Posted: 30-Aug-2004, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Granada, Spain

male

Hi there!

I'm playing some wind celtic instruments, like tin whislte, and will like to exchange impressions with others musicians round here. I'm not a good musician at all, but I enjoy it a lot :-).

I failed to find anybody to play with in the place where I live, and that's why I think it will be interesting to exchange software, songs to play and advices with others fellow-musicians.

I will be specially interested in exchanging songs in mp3, not songs to be listened, but songs to learn to play.

Go ahead, tell us which instruments do you play!
PMEmail Poster               
The_Spanish_Rover 
  Posted: 30-Aug-2004, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

male

By the way, I arrived from a trip to Britanny and I bought a "bombarde" (I'm afraid my english is not good enough to translate to English a word I can not even say in Spanish), but now I'm having enourmous problems to play it.

I can not even make a sound with the mouthpiece ! !. I knew it was a hard instrument to play and requiered lots of blowing, but even tough, I can not make a single sound.

If somebody can help, that will be great :-).

Thanks !

PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 30-Aug-2004, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

I only play the violin and so cannot help with your bombarde problem... sad.gif I haven't played for that long and am not very good (in my mind at least). I don't know that many celtic tunes, the ones I have memorized are all appalacian.

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
capttrk1 
  Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Hagerstown,Md

male

Good Day'
I am learning the Bagpipes and have been playing for about 1.5 yrs. I enjoy it very much as the sound relieves stress . Two sayings that my Pipemajor has taught me work very well in learning and playing " If you can sing it you can play it." you say damn my voice it terrible but that dosn't matter all you are singing are notes and melody. Trust me it really works. after singing the music you get a feel for the tune ,where to accent it, where to hold notes or cut them. once you do this a couple of time you will find out that your fingers know where to go on the instrument. The other is" Let the pipes speak" no truer statement has ever been said and it goes back many years. and holds true i believe for any instrument . Let it sing the tune for you it will relay your feelings happiness, Sadness, Joy ,Sorrow it will all be expressed by the way the instrument sounds.BUT MOST OF ALL ENJOY THE MUSIC ITS FOR YOU YOU DON'T NEED TO BE GREAT JUST BE THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BE.
Play well and Enjoy
Capttrk1

--------------------
may the sound of the pipes make your blood boil and rise you up
my brothers. 9/11 Never Forget
PMEmail Poster                
dundee 
Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

capttrk1... great advise.... the singing playing thing....been doin that for years....
i play hammer dulcimer, hurdy gurdy and mandolin...... been thinking of delving into a variant of small pipes..... either scottish or border.... northumbrian seem a little to pricey for a decent set..... what tutor do you use the college of piping green book? or the cairns method?? note.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hi Spanish Rover! I am trying to learn to play piano and tin whistle, and the going has been pretty slow for me. I guess I'm just not a natural talent, so I'll have to learn music as a skill. sad.gif Oh well...

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

I like to tell people I'm a musician. I am not a very good one though. My family has always been very musical and my bros. and sis. have better talent than I do, but here it goes. I play piano, electric and acoustic guitar, tin whistle, and recorder. I love playing the whistle. I try to play the other instruments when I get a chance but i don't have the money to buy any of them and at school the access to a piano is next to nothing. I really enjoy and all the instruments I play are self-taught. That's the reason why I am not very good but hey I need to boast about something. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

male

I'm Glad to discover there're plenty of musicians round here!

As I might have said, I only play the whistles (tin and low) and the recorder. Now I've bought a "bombarde", but I'm really stucked with it. I wanted to buy a pipe instead of it, which is much easier to play, but they were to expensive for me, even the breton one, which is smaller and so cheaper :-(.

You're right when you say that you have to learn and sing (whislte in my case) before playing it capttrk1, and now that's the hardest part for me. Anyway, that's a good idea, but it's still hard to play it, as u have to do all the ornamentation, and at least with tin whistle, that's where problems begin.

I'm not a natural tallent at all WizardofOwls, but as long as u enjoy yourself playing, it will sounds good (at least for ya, and that's what counts !). It will be good to exchange some whistle learning stuff if you fancy. I've never learned music, and I can not read it. All I learnt I learnt it on my own, and that's why I think exchanging impressions with people will work fine smile.gif.

You're lucky to live in a musical family Ceciliastar1. Mine doesn't listen to music at all. In fact, I'm still wondering why do I like celtic and folk music, living where I live and with such a family. Allways that I see some new Instrument, and willing to play it, but unfortunatley I'm not skilled enough to play them all.
PMEmail Poster               
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Ceciliastar1 @ 31-Aug-2004, 06:36 PM)
I try to play the other instruments when I get a chance but i don't have the money to buy any of them and at school the access to a piano is next to nothing.

You are luckier than u think... I can not imagine a Piano in a school, and I dindn't take any music lessons when I was a primary studendt. (Of course, neigher I did later...).
PMEmail Poster               
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 03:41 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

male

About exchanging resources...

Those of you who play the tinwhisle, recorder or violin (or any other melodic instrument...). Do you have any favourites songs to play? Some song do you think is easy to play and sounds really good? Any recording of you playing? Some midi or mp3 files to play?
(By the way, is there any method to exchange information through the web page, or it's necesary to use a messenger or icq?)

Normally I use a program to play slower and replay some parts of the songs, but If I'm really in trouble, I try to look for the music sheet, but as It's really hard, I just look for the midi, and obtain the sheet. Of course, that's not enough, and you've the improve the playing of the song listening to it, but it works to begin.

note.gif note.gif walkman.gif note.gif note.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

I play the acoustic guitar - but not well. I am a strummer, more or less, with a bit of fingerpicking thrown in. I enjoy sitting with with a group of friends, who are better musicians, and playing and singing Scottish, Irish and North American folf tunes, bluegrass, gospel, etc. I also have a bass I am trying to figure out. I sure wish I learned to read music when I was younger!
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 31-Aug-2004, 09:01 PM)
I sure wish I learned to read music when I was younger!

Amen, brother! I'll second that! It's like trying to learn another language! I wish I were one of those lucky few who could play by ear without reading music. Sure would make things a whole lot easier!
MacAibhistin 
  Posted: 31-Aug-2004, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Me too. My brother is that way! He's a fabulous musician and all self taught! I am not sure why he got all the talent. Nonetheless, some of my most treasured moments in life have been sitting in a living room, or around a campfire sing tunes. when I lived in Nova Scotia, this was a common occurance. In recents years, living here in the North, I haven't found anyone with similar musical tastes, so I play much less.
PMEmail Poster               
The_Spanish_Rover 
Posted: 01-Sep-2004, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

male

When I started to play, I must say I was awful...

Now, I'm just bad, and some of the people who just listen me for a while, even think I'm good. Not everything is natural talent... Most ot the natural talent, comes because you enjoy what you're doing and you practice everyday.

Music is a feeling, not a skill, and like all feelings, the best way to feel, is open you heart and do it often.
PMEmail Poster               
Redbud 
  Posted: 01-Sep-2004, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Texas

female

It was just over a year ago that I got interested in Scottish fiddling from listening to some of the wonderful music coming out of Scotland & Cape Breton. My then 11yo daughter was taking violin lessons, & I couldn't get the thought of learning to play out of my head. So, September a year ago, I started formal lessons myself, with the goal of becoming good at fiddling some day. My 7yo son started lessons last March.

It was some months before I learned that the violin/fiddle is one of the hardest instruments to play! wacko.gif But I have perservered. I am heartened by the progress I have made, & also by the knowledge that my children will someday be good at it.

Most people don't seem to understand that it takes years to get to just an intermediate level in violin/fiddle, & want us to play for them. I don't seem to have any ability to play from memory or from ear (which is important in fiddling, as the ornamentation can't be written into sheet music). My young teacher says all of that will improve with practice & time--which seem to be the two magical ingredients for playing violin. biggrin.gif

I would also like to learn mandolin, as the fingering is the same for both violin & mandolin. Tin whistle would be fun to learn, as well. I am 44yo, so I guess I better get to practicing!
user posted image

Sherry

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]