The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 01-Sep-2004, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Granada, Spain

male

I wish my parents will have tought me some music...

Good luck with your fiddle Redbud!

By the way, do some of the musicians round here are up to send some of their playing? I think it will be good for me to listen to some people playing, so that I can get some ideas or get motivated... walkman.gif
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 01-Sep-2004, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Spanish Rover, I don't have the hardware or software necessary to record myself playing and post it for you. And to be completely honest, I think you're better off that way! wacko.gif My playing is not much beyond beginner level and it really stinks if I do say so myself! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 02-Sep-2004, 04:05 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

male

I'm not good at all! It's just that I speak too much! cool.gif

If you want the software to record yourself, i can lend you some, altough we'll have to Stablish a direct conection (9 Mb). Of course you'll need a microphone, but that will only cost about 3 or 4 ?.

It's a good idea to record yourself, to see what are you sounding like and to improve your playing!
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 11:27 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Good for you Redbud! I appreciate your dedication and it is great to know you have your children starting into the music at an early age. There are many great Cape Breton fiddlers. I have found that in all of the Celtic music I've listened to, the Cape Bretoners have the best sense of rhythym. All the best.

Rory MacA
PMEmail Poster               
whistlenrun 
Posted: 04-Sep-2004, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

male

Hey! band.gif
Tin whistle is a great instrument. I play whistle, violin, guitar, highland bagpipes, trombone, saxophone, tuba, and baritone but sorry I don't play that spanish instrument. Keep looking for help I'm sure you'll find some. I know how it feels to have no one in your area to play whistle with. It makes it kinda hard to learn and get new songs. cheers.gif
sláinte!!!

maith ádh.

--------------------
May your glass be ever full.
May the roof over your head be always strong.
And may you be in heaven
half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.
~ Irish Toast
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 04-Sep-2004, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

Highland bagpipes, bodhran, whistles (favourite being my low 'd'), lap dulcimer and drums (kit). I read music but prefer playing by ear.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 04-Sep-2004, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Wow! Keltic and Whistlerun should form a band. You guys are true talents! note.gif

Hey, Whistlerun, what does maith ádh mean and how do you say it?

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,346 Gold!

Whoa, didn't realize all of the musical talent that is here!! This is completely awesome. There is no better experience than to pick up an instrument to play no matter what your level is.

For myself, I took organ lessons for many years when I was younger. My very traditional teacher told me whatever I do - do not buy one of those electronic keyboards.

Well, I grew up and unfortunately I can't afford to have a huge hammond organ taking up my entire living room. So I did settle for one of those electronic keyboards.

I can play the keyboard, but I am by no means accomplished at it - although I do like to compose songs I have not done that for about 5 years. Perhaps once all of these Celtic music influences my musical hear will I once again try my hand at composing.

Here is a midi file of myself playing a composition I made called downstream (has a few mistakes in it if you listen carefully!).

Downstream by MacFive

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Annham 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

Hello All,
I wish I were musically inclined, I can't play anything but I try the harmonica. My favorite on that is "Polly Wally Doodle All Day" And I love to sing, but no solos please wink.gif
I would love to be able to play the bagpipes because I love the sound. And I love listening to music in general wub.gif

Anne

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

PS... I just listened to Macfive's "Downstream"
Good Work! I love it. walkman.gif
Anne
PMEmail Poster               
whistlenrun 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

male

Thanks MacAibhistin.
maith ádh (pronunciation is mah ahd) means good luck in Irish Gaelic. The low D is one of my favorites, play for all the airs, and it's the one I learned on but I think that I prefer the high D which in my opinion is better for jigs and reels.
note.gif
Sláinte
cheers.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Jimmy Carbomb 
Posted: 06-Sep-2004, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

Barleyjuice ~ "Pog Mo Tunes"Publishing
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: On The Road

male

Spanish Rover...

The rest of the band would debate whether or not I'm a musician.

If you would like a few mp3's, hit the website below... go to the "BarleyStore" and take the offerings that are listed under our two CDs. Grab them and then run before we know they're gone. I'll meet you in back of the pub to see what you need to know in order to learn to play them.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

male

Good... :-). I'll be listening those mp3s in a while. I'm sure they'll decide you're a musician (as I consider myself one, and I'm much worse).

By the way, which kind of whistles you play? (I mean which mark, if that word's is allright...). I've been having some problems to find a high D which has good performance on the higher notes of the 2º octave. That's why I prefer the low D. I manage to find a decent one!

I wish I could try a Dixon high D... I've been told they work great!
PMEmail Poster               
Taliesin 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

I learned to play clarinet and played all through school and college, getting into State and County Honor Wind Ensembles. After I graduated from High School, I decided to pick up a couple other instruments, so I started learning to sound decent on all the different clarinets as well as all the Saxophones. I prefer the Soprano Saxophone, but my best instrument is the clarinet, which I've played for about 15 years.

From there, when I decided I loved Celtic music, I decided to pick up the whistle, which I absolutely love. I wish I had the time to practice more on it. All I've been able to play are a couple songs that I have on my older Seven Nations CD's. I like the sound of the lower whistles, and I love my C!!! I wish I had a low D...that would be cool.

-Chris

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RovingWhistler 
Posted: 26-Sep-2004, 12:29 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

Realm: New Jersey

male

I am a Tin Whistle player myself. I've only been playing a few months but am hopelesly addicted to it. Coming from no musical background my Uncle did send me a whistle he made himself a few years back while living just outside Killarney. The whistle did not play quite right but was enough to prod me to get the resources and whistles that I needed to learn.

I have to say that D whistles are my favorite as they allow you to play along with most any other instrument with little to no adjustments needed on the part of the other players. my playtime is split between my tweaked Generation D and Clarke original whistles while I wait for the day I finally can pick up a Sindt D whistle.

As for what I play, that would be mainly lamants and slow airs. For some reason these tunes seem to stir my soul more then the jigs and reels(though they are a must for any good party). I also have a tendency to turn non airs into airs to suit my tastes better(afterall, irish traditional music is not about conformity, but whatever moves one the most right?)
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]