> Loreena Mckinnett, Irish Celtic music
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 12:01 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Anyone like Loreena McKinnett? She is my absolute favorite Celtic singer, songwriter, composer. I love her voice and compositions of music, especially with the Eastern Indian influence. I have every single CD she has ever made. My absolute favorite song is The Mummer's Dance. Best song ever written, in my humble opinion. rolleyes.gif The last I heard was that she was touring Greece to work on a new CD. I hope it will be soon. If anyone has any other information, please update me! I am really anxious for a new CD of hers to come out.

What are your favorite CDs or songs of hers?
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
jaynebylak 
  Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 12:18 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacElder

Realm: North Carolina

female

Hello
Yes Loreena Mckinnett is one of my favorite females. I too love her voice. I have afew other favorites but she is one of the top singers i like.
Jayne
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 12:48 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

OMG! I just came off her official website and there was this year-end letter from Loreena! Sadly, we have to wait till September 2005 for her next CD! sad.gif But it was good to hear from her. Here is a copy of her letter for those of you who are interested. Sounds like she has had an interesting year!

"Hello one and all,

I imagine I can speak for many people when I say it is hard to believe a whole year has gone by so quickly. In re-reading my end of year message from 2002 and remembering what was on my mind then and what my hopes and intentions were, and now reviewing what I have accomplished since then, I realize that my favourite Lau Tsu quote is as applicable, as always: ?A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.? Over the last year, some things I hoped to attend to were attended to but took longer. Some things didn?t happen at all. Many things occurred which were both good and challenging and which I could not have predicted, and yet swayed the direction the year took. I would imagine many of your lives were somewhat the same.

It is always hard to find the message or messages in these developments. The need for humility is probably one message: the realization that we can only influence our lives so much and then life simply takes over. And there is the recognition, too, that we need to develop the capacity to let go at some points and hang on at others.

I have undertaken a considerable amount of traveling this year, much of which was related to research for my next recording. In June of this year, I traveled to Fez in Morocco, a city rich in Jewish and Islamic heritage, to attend the Fez Festival Of World Sacred Music. While I was there, I had the pleasure of hearing some wonderful musicians from Tunisia, Israel, Syria, Iran, Spain and the United States. The city of Fez is a wonderful and enchanting place, and I was immensely impressed by the level of professionalism and capacity for innovation shown by the many musical participants. Sadly for a city and country which has grown heavily accustomed to tourism, attendance at the festival was lower than hoped due to events in the past few years: the tragedies of September 11, the Iraq war and a terrorist event in Casablanca. It is my fervent hope that this festival which brings together all manner of religious musical expressions as well as interfaith and intercultural dialogue, will be able to continue its very important musical diplomacy.

I picked up my research travels again in September as I headed off to China and Mongolia. One of you had drawn to my attention the mummies of the Tarim basin near Urumchi, northwest China which some archaeologists believe to have had Celtic connections. Although the museum displaying these mummies was modest, the significance of these mummified remains is considerable. With European features and some with red hair, these mummies are testament to the ethnic diversity along the ancient Silk Road that linked East and West for many centuries.

One of the most striking things to be learned about these mummies is just how old the civilization of which they were a part, was. One of the world?s foremost textile authorities, Elizabeth Wayland Barber, writes in her book The Mummies Of Urumchi: ?When the earliest of these Central Asian corpses nestled into the sands of the Tarim Basin, about 2000 B.C. or a little after, the pyramids of Egypt had already stood for half a millennium, but the best known pharaohs, Rameses II and Tutankhamen were rather more than five hundred years into the future.?

During my trip to the East, I took the opportunity to spend time with some newfound friends in Mongolia who hosted me for a few days with their extended family of herders. This was a privilege which could not be compared with anything else. In an encampment of gers (large felt tents), people and camels in a remote valley, I spent time acquainting myself with the rhythms of one of the world?s last truly nomadic cultures. Fascinatingly, their life displays certain identifiable links with Celtic culture, from the knotwork on their saddles to their love of horses and the moving of their livestock from the summer pasture to the winter one. Spending time there allowed me to witness the fine art of animal husbandry blended with the fine art of living in harmony with the natural world, of ?living lightly on this earth?.

In contrast, the Mongolian capital, Ulan Bator, felt like the Klondike in many ways, busy and bustling with all the opportunities and vulnerabilities of a culture evolving from the wake of the former Soviet empire. I very quickly became fond of the Mongolian people, their music, their Buddhist spirituality, their exceptional hospitality and their determination and optimism as they move to recapture and protect their culture and heritage. I would highly recommend and encourage people to visit this remarkable place, be it in person or through journeys-in-spirit offered by countless excellent books and recordings that chronicle its history and present.

With my bags barely unpacked I headed off in October for my last research foray of the year, in which I returned to Turkey, Greece and Italy . Although my trip in Turkey was shorter and hence more condensed than I would have wished, I did manage to see and experience some things I had been longing to see. I stayed in the wonderful town of Safranbolu near the Black Sea, which is renowned for its magnificent architecture dating back to the Byzantine era. While there, I enjoyed a heartwarming evening of music with some local musicians.

I then moved on to the extraordinary Anatolian landscape of Cappadocia, a World Heritage Site famous for its volcanic tufa-rock formations and unique architecture including frescoed churches built by early Christians who burrowed deep into the rock. It was a truly magical moment to watch the twilight disappear around the ?fairy chimney? rock formations of the area.

We motored on through the Anatolian plain passing caravanserais (inns with central courtyards for receiving caravans crossing the desert) en route to Konya the home of the Sufi poet Mevlana Jaluddin Rumi. The museum in Konya was serene and rich in atmosphere and religious materials. My all-too-brief Turkish trip ended with a visit to the stunning site of Ephesus, the location of one of the early Christian communities in Anatolia the region to whom St. Paul of Tarsus ? one of the earliest converts to the faith and its first missionary in the Mediterranean ? sent pastoral letters, or Epistles. Paul visited this city twice on his travels through Anatolia; the Cave Of St. Paul in that city was a place of pilgrimage for Christians until recent times.

On my return from Turkey I spent a few wonderful days in Athens acquainting myself with some superbly dexterous Greek musicians fluent in both Greek and Turkish folk idioms and who were exceptional all the way around. The extended travels I had hoped for in Greece were not possible at this time and it is my hope that I can return there very soon.

I finished this trip with a stay in Tuscany, Italy where I was able to host some other wonderful musicians and get to experience their particular hybrid of Persian, jazz and Italian musical offerings. We dined, as one must in, a Tuscan hilltop village and played music until the dying hours of the day. A beautiful memory.

As I mentioned in last year?s message, we are all cognisant that the music industry is in the midst of a period of rapid change, altering to such an extent that we will probably no longer recognize it within a few years. Of course, we at Quinlan Road are hopeful that despite these changes, we will not lose touch with you. Therefore, please know that we are striving more than ever to maintain channels of communication, but we will need your involvement to construct new communication lines. Many of you will have received this letter from us by email, but for those who have not, please be aware that we would like to encourage you to send us your email address so that we can swiftly and inexpensively alert you to new developments here at Quinlan Road as they unfold . . . including, we hope, offering you the opportunity to follow along on the research and production phases of my next recording, which our present timeline suggest will be released in September 2005. While our communications with those who have joined the Quinlan Road mailing list (which you may do so by visiting our website or contacting us by phone or post) may not be frequent, we trust and hope that our news to you will be welcome. Please rest assured, once again, that whatever our means of communication to you, we will continue to respect your privacy and not share your information with any other organization without your permission.

Those of you who have recently contacted us or visited our website in order to view our catalogue of CDs and other merchandise may already be aware that we have entered into a new relationship with the Canadian online retailer MapleMusic.com. Your mail order purchases of Quinlan Road merchandise are now being fulfilled (ie packaged and shipped) by Maple Music, and Maple Music itself is now offering the same line of Quinlan Road CDs and other items that we offer you, via their website at www.maplemusic.com.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have written to us at Quinlan Road, or to me personally, over the last year. Although the volume of correspondence we receive is such that it is not often possible for me to respond directly ? sadly, I am only human and there are still only 24 hours in the day however much I try to stretch it! ? please be assured that your thoughts, suggestions, comments and information are gratefully received. We deeply appreciate the time you take to communicate with us. If your correspondence is responded to, as is often the case, by one of my colleagues here at Quinlan Road, I hope you will understand that this method of reply does not indicate that I have not seen your communication or am not interested in what you have to say: quite the contrary. I have learned, and know that I will continue to learn, much from all of you!

In closing, I can do no better than turn to the messages common to so many paths of spirituality ? be it Judism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism or countless others ? of love, compassion, understanding and serving others. Whatever path you and yours follow in your journey through life, I sincerely hope that the coming year will, for all of us, truly follow those shared values. "

Warmest wishes,

Loreena McKennitt
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I too like Loreena Mckinnet. I like to listen to her and Enya when I'm getting dressed for work in the mornings. I like the music of the Mummers Dance. It has a great beat to it and you can dance around the room and move your hips. biggrin.gif It gets your blood flowing really good.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
kidclaymore 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

THE BLACK KNIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAsh

Realm: North East Texas

male

I think she's great, I really love the way she sings Bonny Portsmore.

--------------------
Slainte
Cho Sona ri radan ann am muileann and Gus an coinnich sinn a rithisd
Clan Lamont
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I have to say that I love the Mummer's Dance. It gives me the chills. biggrin.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Man that so bumms me out having to wait another year and a half. but it's worth it for her stuff. Lady Loreena is definately someone I admire and I do have a complete collection of her CD's, as well as "No Journey's End". I should have asked her when I had the chance in April if there would be a pre-order list avaliable to get on. I was doing good I guess to ask her about her spelling of "Samain Night" (I'd only seen it with an 'h'). I know I want to get it ASAP. I was first expecting it sometime this year, then heard it wouldn't be until 2004... now not until 2005... Loreena, you're tortureing me!!! smile.gif

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 12:44 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Sulbig! You must be new! Welcome to Highlander radio and to our family here! Hope you enjoy it here. What you said about "The Mummers Dance" giving you chills, does the very same thing to me! I could listen to that song repeatedly all day long, seriously!

Aaediwen! I know how you feel. I was really bummed out that I have to wait until September 2005 for another CD of hers! Sheesh! She is my absolute favorite Celtic artist and I play her music all the time, but I have been inpatiently been waiting for a new album. Now I guess I had better work on my patience since I have to wait so long.....bummer. sad.gif Wow! You met her and talked to her? Tell us about that experience! I heard she is really lovely in person. She has to be to write and sing the music she does. thumbs_up.gif
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 07:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I only have one of Loreena's CD's so far, but expect to be getting more, as a result of listening to Celtic Radio.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I love Ms. McKennitt! My favorite songs are "Bonny Portmore" and "Marrakesh Night Market".

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
Aaediwen 
Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

didn't actually meet her face to face, but spoke with her on the phone. She is quite wonderful and kind to talk to, and I was on cloud 9 for the next two weeks. I must say though, that it's hard to talk when gathering one's jaw off the floor. We spent a few minutes talking about the Celts, and about the hardships she sometimes has trying to keep in touch with fan ^H^H^H Those who have found a place for her music in their lives. She tries, and wishes that she could use E-mail to reach everyone. Unfortunately, aeveral of the people on the mailing list don't have E-mail and it gets difficult and expensive to send out some 300,000+ newsletters on a regular basis in an attempt to keep up with everyone. She definately has her hands full.
How many here have I told of my first experience with "All Soul's Night" from The Visit? When I first put that CD in, it played continuously for the next 48 hours solid and never got past track one! I love that song. I wanted to write something based on it at the time but the words never came. Then when I was writing the letter to accompany a copy of Mysteries to send to her, I finally recieved the words for it. What I heard then became the first Stanza of "Waters of Life"
CelticRoz 
Posted: 22-Dec-2003, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Aaediwen! What a wonderful experience you had with Ms. Mckennitt. Something you'll treasure forever!

There were rumors flying for awhile even that she may never record another CD again. I was so glad to at least read her letter saying that she is indeed working on another recording, although we have to wait another year and a half.....sheesh! But like you say, I bet it would be worth it.

You are about All Soul's Night as I am about The Mummer's Dance. I swear I could listen to that song 24/7 and never get tired of it. Lately I have been listening to her two Christmas CDs. I just love those too.

I just love every song she does on every album. I never tire of hearing her. My favorites are:

The Mummers Dance
Marco Polo
The Highwayman
Night Ride Across the Caucasus
All Soul's Night
Between the Shadows
The Lady of Shallot
Tango to Evora
Courtyard Lullaby
The Mystic's Dream
The Dark Night of the Soul
Marrakesh Night Market
Santiago
She Moved Through the Fair

Irish Stepper 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

I have the Mummer's Dance Single CD. I think the single version of the song is the best. It was the theme song for a show in the US back in the early 90's. The show was about an 1800's family that raised Thoroughbred Race Horses in Kentucky. I can't for life of me remember what the show was called. Does anyone here know the one I'm talking about?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 04:23 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Sulbig! I know exactly what TV series you are talking about and for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it either! but that is where I first heard the Mummer's Dance song! So the single is the best, eh? I must get that then. Thanks!

Nice to meet you, btw. Hope you enjoy it here! smile.gif
Irish Stepper 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 04:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

Thanks Celtic Rose! This site looks really cool. A Scottish friend of mine showed it to me and I'm hooked already. Of course it's driving my husband nuts since he's not into celtic music, but if you're subjected to something long enough, you learn to tolerate it...hehe. Hopefully someone will know the name of the show, though, 'cause it's been bugging me for about 2 years now... I really loved the show too, which drives me that much more crazy!!! laugh.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]