Aaediwen's Journal

Index -> Journal-> Pirates!

Journal Entry

Add Entry   

Pirates!
Posted by Aaediwen on Dec 9th, 2004 6:02 PM
Ahoy!

Anyone remember the old MicroProse game, Pirates, released in 1987 for C64? One of Sid Meier's first. I was playing it in an Emulator and started thinking 'Ya know, this is a really cool game and I've neverheard of anything else with the theme... Wonder if anyone has taken this idea and updated it for modern hardware?' So I went to the all-knowing Google to find out. I found nothing at first. Found a couple more with the same theme, but they were a lot more limited than Pirates!, despite the updated graphics.

Then I found this. Atari working on exactly what I was looking for. This began an anxious wait (as well as my only visits to places like IGN and GameSpy) to watch this game like a hawk. The wait is over, and it was well worth it!

If you've noticed me being absent from the site, this is why. Been up until Midnight three days this week playing Pirates! 2004. It's everything I was hoping for smile.gif And I still don't know of another game anything like it. I'm also finding out I'm not better at cyber dancing than I am in life. However, I've put all but one of my nine cometitors to port, perminantly, rescued my sister, found three of my competitors' hidden stashes, captured three Spanish towns, got two governors' daughters acting as leisons for me (despite my bad dancing), I'm an English Marquis, French and Dutch Admiral, and the Spanish have a hefty price on my head (Which they'll never collect at the rate they're going). My fleet size is fluxuating, but I wouldn't trade my flagship for any other sailing the seas. A nimble sloop, Dia na Farrige has never failed me.

Now if you'll excuse me, time to reboot and play Pirates! 2004

Please post your comments below.

Add Entry   

Monkey Island?
Posted by Ceciliastar1 on Dec 13th, 2004 12:32 PM
Have you ever played monkey island? It's a PC game. There are three of them. The first is very low graphics and what not but they progressed through time. I love those games. I haven't played them in forever. I think Pirates of the Carribean was based on these computer games! Check them out if you can! They're great!

Number of times Journal has been viewed:

Homepage Journal is a service of CelticRadio.net!