Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Serious Business: Fishing, What is YOUR approach?
maisky 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 24 2003, 11:11 AM)
What's a Dupont lure, mighty sir?

Dynamite cap. biggrin.gif Fizzlers work best.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
  Posted: 25-Dec-2003, 06:53 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 24 2003, 12:44 PM)
Dynamite cap.  biggrin.gif  Fizzlers work best.

This is unsportsman-like, unsafe, illeagle and a bad idea. Even handling caps without proper training is a bad idea. It is also an effective way to get stubborn fish out of a fishing hole if all else fails and you are starving. angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

Along with my Fly Fishing, I love my Long Pole Fishing which I have 2 rods for. One of them is a 10 footer and the other is a 16 footer. Just the Rod, Line and myself, no reel at all.

Even though it is a little rough fishing a stream with a lot of brush and cover, there is nothing like the excitement of hooking a large fish on it, as a matter of fact, a one pound fish feels like you are trying to pull up the bottom of the stream.

I do use jigs, or live bait with these with a float (bobber). This technique would take you back to your childhood days. All I started with was a stick, line, hook and bobber.

Lots of fun!!!

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
  Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Dec 26 2003, 04:07 PM)
Along with my Fly Fishing, I love my Long Pole Fishing which I have 2 rods for. One of them is a 10 footer and the other is a 16 footer. Just the Rod, Line and myself, no reel at all.

Even though it is a little rough fishing a stream with a lot of brush and cover, there is nothing like the excitement of hooking a large fish on it, as a matter of fact, a one pound fish feels like you are trying to pull up the bottom of the stream.

I do use jigs, or live bait with these with a float (bobber). This technique would take you back to your childhood days. All I started with was a stick, line, hook and bobber.

Lots of fun!!!

The only times I use a fly rod and reel is when I am fishing a stream that is heavily overgrown with brush and willows. The long rod allows you to work the bait or lure right under the willows, where the big fishies live! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 11:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

HeHeHe, the Brat is back! I've tried the long rod and just got tangled. I'm so short that it didn't work well. I love to stand on the back of my boat, drifting down the river, flipping my fly line back at the bank where the big fish are hiding. The sun is warm and the river is quiet. Where'd summer go? Get rid of this blizzard and I'm set to go! biggrin.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
maisky 
  Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 27 2003, 12:44 AM)
HeHeHe, the Brat is back! I've tried the long rod and just got tangled. I'm so short that it didn't work well. I love to stand on the back of my boat, drifting down the river, flipping my fly line back at the bank where the big fish are hiding. The sun is warm and the river is quiet. Where'd summer go? Get rid of this blizzard and I'm set to go! biggrin.gif

Sounds like you've been into your "nerve medicine" again. biggrin.gif
Summer will come, you'll see. I like your new titile. Good choice. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 10:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I love the new title. Had some pretty good help coming up with it. Not sure if I like the 'Queen' part of if it should just be 'Lady' laugh.gif Queen king.gif has a better punch for the rest tho. lol.gif

We have about 2 feet of snow here and it's still snowing. I don't think summer will ever arrive. beer_mug.gif
High Plains Drifter 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Colorado

male

Those Dupont lures don't work well when on the ice, they have a tendency to get your feet wet and more. They are effective though.

I flyfish for trout and release all that I catch. I use a spinning rod for walleye, crappie, and perch and eat all that I can catch sometimes using lures, and sometimes with bait or combinations of both. I like to flyfish with popping bugs for blue gills and bass and keep some and release most.

--------------------
Be Mindful
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (High Plains Drifter @ Dec 27 2003, 01:23 PM)
Those Dupont lures don't work well when on the ice, they have a tendency to get your feet wet and more. They are effective though.

I flyfish for trout and release all that I catch. I use a spinning rod for walleye, crappie, and perch and eat all that I can catch sometimes using lures, and sometimes with bait or combinations of both. I like to flyfish with popping bugs for blue gills and bass and keep some and release most.

A nice eclectic collection of fish in your diet. I agree with keeping only to eat. Only someone from the Rockies would recognize the Dupont lure reference. You are right, floating fish would be hard to pick up from under the ice. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I thought catch and release with a succulant morsel now and then was the only way to go. Do people actually keep all they catch? How sinful of them lol.gif angel_not.gif
maisky 
  Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 28 2003, 11:47 AM)
I thought catch and release with a succulant morsel now and then was the only way to go. Do people actually keep all they catch? How sinful of them lol.gif angel_not.gif

Maybe they don't catch enough fish for it to matter? biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 01:46 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

When I do decide to keep any fish, it is enough for one meal. I do not any more than that because, once that one is eaten, I could go out to catch another. But over all I would say that I return 99% of all the fish I catch.

I take a camera with me now so that if I catch a real nice one, I can take a picture of it and mount the picture. I did have one fish mounted and it was a 6 1/2 Largemouth that I caught up in Michigan back in "75 aand decided that it was enough for me.
PMEmail Poster                
JaneyMae 
Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

That's how I fish. Try not to keep them unless one is a meal and that's only once in a while. I like to take pics of the big ones but I have so many pics now ...... well, anyway. I just love to fish lol.gif
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

I said I take my camera along. But in the last two years I have only taken one picture. And the only reason I had that picture taken was because I had my son with me who reminded me to take it.

Most of my pictures are in my head. I am so excited after catching one, I don't even think about the camera until I release the fish. Oh well, at least I know I am having fun. tongue.gif

Right now I am reading two fishing books along with my "Return of the King". They are:
"Quill Gordon" by John McDonald - this is a book on the History of Fly Fishing.
and
"A treatyse of fysshynge wyth an Angle" by Dame Juliana Berners edited by Wynken de Worde in 1496. This is very slow and difficult reading, but I love the challenge of it as you can tell by just the title of the book. There are some words in it that takes a couple of minutes to try to figure out what they are. unsure.gif

I now have my Fly tying bench beside my computer as a constant reminder to start tying again and I think I will start up again today. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
  Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

I admire your ambition, Sir Richard. I limit myself to "fly swatting". laugh.gif
I am definitely looking forward to fishing this next summer. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]