Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I Want To Put The Kilt On!, but no courage...
bubba 
Posted: 22-Oct-2004, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

I wear kilts every day everywhere I go. The comfort is fantastic. Keep on wearing them, others will get used to it and may even give it a try.

--------------------
[SIZE=7]Curtesie is cumbersom to them that kens it not.
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 30-Jan-2005, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Time to revive this topic because.....

My kilt is on order! The order went out in the mail this week. I'll be getting a USA Kilts Philabeg in the Gunn tartan. I should have it (hopefully) by my birthday on March 7th. It's a gift from my wife. I can't wait to get it. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Gordon 
Posted: 30-Jan-2005, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Texas

male

Avonlea,
Great news!! You'll have to post a pic in the new attire once it arrives.

And as for Celticwoodsman, I whole heartedly agree. I am also no Adonis but it seems whenever I wear my kilt out, I get alot more looks from the ladies and even gents seem to take more notice. I wear mine at school on casual days, which are normally test days for us since we leave once done with the test and I always go out for a bite afterwards with some of the classmates. Service is always much more attentive if we end up with a waitress. cool.gif laugh.gif

Gordon

--------------------
Lay you down in green meadows amongst the heather for it is there the music calls to your soul and beckons you home.
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 30-Jan-2005, 10:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,857 Gold!

Way to go Brian. thumbs_up.gif You'll definitely have to wear it once you get to NC. biggrin.gif

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
bubba 
Posted: 30-Jan-2005, 11:54 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

Brian, you're going to love it. Rocky and Kelly do good work and you can't beat the comfort.
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 31-Jan-2005, 12:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

I wore shorts into the city the other day, I had a messy job to do and didn't want to soil my kilt.
It was the first time in months that I'd been out of a kilt. I felt INVISABLE, nobody looked at me! and while I don't seek to be noticed, in fact I would rather be unnoticed, yet it was strange.

A kilt will make you stand out from the crowd and make you feel like the celt! you are.

well done Brian, I know your USA kilt will fit fine and feel good.

--------------------
capttrk1 
  Posted: 31-Jan-2005, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Hagerstown,Md

male

A Kilt is mens wear , woman don't wear kilts they wear skirts . Though at many bagpipe competitions I have seen woman in kilt,s they are still wearing mens clothing.
Spend the money and your kilt will last a life time 16oz wool . You will also find that the pleats will stay straight and will fall into place if you keep it hanged up while not in use if they do get wrinkled while you wear it they will fall back into shape. Piob Mior has a web site and they can help you.If you order from Scotland there should not be a bountyon the import do to its classed ethnic wear but they try to hit you with a $90.00 bounty you can fight them over this some times it works sometimes not .Good luck and wear PROUDLY.

--------------------
may the sound of the pipes make your blood boil and rise you up
my brothers. 9/11 Never Forget
PMEmail Poster                
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 31-Jan-2005, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

capttrk1, 16oz scottish wool is wonderfully warm and comfortable - in winter.
However, Down Under we are enjoying summer, so I'm thankful for lighter kilts that are now available such as the poly viscose kilts made by Bear Kilts and USA Kilts.

They may not be quite so traditional, but the kilt has evolved over the last 3-400 years and continues to evolve.

My interest is to see as many men in kilts as possible and to revive into fuller acceptance this wonderfully practical, healthy and comfortable garment.

you might like to check out www.xmarksthescot.com
Shamalama 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

Anyone have any experience with Stillwater Kilts?

- I'm considering my FIRST kilt purchase
- I'm on a budget
- I'm still convincing my bride a kilt would be more than a novelty
- I'm still convincing myself I would have the courage to actually wear one

My tartan is VERY uncommon, so my first kilt will not be a custom job costing $800. $74 for either a Black Stewart, Royal Stewart, or Black Watch is much more in my (and my bride's) budget. That and a simple sporran would be the extent of my allowance for awhile.

Although my 19-year-old daughter has already said that she'd like to see me in a kilt when she gets married. I've already told her she can't get married for another 10 years, so I have a bit of time there.

I have never seen a kilt in my hometown, my job would never allow it, so I don't know (outside from wearing it at home) how I would "introduce" it to the world. People at work have already threatened that they will throw things at me if I show up in a kilt. People at church have said they'd pray for me - but do it from a distance.

Right now I'm on a diet for the sole purpose of getting one in a better size. I need all the assistance I can get to hold the laughs to a minimum, so I'm working on trimming the tummy. Right now I'm a 38" and I won't get a kilt over 36" (proper belly button level, not the low-on-hips stuff).

I just don't think I want a velcro or an elastic kilt. I've been looking hard at Sport Kilt (more selection, cheaper), but I want the leather straps & buckles and the pleat to the sett of Stillwater, even if they offer fewer selections.

Geez, I'm in a quandry. I admit it - I'm scared. Some of you pros need to help me out a bit here. I check X Marks The Scot occasionally, and am thankful for the opinions expressed there. Brother Tassiecelt, I admire your courage.

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
talleyrand 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 04:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

I'd say start small, wear it around the house until you're comfortable with how it flows and other parts are used to the freedom. Then do little things like run to the grocery store in it, go fill your car up, buy stamps, etc. Then find longer and longer things to be out in public with it on.
And definitely be prepared for questions, rude comments, admiration, complete strangers trying flip up the kilt, etc. Best of luck with it Shamalama!

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,857 Gold!

Brother Shamalama, I'd suggest wearing it first (in public) to some Highland Games (the Stone Mountain Games are not that far from you). There will be thousands of other guys there in kilts and you'll feel quite at home. Then, after you've done that a few times you'll start finding reasons to wear the kilt at other occaisons. It becomes quite natural very quickly. It soon becomes a point of pride. Just remember my Mother's advice, "If your going to dress like a Highlander, learn to sit like a lady." tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Colin 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 05:27 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (Shamalama @ 02-Feb-2005, 05:12 PM)
Anyone have any experience with Stillwater Kilts?

- I'm considering my FIRST kilt purchase
- I'm on a budget
- I'm still convincing my bride a kilt would be more than a novelty
- I'm still convincing myself I would have the courage to actually wear one

My tartan is VERY uncommon, so my first kilt will not be a custom job costing $800. $74 for either a Black Stewart, Royal Stewart, or Black Watch is much more in my (and my bride's) budget. That and a simple sporran would be the extent of my allowance for awhile.

Although my 19-year-old daughter has already said that she'd like to see me in a kilt when she gets married. I've already told her she can't get married for another 10 years, so I have a bit of time there.

I have never seen a kilt in my hometown, my job would never allow it, so I don't know (outside from wearing it at home) how I would "introduce" it to the world. People at work have already threatened that they will throw things at me if I show up in a kilt. People at church have said they'd pray for me - but do it from a distance.

Right now I'm on a diet for the sole purpose of getting one in a better size. I need all the assistance I can get to hold the laughs to a minimum, so I'm working on trimming the tummy. Right now I'm a 38" and I won't get a kilt over 36" (proper belly button level, not the low-on-hips stuff).

I just don't think I want a velcro or an elastic kilt. I've been looking hard at Sport Kilt (more selection, cheaper), but I want the leather straps & buckles and the pleat to the sett of Stillwater, even if they offer fewer selections.

Geez, I'm in a quandry. I admit it - I'm scared. Some of you pros need to help me out a bit here. I check X Marks The Scot occasionally, and am thankful for the opinions expressed there. Brother Tassiecelt, I admire your courage.

From all I have heard, a Stillwater kilt is great for the price, and a good first kilt. Do not expect it to measure up to a 16oz handsewn wool kilt, but it will be good to break into the world of kilting. Be advised that stillwater kilts are NOT made to measure, and the length may need to be hemmed, and it will likely not fit like a glove. Also, what I have heard on other forums, is to go for the standard model, not the econo. It is just that much better.

--------------------
Happily Celtic, Proudly Canadian
LUCEO NON URO
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Hi Shamalama,

I don't have any Stillwaters, I've heard some good, some not so good reports.
I would recommend Bear or USA Kilts.

I have several USA kilts and I'm really happy with them. The poly-viscose is a great material, easy to wash, look after etc.

As for courage, that grows.
When you feel the comfort and freedom kilts offer, you'll care less what others think.

A kilt is:
    1.Celtic
    2. A male garment
    3. comfortable
    4. Healthy

So what more reason do we need?
biggrin.gif

Contact Rocky at USAK, he has three or fours styles and prices, one will suit for sure.

Wait 10 years for marraige at 19??? that's a long time. unsure.gif
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

Well there is nothing nicer to see than a man in a kilt. I am trying to convince my husband to wear one.

He got many choices to pick from

The Black Watch
The US Army Kilt
The MacBean
The Chattan
and possible
The Anderson (that has to be researched to be sure about it)

He isn't very sure about that and I hope that I can convince him since it is his heritage. He thinks that it would turn to many heads and being in the Army it might cause some talk (and not in the nice way).

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I hope you succeed Monarch.

I personally don't believe that a clan association is necessary in order to wear a kilt any more than US citizenship is required to wear blue jeans.

There are "generic" tartans that anyone can wear such as Black Watch and Stewart Hunting, then national tartans such as Scottish national, Irish National etc.

Bums in kilts, that's what it's about smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]