tempi with really weird/unpleasant results.

i.e. I'm not the hugest fan of Gaelic Storm's version of 'South Australia' For some reason...the slower tempo really doesn't do it for me....too mellow?

Cheers
note.gif

--------------------
It's amazing what you can do with a little motivation and a lot of whiskey.
-Name that Musician
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]