Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Are You Doing What You Really Want To?, If Not What Are You Doing To Start?
birddog20002001 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 05:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

Right now I am self-employed I am a real estate appraiser. I don't really enjoy it (being tied behind a desk) but it does pay the bills. It is a little slow right now so for the past week I have started working with a friend, remodeling a house he bought the house is about 115 years old and is a 2-story. We have ripped up the floor on the 1st story and on the second we ripped out the ceiling and raised the framing to 10' ceilings The chimney needed some work and there was about an inch of soot everywhere so for the past 2 days I have looked like some crazy Welsh coalminer and I am now out of skin trying to scrub the soot off and have got a healthy dose of BlackLung despite respirators. I am also thinking of getting a few Llamas, and using my GI Bill and getting a ass. degree in Ag Sciences. That has always been an early love of mine.

What about ya'll?

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

YOu might check with Leo about that Lama thing before you jump in to deep unsure.gif he seems to know a lot about them. If you are thinking about Monkeys be sure to check with the Peckary tongue.gif

Right now I sell wholesale musical supplies to retail outlets and it pays the bills but what I really want to do is be a full time professional musician (make my entire living selling CDs, performing writing songs etc)

I have been working towards this since Jan 1999. (I was a performing musician previous to that it was just at this point I decided it was what I really wanted to do for a living)

I have produced 3 CD's with my band since and played over 1400 shows. Although the music is earning money, my wife and I have yet to turn a profit (part of this is because we do a lot of original music and it is hard to get good pay for this if you are not signed a label that is getting you commercial radio play)

As far as what I am doing to reach this goal. There are a number of things that we are doing.

We are continuing to shop our music to labels, agents and management companies. We are still playing a lot of shows (mostly in the Mid-West) We are starting 2 additional music projects that are totally cover music as we feel we need to seperate the cover music that we do from the original and traditional so that both can thrive and the 2 cover projects are for 2 different markets that promise to pay well.

We are working on our 4th CD with this band (our 6th total) and I have plans to do another immediately following that will be all arangements of traditional songs (I believe this will help us in the Festival Market)

That's all that I can think of for now biggrin.gif

Peace

Mikel
www.arminta.net

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
oldraven 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I'm a Drafter. A Technical Illustrator. It pays the bills, and as jobs go I can't complain. But it certainly isn't what I want to do. It's what I have to do. It's very much my kind of thing. Nitpicky, precise, but with a feel of artistry.

But I'm a writer. Even if I've never been published, I'm still a writer. If you count online Automotive newsletters, then I have been published, (but I doubt you do). Writing must be a secondary carreer for me. Quiting my day job to write would be foolish. I'd be happy, but living in my car.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (birddog20002001 @ Feb 18 2004, 06:22 AM)
I am also thinking of getting a few Llamas, and using my GI Bill and getting a ass. degree ..... That has always been an early love of mine.

While that is a subject I studied at great length in college, I never considered getting a degree in it. tongue.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

Yup.. I'm fulfilling two of my dreams at once.. I'm learning how to restore furniture in college and I live in Scotland together with the one I love... couldn't be better

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Yep, I am doing exactly what I want. I am a stay at home housewife, which affords me the time and opportunity to do my artwork full time. smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I am an administrative assistant, receptionist, inventory control manager, trainer, database administrator, and local tech support for a Vacuum cleaner franchise. It doesn't pay the bills.

I would love to be completely self-sufficient, and not have to deal with a job. I would like to build my own house, grow my own food, and concentrate on my art. I would also love to be a "professional student"

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

I am an English Teacher -- BS in English, Special Education and certifications in Individual Occupational Training, Career Development Facilitator, Office Occupations (college only), Career Administration, Chemical Awareness and Training Group Facilitator, Special Education Law, and some other stuff with a Masters in Human Resource Training and Development.

I want to live on a beach somewhere warm and cheap and run a bar. Can't do that for at least 7 years because I can't afford it until I get early retirement. If the district/state takes that benefit away it will be 13 years. Ugh! Wish I could go today. cry.gif sadangel.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
maisky 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Feb 18 2004, 01:03 PM)
Wish I could go today. cry.gif sadangel.gif

I'm ready to go with you. I will be the fishing guide...... biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

I allways wanted to be blissfully happy when I grew up smile.gif

Everyday , I thank my Maker, for letting me be where I am in my life...

What I did before matters not.. where I am today is everything...

I count peace of mind as one of lifes greatest gifts!

There are still things on the " Lifes to do" list"..
I hope I never run out of them...
For me , thats another blessing..

We are all Blessed and Lucky ....
and very capable of changing anything we don't care for ..
and making it into something we love ..

I have posted the Deseratia here before...
but incase anyone missed it,,, or is feeling that their life is not all it should be..
Here it is again...

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, & remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly & clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud & agressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain & bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your acheivements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many people strive for high ideals; and everywhere the world is full of heroism.
Be yourself, Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of Spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Beyond a wholesome disipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you the, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be Happy.

In Service to the Dream,
Paula

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

QUOTE (maisky @ Feb 18 2004, 12:08 PM)
I'm ready to go with you. I will be the fishing guide...... biggrin.gif

If you'd with that darn lottery we could leave as early as this afternoon! fish.gif Hurry up! Times a wastin', bro!!!
talleyrand 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

I'm a rarity in that I am doing what I want to. wink.gif I get to program most every day of my life which is what I have enjoyed doing since I was knee high to a grasshopper. However, I'm not opposed to fishing most every day of my life, just as long as it's on a nice creek.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

That was beautiful Paula! You are always such a pleasant and postive person! thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Faileas 
  Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

Aye, doing exactly what I want (took me long enough to find out what that is alas). Learning Gaelic, living on the Isle of Skye with very nice people and being able to communicate with my dear lad at least via internet biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Of course there always a few Gremlins around, be it sometimes a bit wetness or fog; be it a job thats really not a dream on the weekend (shelf filler, but even that has a lot of plusses and it pays the bills; in fact it helps make my dream possible biggrin.gif ) or a lack of energy alas. But , friends, I tell ye what, looking forward to a greater dream, once Bruce is moving up biggrin.gif (hopefully in the not too far future) and the bigger dream I live makes the Gremlins vanishing small , even that one called money hehe. Its not easy living this dream, but more than worth it and I dont regret taking all the risks I had to take biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Faileas @ Feb 18 2004, 01:12 PM)
Aye, doing exactly what I want (took me long enough to find out what that is alas). Learning Gaelic, living on the Isle of Skye with very nice people and being able to communicate with my dear lad at least via internet biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Of course there always a few Gremlins around, be it sometimes a bit wetness or fog; be it a job thats really not a dream on the weekend (shelf filler, but even that has a lot of plusses and it pays the bills; in fact it helps make my dream possible biggrin.gif ) or a lack of energy alas. But , friends, I tell ye what, looking forward to a greater dream, once Bruce is moving up biggrin.gif (hopefully in the not too far future) and the bigger dream I leave makes the Gremlins vanishing small , even that one called money hehe. Its really not easy, living this dream, but really worth it and I dont regret it at all biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I'm working on living such a dream myself. smile.gif Every moment toiling in the west leads to an age living happily in the east.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]