Posted: 06-May-2004, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

Child of the Dark Lily
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: NorthEastern Pennsylvania, US

female

I have been unable to find any belief that is in sync with my being. I always figured that my soul would tell me that this is the true path.

I guess I'm just going to have to wait a little longer. Or is the reason I can't find my path because several of my family members keeping throwing a certain belief or two into my vision and it is clouding everything.

--------------------
Ciarda Lili

Always live for today.

Growing old is mandatory -- Growing up is optional.
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 06-May-2004, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Possible that having a certain view shoved down your throat could hinder your quest, but that view too, is worth evaluating to see if it fits with you. If it doesn't than take it as it is, the belief of another, and keep looking to see what else is out there...

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 07-May-2004, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

Angel, I started to ask this one way then realised you had already answered how I was writing it. So any items you use don't really have any connection with your ritual or practice, as being more personal items, right? Similar to my Quill, cloak, or class ring for example? Items that have symbolic meaning, but not religous/spiritual meaning. Right?

Basically , yes, I wear these Items all the time, what could be more powerful then that when it is needed? I don't believe in this " Wear (insert name of Item here) ONLY when doing a Ritual!" I'm not in to all that garbage, there is nothing more powerful to use in a ritual then something that holds a heart felt meaning to you.
People may disagree with me on that but, that is how I see it. For what my beliefs are at the moment , because I am sure they will change, my symbols are directly in touch with my religious beliefs.

Angel, you shouldn't limit yerself to A B AND ONLY C.

I don't see how I am limiting myself to one or a few different things. I follow what is in my heart.

And I think that todays modern 'witchcraft' has infused many of these other cultures practices. To make a completely eclectic 'craft'. Which there is nothing wrong with.

it has to be with so many people looking at it from their own perspective.

My problem is with author's claming this is 'true celtic magick', or 'norse magick' or what have you. If you read these books, it is obvious that they are taking Gradenerian method and applying regional gods to the supposed
'Celtic' practices.

as I have said before, no one knows exactly what really happened back then so when they claim that it's the ACTUAL way things happened I tend to laugh. As for Gardenarian style, I know nothing about it nor do I wish to. I have never heard or read anything positive about the man.
PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (Angel Whitefang (Rider) @ May 7 2004, 09:28 PM)

I don't see how I am limiting myself to one or a few different things. I follow what is in my heart.

it has to be with so many people looking at it from their own perspective.

As for Gardenarian style, I know nothing about it nor do I wish to. I have never heard or read anything positive about the man.

I think you have taken this the wrong way, deary. I was agreeing with you. It seems like you pull from many different areas. All, I was saying was That 'you' ( in the general sence) shouldn't limit yourself to A, B , C. Being a retorical statement.

If I remember correctly you had said you had studied or read.. ( idon't remember...LOL! wink.gif ) Buckland's Complete book of witchcraft.
"the big blue book'. That is 100% Gardinerian Wicca. Taught to Ray Buckland by Gardner himself. And 90% of ALL wicca books that have been written are based from his system.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I was agreeing with you. wink.gif
That's the trouble with text. no emotion......LA! smile.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Shadows 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Crystals, charms, stones, ritual, wands, etc., are all superficial trappings of those who need "things" to do magick!

The only thing needed is the "Rule Of Three" and the knowledge of how to use those things in nature.... here is the crust of the bisquit.... that you have empowered ! The power is in us not things!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 10:55 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

female

QUOTE (barddas @ May 10 2004, 11:17 AM)

I think you have taken this the wrong way, deary. I was agreeing with you. It seems like you pull from many different areas. All, I was saying was That 'you' ( in the general sence) shouldn't limit yourself to A, B , C. Being a retorical statement.

If I remember correctly you had said you had studied or read.. ( idon't remember...LOL! wink.gif ) Buckland's Complete book of witchcraft.
"the big blue book'. That is 100% Gardinerian Wicca. Taught to Ray Buckland by Gardner himself. And 90% of ALL wicca books that have been written are based from his system.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I was agreeing with you. wink.gif
That's the trouble with text. no emotion......LA! smile.gif

oops, Sorry Bardy Bro hug.gifs I guess I did take it the wrong way.
I did not know that it was Gardinarian. Nor did I realize that what is being taught is Gardinarian. Shows how much attention I have been paying. I appreciate you pointing it out, I have not studied Uncle Bucky's big blue Book much, to be honest I have a problem keeping focused. I am usually reading 8-9 different books at one time. sorry again sweety. I ask forgiveness for my ignorance.

angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 06:22 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

There is no reason to be sorry, Angel. It was a slight misunderstanding. Nothing more.

I will look up some information on, Alexandrian Wicca and post link to that info too. Alexandrian Wicca is a sect started by Alex Sanders. If anyone has read anything by the Farrar's that is Alexandrian. ( They wrote The Witches Bible And Eight Sabbats for witches.
Just for reference......
PMEmail Poster                
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 15-May-2004, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

female

That would be great! Thanks Bardy
PMEmail Poster                
Lyra Luminara 
Posted: 30-May-2004, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Éire (okay fine, it's really PA, USA but that's just boring.)

female

Faerie Magick is fun. I love working with them.

--------------------
If we could just stand here, without the words, would that be enough? ..Look at the sky now. What color is it? Or the way a hawk flies. Or you wake up and your ribs are bruised thinking so hard on somebody. What do you call that?

"Don't cross the street if you can't get out of the kitchen"
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

As promised-

The Alexandrian Tradition
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Alexandrian tradition of Wicca was established in the 1960s by Alex Sanders, and his wife Maxine. Originally Alex claimed to have been initiated by his grandmother when he was seven years old (reference, The King of the Witches by June Johns), but later admitted that this was untrue. In fact, he was initiated into a regular Gardnerian coven, by one of Patricia and Arnold Crowther's initiates, a lady by the name of Pat Kopanski.

When Alex began to publicise Wicca, he encountered strong opposition from more traditional members of the Craft. Some saw it as nothing more than a bid by Alex for personal notoriety; others that he was profaning a mystery. Whatever his motivation, the publicity certainly made people aware of his existence; he and Maxine initiated a great many people in the 1960s and 1970s, including Stewart Farrar and Janet Owen.

Janet and Stewart married, and over the past twenty odd years have published several books about Wicca. What Witches Do, published in 1971 (written during Stewart's first year as a witch), focuses completely upon the Alexandrian tradition, and remains the best guide to the way in which a typical Alexandrian coven operates. Rare, but perhaps still available in second hand shops, is a record of Janet's initiation, narrated by Stewart, called A Witch is Born, which also sheds some light on the traditional Alexandrian coven.

It is, of course, hard to quantify just what makes the essential "Alexandrian Tradition", as covens vary considerably, even within the same culture. I have yet to encounter two covens who work precisely the same way, even from the same line. Generally though, Alexandrian covens focus strongly upon training, which includes areas more generally associated with ceremonial magic, such as Qabalah, Angelic Magic, and Enochian. The typical Alexandrian coven has a hierarchical structure, and generally meets weekly, or at least on Full Moons, New Moons and Festivals.

Most Alexandrian covens will allow non-initiates to attend circles, usually as a "neophyte", who undergoes basic training in circle craft, and completes a number of projects, prior to being accepted by the coven for initiation to 1st degree. Some, though not all, Alexandrian covens will also welcome non-initiated "guests" at certain meetings. My own first experience of Wicca was as a guest of an Alexandrian coven.

Alexandrian Wicca uses essentially the same tools and rituals as Gardnerian Wicca, though in some cases, the tools are used differently, and the rituals have been adapted. Another frequent change is to be found in the names of deities and guardians of the quarters. In some ways these differences are merely cosmetic, but in others, there are fundamental differences in philosophy.

That said, over the last thirty years, the two traditions have moved slowly towards each other, and the differences which marked lines of demarcation are slowly fading away. Individual covens certainly continue to maintain different styles and working practices, but it is possible to speak today of "Wicca" encompassing both traditions.

Some Dates

* Alex and Maxine married and moved to London in 1967 (they were handfasted in 1965)
* "King of the Witches" by June Johns was published in 1969.
* Stewart Farrar met Alex and Maxine in 1969, when Stewart's publisher sent him to interview them for a magazine article. Stewart was initiated into their coven in London on 21 February 1970.
* "What Witches Do" by Stewart Farrar was published in 1971.
* Alex died in Sussex on 30 April 1988.

More Information

Books which include information about Alex Sanders and the Alexandrian tradition:

* King of the Witches (June Johns)
* Maxine the Witch Queen (Maxine Sanders)
* What Witches Do (Stewart Farrar)
* The Rebirth of Witchcraft (Doreen Valiente)
Alexandrian Wicca
PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

PMEmail Poster                
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 14-Jun-2004, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

female

Awsome!! Thanks Bardy hug.gif
PMEmail Poster                
freekenny 
Posted: 18-Aug-2004, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

QUOTE (barddas @ 21-Apr-2004, 01:23 PM)
I know that we all come from many different back rounds, and beliefs. I was curious to see how we practice what we believe....

Is it in specific rituals.... everyday unconsious acts... both or more.....

Lets get the ball rolling in here again!;)

O'siyo,
'What do I do?'.. wink.gif My belief is no matter how you 'practice', believe, or live your life that if it is done with the purest of conscious, heart, soul and spirit then you are doing something right!~ rolleyes.gif
Being from a Native American background, I 'pray', meditate and give thanks to the Great Spirit, an entity 'greater' than us all and Master of all things created~ clap.gif
Faithfully, each morn and eve I send up smoke, burning of white sacred sage and other herbs in a shell while focusing positive energies on all that is in need...whether it be a person, animal, idea or event..I use fans made of feathers (all feathers are sacred to the Native Americans) to send the smoke to the 4 corners/directions so as to bless and give thanks for all that I am surrounded by..I also read my daily 'message' from my Cherokee Daily Meditations book.gif
I have a chimmenia in my backyard that I use to burn cedar, sage, herbs, personal belongings (such as hair for those in need of a healing) during the changing of the seasons~ sleep.gif and during the Soltices~
I plant different types/varieties of corn each season, aye, even in the cold winter ground, as well so to ask the Great Spirit for all that are in need...this is also an offering/way of giving thanks to Mother Earth and the Great Spirit..
Most of my 'rituals' are done as conscious acts but, often I catch myself in the backyard after picking up a feather praying to the Great Spirit..Being that we are naturally creatures of habit so many of my rituals are also done without second thought~ nerd.gif
~~May you be blessed with all that Mother Earth has to offer~~
~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 22-Aug-2004, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I recieved an email some months back from my mother about a friend that was dying and has now passed. The person dying made the comment about old age not being golden, my reply and beliefs follow that statement. Here is the exchange:

Old age is not golden, it is brass and it turns green....

..... we all get older and our bodies wear out. Green is the sign of
mellowing and showing a patina... we look for this in our precious
possetions, so why not in our older folks. If you believe in what you
profess to believe, dying is the next step to the Creater. Do not be sorry
for your losses, but happy for the gain of those that go before the Creater.
Prayer can do wonders, but is it selflessness or selfishness that makes
us pray? What weighs the most?
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, folks; but I have a few questions.

1. What does the word Wicca mean? When I look at it's structure it does not look like Gaelic or Cymric word, therefore I am not convinced that it is Celtic?

2. What is the central core of the Wicca beliefs and does it really correspond to what little we know about pre-Christian Celtic nature religion?

3. Where do the ideas behind modern pagan beliefs and practises come from and are they a continuation of old practises or something basically made up and new?

Thanks to whoever tries to help me in my confusion.

Rory MacA
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]