Posted: 24-Oct-2005, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

I know that there are some pipers here at Highlandre Radio and I have been toying with the idea of learning the pipes. With a little research I've come to the conclusion that it's easier said than done.

Where did you guys start? How long did it take you to learn? What do you have for a practice chanter? What do you have for the bagpipes? Do you use plastic reeds in your practice chanter? What about your pipes? What was your first tune that you learned?

I have a musical background but with brass instruments and started to play an alto recorder. How different are the two?

Any help or suggestions will be welcomed.

stevenpd

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Keltic 
Posted: 24-Oct-2005, 09:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

The best thing to do is to get in touch with a local pipe band. There are usually a number of people willing to teach from each pipe band. It's a lot easier to learn properly through instruction. You won't start on the pipes for some time. All you will need to start is a practice chanter, 7 fingers and one (preferably two) thumbs.

I have a plastic practice chanter (you do use plastic reeds in the chanter), Granger and Campbell pipes with nickel and imitation ivory mounts. If my memory serves me right, the Skye Boat Song was one of my first tunes. The fingering is quite different from the recorder.

Anyways, the best advice that I can give is to contact a band in your area first.

You can find a list of over 30 pipe bands in California on my siteLinks to pipe bands

Hope this helps!!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 25-Oct-2005, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

As a woodwind player with a taste for the pipes, I have asked a lot of the same questions. I have found out this much:

The holes are tiny, and they do not curve with the barrel of the instrument. And you don't use the same part of the finger (the meaty ball of the first joint) to cover them as you would with a recorder or clarinet, for example. The fingers are held straight and you cover the holes with the second joint. This seems weird, but I have been told that it gives you the speed and control for the complex ornaments. Try it with the recorder to get a feel.

The pipes are notated with a range from a to a, but they actually sound in Bb. That is why they blend with the military band as well as they do.

I'm lucky in a way -- we have a Caledonian Society in New York that I've become involved with through studying gaelic, but they also offer pipe lessons. In fact my gaelic teacher is also a piper, and he has been gently hinting that I ought to consider learning. I have been thinking that I would like to incorporate modified versions of the pipe ornaments to playing celtic music on the recorder, so that is my reasoning at this point.
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 25-Oct-2005, 09:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

"I have been toying with the idea of learning the pipes. With a little research I've come to the conclusion that it's easier said than done."

There was an article on the BBC last year suggesting that the great Highland bagpipe was one of the most difficult instruments to learn to play. All music is played from memory, while maintaining a rock-steady pressure with an instrument with four reeds that's notoriously tempramental due to changes in temperature and humidity (that's constantly changing due to your breath), usually while marching. I've heard it described a walking in cadence with a greased watermelon under your left arm, while simultaneously chewing gum, rubbing your belly with one hand while patting your head with the other, while doing long division in your head and winking at the lassies as you march past without loosing your place, pace, or dropping the melon.

"Where did you guys start?"

Dunedin, FL

"How long did it take you to learn?"

My tutor might debate whether I've actually learned yet.

"What do you have for a practice chanter?"

An antique Lawrie blackwood practice chanter with genuine elephant ivory ferrule and sole,

A Fagerstrom electronic practice chanter, and

A Dunbar poly practice chanter.

"What do you have for the bagpipes?"

McCallum AB4's, with a Bannatyne hybrid bag, Selbie Mk II drone reeds (with inverted bass), and a 2000 Naill blackwood chanter; Ross reed.

"Do you use plastic reeds in your practice chanter?"

Yes and no; I sometimes use cane PC reeds in my blackwood Lawrie.

[/i]"What about your pipes?"[/i]

Wood composite and plastic drone reeds; cane chanter reeds

"What was your first tune that you learned?"

"Scots Wa' Hae"

"I have a musical background but with brass instruments and started to play an alto recorder. How different are the two?"

I've never played a recorder, but they look similar to a practice chanter (which is fingered identically to a bagpipe chanter, of course). Having a previous background in music, including reading notation and time signatures, would certainly give you a leg up. Also, you'll find the tuning a bit odd; mixolydian instead of even-tempered, and what we call Bb isn't very flat at all; anything from 475 to 480 Hz (sometimes even higher).

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 25-Oct-2005, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Thank you m'lady and gentlemen! This really helps, back to the research in finding a tutor!
stoirmeil 
Posted: 25-Oct-2005, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Emmet @ 25-Oct-2005, 10:14 AM)

Yes and no; I sometimes use cane PC reeds in my blackwood Lawrie.

Why does that make me think of a song?

"As I was roamin' doon the glen
ane morning bricht and airlie
twas there I lost my hert and a'
tae ma bonnie Blackwood Lawrie." tongue.gif

They say -- "seven years to the make of a piper go." Actually I found the quote, and it's very evocative:

"To the Make of a piper go seven years... At the end of his seven years one born to it will stand at the start of knowledge, and leaning a fond ear to the drone he may have parley with old folks of old affairs. Playing the tune of the 'Fairy Harp', he can hear his forefolk, plaided in skins, towsy- headed and terrible, grunting at the oars and snoring in the caves, he has his own whittle and club in 'The Desperate Battle' (my own tune, my darling), where the white-haired sea-rovers are on the shore, and a stain's on the edge of the tide; or, trying his art on Laments, he can stand by the cairn of kings, ken the colour of Fingal's hair, and see the moon-glint on the hook of the Druids".

- Neil Munro
PMEmail Poster               
talleyrand 
Posted: 25-Oct-2005, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

Just to second the notion of finding your local pipe band, I know the Kansas City St. Andrew's Society Pipe band (whatever their official title is) offers free lessons to all willing to learn. It won't take you to master piper level but can at least get you started and then you can usually get one of them to be your teacher. My dance instructor's son is in it and I know he teaches people. I can't recall what he charges for individual lessons but I wanted to say it seemed reasonable.

It's on my to do list at some point but for now I just enjoy hearing them.

Finally, Emmet your description cracked me up, even if it is accurate.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
wicwisworhun 
  Posted: 29-Oct-2005, 08:07 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

male

well i found in the a free mag that i might get is a dvd on how to lay them and a set to do ti on well i also geting i hope in a few days the irash hand drum that u now that wat cad some times play

to all keep it tribal
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 29-Oct-2005, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

hi wicwisworhun- do you have bagpipes? You must play drum also?? I didn't know that--

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 26-Nov-2005, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Just an update: I have decided to purchase a practice chanter according to the recommendations of an instructor. I am currently looking for a local instructor and have several to choose from. Amazingly, some of the folks around here have 30+ years in piping.

Evidently, getting together with an instructor before trying anything helps cut down on bad habits. Although piobaireachd is interesting, I think it will be awhile before I can play that style. Sharpening my skills with solo competitions and that too, is awhile off.
gwenlee 
Posted: 26-Nov-2005, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

My daughter started lessons this past summer. She was 14. I found her a private instructor who plays with the local Pipe and Drum Band. She has just started on a tune-Scots Wa Hae. Her instructor wants her to learn 6 songs before going to the pipes. I haven't bought the pipes yet. But I know it is a big purchase. Good luck on learning to play and let us know how it goes.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 26-Nov-2005, 10:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I was fortunate in that a local High school music teacher also taught piping. I obtained beautiful set of OLD set of pipes in need of restoration which started my interest. The entire process of playing the pipes requires getting used to. I call it an unnatural art. It took me three years to be just tolerable. My dog still "hops and jumps" when I play. I will only play with a "pipe band" but someday I may do Amazing Grace by myself.

Good Luck and I hope you are successful .

Slaìnte 

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]