Posted: 14-Nov-2003, 06:21 AM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

Aon Daonna ...

Would you be so kind to tell me what you are reading, bout the History of the Kingdom of Fife?
I'd think you may have a better lead on reading material than I smile.gif

I was thinking, books on the subject would be great Xmas gifts for my boyfriend .

Thanks .
In Service to the Dream,
Paula

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 14-Nov-2003, 06:29 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Paula
I know you are asking AD for recommendations - but I thought you might like to have a few suggestions from me, too!

This series of little booklets is quite good. I've seen 3 or 4 of them.... If you know exactly where in Fife your boyfriend's ancestors came from - you could ensure you buy the book of that village or town.

If his Scottish relatives are only a couple of generations back, it would be a relatively easy task to trace them - so long as you had a birthdate (even an approximate one!) but more importantly, a town.

http://www.stenlake.co.uk/books/fife.htm

Here's a website which you may find interesting, too. http://www.clyde-valley.com/fife/
PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 16-Nov-2003, 12:55 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacVine

female

Catriona,
Suggest away , please smile.gif
Knowlage and the sharing of it is a gift, I'd not refuse yours !

I have him digging away for town names now...
Gotta make him do a bit of the work ..
Should have some info in a few days .

Meanwhile ty for the links..
And all your kindness in sharing with me..
All of you ..

In Service to the Dream,
Paula
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 16-Nov-2003, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

I will have a look for you in the titles in our library for you. That's where I get most of the books from.
Also if you know where directly he comes from I can ask in the local Info Centre about fitting booklets and books.

I'm quite sure I will dig up something for you.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 16-Nov-2003, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacVine

female

Thank you both !

I think the fire I have been trying to light under his arse , fueled by showing him both of your posts , has caught fire to him now wink.gif

He is going thru his wedsites and papers, making a few phone calls, to get town names, I want to know anyway.. when we come there... these are the places I want to go !

At the games this year, there was a great historian in the tent, who had just come back from Scotland, I was trying so hard to listen to him, but , his wife was trying to sell me this new cotton wool blend tartan ...
He had a list of everyone who was buried in some crypt , who were all Clan Henderson descendants..I will find out what "Castle " they were speaking of.. and what town that was in.. might be a few clues there as well..

Again, my thanks ..
In Service to the Dream,
Paula
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 16-Nov-2003, 05:16 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Henderson, as a name, is what we call a Patronymic - ie Henry's son.... Like Thomson (Thomas' son) for example.

This means it is 'claimed' by a number of clans - here's a URL for Electric Scotland, which you might find interesting.
http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/h...l/henders2.html

I would just forewarn you that Electric Scotland admit that they do not check information which is submitted to them - so you would need to verify all facts, via other sources!

PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 17-Nov-2003, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacVine

female

Responded to privatly smile.gif

In Service to the Dream,
Paula
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 18-Nov-2003, 07:20 AM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

Ahoi Catriona! Greetings from the Misty Isle! My boyfriends surname is Parker and Rogers on his mothers side. He sais that his ancestors came three generations back from the Isle of Arran (stuck now in the London area) and his family is still very aware of that descent. They keep up the tradition in giving their kids Scottish names such as Bruce Graham in his case or Stuart for his brother. I got him fired up to research a bit into family history hehe. But do ye know by any chance where those names come from or where he could look to do some research? Cheers mate smile.gif

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 18-Nov-2003, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Hiya Faileas
Parker one of those names derived from a trade. It is from the Old French - Parquer - game keeper etc...

My sources say it is English in origin - although I know it is also known well in Scotland and Ireland. That wouldn't be surprising, as the Normans were given lands in both countries and they would have taken their staff (together with their job titles) with them!

Oops, forgot to put details about Rogers!

Rogers is a patronymic - ie from Son of Roger... it is English in origin from the French name. Again about the time of the Norman Conquest.

Don't forget some of the proudest names in Scotland are Norman in origin - eg Bruce and Fraser!
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 29-Nov-2003, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

Arianrhod:

A nice book for your BF might be

The Fife Book by Donald Omand published in 2000

It's compilation of articles about the region from the earliest people and the landscape to the Modern Era in the first part; the second part has got specific articles on certain subjects like folklore and traditions, place names, pilgimage sites and reformation. It also contains some nice picture tables.

(Just finished reading it today)

But if I have a specific name I might to find it easier just to send some booklets over.
PMEmail Poster               
stewart_clan1400 
Posted: 30-Nov-2003, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

female

I am not from the great country of scotland or any other celtic country all though I wish that I was. I am but 1/4 scot and 1/4 irish and 1/2 english. Great combo, huh?well besides that I would be very interested in reviving the beautiful ancient language of the Scots. I have heard a person speak in Scots Gaelic while i was in a bank and it was absolutely beautiful. If someone is letting this language die thats a very sad thought in my mind. I hope that we can get more people into learning the whole language. I know if it was offered hereat the high school where I live id be in that class fast then a scot can wet his whistle with whiskey.
So I would not want this language to die. It's beauty and mystery has even been heard by my ear and im on the other side of the world. I only know one thing in gaelic and that is "ceud mille failte!" that is all i know. I wish I knew more then that. But anyway i hope people can get it kicking off again and have just about every one learn it like in the olden days. The scots should have it as either a second language or a first language, morely first language. That way it won't be in danger of being a dead language like of the language around in the world. Well, i hope the people who know it fluently will be willing to teach it to others. May this language live on.

PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 01-Dec-2003, 03:16 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I'm glad you feel passionately about it, Stewart1400 - but as a Scot who does not speak the Gaelic - like the VAST majority of Scots cool.gif I would object to it being considered the first language in Scotland... unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Guest_Faileas
  Posted: 02-Dec-2003, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Thats not what we (the Gaelic learners and speakers) want, if I understand this wonderful (I am being sarcastic) Gaelic Bill. We just want it to see it equal besides English. We want to see it to become again a living language. As it is now its a language of song and poetry and maybe story telling, a language of great traditon, beauty and history. I and many others want to get it out of there. Saying that, I hear it a lot on Skye and not only at Sabhal Mor, where I am studying. There is a definite rise in interest throughout Scotland. Tis just that many people dont find the time or have the opportunity to learn it. If their interest was high enough, they would make the time tho. But this is a rat tail and the place where Gaidhlig stands now publically and in the head of the Scottish people has got to do a lot with the way it was treated over the last few centuries, and i am not only speaking from the time after the 1745, it actually started with the downfall of the Lord of the Isles in the 15th century.

But something has to happen to get it out of there. And the Gaelic Bill, with some real sense in it , is a very important step towards it. But not obligatory mebbe just mebbe for a year or two and then it could be dropped if the students really dont want it. And if things do get right mebbe we just could it get spoken again to south of Glasgow as it used to be at one point. As for teaching , .... , I myself am still learning but more than willing to pass on what I have learned so far ... smile.gif

Cum ur n-aire, gu robh dualchas mor agus luachmhor agad ..

(Stay aware that ye had a great and valuable heritage...)

Cum Gaidhlig beo! thumbs_up.gif rolleyes.gif

Faileas 
Posted: 02-Dec-2003, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

QUOTE (Guest_Faileas @ Dec 2 2003, 08:56 PM)
Thats not what we (the Gaelic learners and speakers) want, if I understand this wonderful (I am being sarcastic) Gaelic Bill. We just want it to see it equal besides English. We want to see it to become again a living language. As it is now its a language of song and poetry and maybe story telling, a language of great traditon, beauty and history. I and many others want to get it out of there. Saying that, I hear it a lot on Skye and not only at Sabhal Mor, where I am studying. There is a definite rise in interest throughout Scotland. Tis just that many people dont find the time or have the opportunity to learn it. If their interest was high enough, they would make the time tho. But this is a rat tail and the place where Gaidhlig stands now publically and in the head of the Scottish people has got to do a lot with the way it was treated over the last few centuries, and i am not only speaking from the time after the 1745, it actually started with the downfall of the Lord of the Isles in the 15th century.

But something has to happen to get it out of there. And the Gaelic Bill, with some real sense in it , is a very important step towards it. But not obligatory mebbe just mebbe for a year or two and then it could be dropped if the students really dont want it. And if things do get right mebbe we just could it get spoken again to south of Glasgow as it used to be at one point. As for teaching , .... , I myself am still learning but more than willing to pass on what I have learned so far ... smile.gif

Cum ur n-aire, gu robh dualchas mor agus luachmhor agad ..

(Stay aware that ye had a great and valuable heritage...)

Cum Gaidhlig beo! thumbsup.gif rolleyes.gif

OOpss somehow i must have been signed out when i typed this lol but its of course me smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 02-Dec-2003, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

We knew that FotW - no-one thought you were posting under 'false colours'!! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]