barddas 
Posted: 29-Jun-2004, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I was curious to see what everyone else is doing to improve their living space this summer.

Me, I am sanding down my deck. It appears that the previous owners did not weather treat the wood and it has begun to split in areas of the grain. So I am sanding it down so that no one will get hurt walking in bare feet.
I had originally started doing this task by hand. Yes, a wood block and sand paper. ( Yes, m'wife thought the same thing!!!!;) ) So after sanding a portion of the deck by hand. Jody bought a large hand sander.
I am hoping to get started back on this this weekend. And have it completed by mid July.
That would be everything finished. Sanding, staining etc.......

That is my big project for right now.
What about you? Inquiring minds want to know..... wink.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 29-Jun-2004, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

I actually have one summer project. That is to find a home. haha! I'm living with family now. I am waiting for my own place, I am still on the waitlist. I cannot wait until I can decorate!

usaflag.gif

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Dreamer1 
Posted: 29-Jun-2004, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Oh My! where to start? Please understand 1) this is an ongoing list 2) that I hope to have most of it done by end-of-summer but 3) I refuse to freak about it! tongue.gif

All garden areas desperately need the soil amended with quality compost! We live in a 333-yr.old house. It's been a farmstead for many generations, though not for at least 70 years. I really don't think anyone's added any fresh soil for at least 70 years, either, as the stuff we have now is just dust and nothing wants to grow well except weeds. Once the soil's been refreshed then I'll enlarge the garden areas and have fun adding tons of new flowers and fruit (mostly berries!) Oh, and there's always the Battle with the wild roses, bittersweet, and black locust that want to take over the world (hahahehehoho).

Our gravel driveway needs several new layers of gravel, and weeds destroyed(!!!) for good. (Somehow our plowing service drivers keep shoveling the gravel out and tossing it on my flower beds, so those are always being cleared in the Spring. We stopped the service this past Winter, but I'm still finding gravel).

We all love to read, and wouldn't dream of parting with any books, so of course we need more bookshelves. We're currently finishing up a set now.

Barddas, we'll be doing something like you but with our hardwood floors. They're in dire need of resanding and refinishing.
Also, we've noticed that some of the wood siding will need to be replaced next year, if not this Fall.
One of the bathrooms needs its ceiling repaired and replastered, but that's part of having an old house I guess.

The list goes on, but it's mostly minor stuff after that, and besides-isn't that what being a homeowner's all about? wink.gif laugh.gif The most important thing is just having fun with our girls!

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
barddas 
Posted: 30-Jun-2004, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

Dreamer1, That is a lot of stuff!
And I also plan on refinishing my hardwood floors. That's an Autumn/ Winter project! wink.gif
PMEmail Poster                
birddog20002001 
Posted: 30-Jun-2004, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

No Dude, It's the Isle of Dude, Dude.
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

I had originally started doing this task by hand. Yes, a wood block and sand paper. ( Yes, m'wife thought the same thing!!!!;) ) So after sanding a portion of the deck by hand. Jody bought a large hand sander.
I am hoping to get started back on this this weekend. And have it completed by mid July

Let me stop you right now, go down to a local equipment rental place for @$30.00 you can rent a large drum sander and buy the sandpaper for @$1.00-2.00 each sheet it will take you about 2 hours max. for each 300 sf of deck depending on howw fine you want to make the surface then you can go around the edge with a hand sander. Please just check it out if not for your sander how about your knees and back.

In the next 12 months I plan to put in about 700 sf of hardwood floors, 300 sf of Tile in the kitchen 1 bath and laundry. build concrete counter tops and rebuild an island in my kitchen, insulate and drywall my 2 car garage. build a wall bookshelf that goes to the 10' ceilings and fits a tv, built up the mantle of the fireplace, rip out all of the upstairs carpeting decide what to do with that flooring, paint the two offices and our bedroom, redecorate my bathroom and rip out my wife's make it larger take out the jacuzzi tub and shower move the toilet, put in glass block windows, and make the shower an open room shower.

Later I would like to widen my driveway build up my culvert bridge cut down two trees, plant hedges, terrace my back yard and put up a retaining wall on the creek. And finally build a nice firepit and cabana by the creek.

Thank God my father-in-law is an engineer, my uncle-in-law is a contractor and they both like me have lots of tools time and live close.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
Herrerano 
Posted: 30-Jun-2004, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

We are nearing the completion of our summer project. A little late I guess since down here summer ended about a month ago.

We took out the walls that seperate the kitchen from the living/dining room, and from between the terraza and the kitchen (terraza is like a back porch area). Then put up an external wall to close in the terraza and made it into the kitchen with new concrete-tiled counter, new cabinents and a lot more space. Closed off an area at the back side of the house to use for the washing machine and the all important beer refrigerator. Put in open barred doors and windows in all of the area that we converted. (This looks good, and down here there is no need for glass or anything as long as there is a good overhang. All of these look out over enclosed spaces.) About all that is left is to put in about 50 square meters of floor tile. It has been bought, just waiting to be installed, but we have to break out the new kitchen floor first to adjust the floor level.

Gotta get done cause we have company coming the middle of July. tongue.gif

Next I need to do more work on the rancho, make a little adjustment on the floor to help with drainage etc, and want to build a barbecue that is more or less permanent.

Leo cool.gif

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

¡Visté! ¡Te lo dijé!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 30-Jun-2004, 10:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

No projects planned for this summer other than we are going to enjoy the family. The past several summers have been busy with projects and we decided to make a change this year. We got the boat out of the barn, got it all cleaned up and ready to head out to the lake. Took it out yesterday for a test run, everything seems fine and tomorrow we're going to the lake with our daughter, her husband and their three kids for a day of skiing and tubing. In a few days we'll go out again with our son and his family. My nephew just bought a new boat and we're going to take both boats and all go out next week. And we're all going to go camping sometime in the next few weeks too! Fun! Fun! Fun! tongue.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
cscunningham 
Posted: 01-Jul-2004, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

male

I hope to bring to closure a 3-year summer project. I had an Iris garden on the inside of my front-yard stone wall. It became overcrowded and escapees from from Day Lily collection started popping up. At one time this garden was a rainbow of colors in the spring. I am about half done, if the weather holds the job will be completed this year.

Talking about Irises if any of you live in the southern NH region, I will be dividing my Irises over the summer and will have plenty to share. Drop me a line and we can arrange a time for you to stop by. Most of the Irises that I am dividing are the more common ones, sorry I do not know their names.

construction.gif Keep working on those projects.

--------------------
C.S. Cunningham, Clan Cunningham USA -
Membership Coordinator & New England/New York Region Director
[email protected]

If there is righteousness in the heart,
there will be beauty in the character.
If there is beauty in the character,
there will be harmony in the home.
If there is harmony in the home,
there will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation,
there will be peace in the world.
So let it be.

My Webpage
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
faolin 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

female

Well, my parents are taking advantage of the last summer that they'll have me around for so I am doing all the chores that have been put off for the last couple of years. So far I have stripped the wall paper from 4 rooms, peeled loose paint so that it could be repainted, sawed up fallen branches, cleaned out the fridge, reorganized the attic, and in general just fixing up the house. All I can say is that I'm glad that they haven't got me to do the garage yet!

--------------------
Bitheadh e mar sin
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 13-Jul-2004, 06:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

Gosh, Faolin, You have had a busy summer. If your folks don't remember the garage, I have one that needs cleaning! rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 19-Jul-2004, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

This was a very productive, satisfying and physically strainful weekend.
We made a new flower bed. Measuring about 10-12' long by 7 wide. This meant removing the grass from the area, and shaping it. ammending, and turning the soil. Then mulching the area.

Yesterday we stopped by an area that had been cleared and gathered many of the stones that were there. (pleanty more are still there!!) Arranged those around the new bed.
Then we moved the big stone.. It weighs about 250 lbs, and is about 3 ft tall. It is wide at the bottom and starts to slightly narrow near the top. I dug a small groove where it was to be placed. ( on top of a small hill) when the groove was at the appropriate depth ( 6inches deep, 5inches wide 15 long) Turned the stone upright and packed in dirt to keep it in place. It resembles some of the smaller megalilths in and around the Orkney Islands. I think it's pretty cool.... not sure what the neighbors will think..LOL!!!

We also layed some prefab'd concrete tiles. There are 4 of them and when put together they form a circular pattern of a cobblestone appearance. I set those flush with the ground used a push broom to fill in any open spots, and evened out the rest with a rake.
I thought this would give an old time appearance(maybe like an old Roman something......) to the wooded area since no grass grows because it is so shaded.....

Busy weekend...after all the work on Saturday we went out to eat had a couple pints, came home and enjoyed the nice breeze on the deck.

Cheers
PMEmail Poster                
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 19-Jul-2004, 08:34 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

My father is gone for the summer so I have quite a bit to do. As we speak I am on a break from really cleaning, painting and redecorating my bathroom. I soon will have to repaint the house, finish the kitchen shelves, fix the leaky ceiling in the back room, and hopefully retile the kitchen. But it cost more money than I have at this moment so it'll be an on-going process for most of the summer. I don't really want to think about it right now... sadwalk.gif

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
faolin 
Posted: 19-Jul-2004, 11:34 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

female

Em, it sounds like you are getting bogged down! Don't worry though, we're all in this together (said as I am halfway through painting the back of the house!) biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 20-Jul-2004, 01:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

Summer Projects~~ Seems as if they haven't stopped since I purchased this home~~smile~~ 'She' was built in 1929, first home in this neighborhood, nothing was 'wrong' with her and she is as strong structurally as they come! Hence the name I gave her 'The Anchor'...but, I believe anytime someone purchases a home they wish to add their 'special touches' so that is what I have been doing..
Ripped up all the carpet on the main floor and the upstairs to reveal the most beautiful wood floors..Nana said it is 3-grain-salt-pine from North Carolina..rented a sander and sanded all the floors including the stairs and two landings..Wow! Talk about a project!..but, well worth it for they are spectacular now! Began February- Completed that project in April.
Stripped, sanded and sealed all the window frames (27 total), 2 sets of French-doors, main door w/ two 6-foot windows on either side, & base-boards to reveal solid oak and it is beautiful ~smile~ Another 'tough' project..that took me about a year off and on..just finished in late May.
Had many estimates on privacy fence and well, I wasn't about to pay twice as much for labor as the materials were going to cost me so I got the bright idea lightbulb.gif to do it myself with a little help from my friends! Started that project first week of June and other than one gate that I am having custom made, it took about 3 weeks (no week-ends) ~grin~ And the friends, mostly male, well, they just came for the beer beer_mug.gif that was suppose to be for 'after the project was completed'! LOL~~~ Looks good and took only 3 women to put it up! It's 10 foot high and encloses a lot approximately 120x120.
Next project I am still contemplating..This is a brick home, 3-stories (including a full size basement approx. 800 square feet) and I have been thinking of stucco'ing over the brick..I saw so many homes that were stucco'd while in Mexico, Arizona and even in North Carolina and they are truly beautiful! I was told if I did this it would prevent the house from 'heating up' so much because there would be no bricks to heat up or retain the heat. Plus, I really love the look that stucco gives a home...a very Southwestern/Adobe look and feel..Sometime in Aug-Sept. I am hoping to have a crew from North Carolina to give me an estimate for that job.
For now, mid-July, other than some painting and remodeling a master bath, I am going to take it easy..tend to my gardens and flowers and ride my Harley! I deserve a break ~grin~
Good-luck to everyone that is working on home improvements! And beware of those Home&Garden television shows that make everything look so simple! LOL..when they ask the homeowners if they would do it all again, after watching them go through hell, they simply reply, 'of course it was fun and easy' Yeah right! They need to watch the show they were just on! LOL~~
Sty-U~~ happy.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
Posted: 20-Jul-2004, 06:10 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

QUOTE (faolin @ 19-Jul-2004, 11:34 PM)
Em, it sounds like you are getting bogged down! Don't worry though, we're all in this together (said as I am halfway through painting the back of the house!) biggrin.gif

Yeah, thanks. thumbs_up.gif Good luck on yours. beer_mug.gif Here to help you get started.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt