Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Argh, It's The Little Drummer Boy, Why the Little Drummer Boy is WRONG!!!
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

I just heard Charlie Zahn's rendition of "The Little Drummer Boy." And while I like Charlie and his music, I have to say that I am HORRIBLY disappointed that he even did it in the first place.

Basically, I think the Little Drummer Boy is just plain wrong. It never happened. Of course it's Christmas carol nonsense, but regardless of your personal views on the birth of Jesus, I think everyone would agree with me that the idea behind the song is about as realistic is the scene from "Independence Day" where they loaded a computer virus onto the alien ship with a souped-up Macintosh.

Below is a column I wrote about the topic a couple of years ago, and later reprinted. I'll republish it in a week, in keeping with my holiday curmudgeonly tradition. xmas.gif

Erik Deckers

I Don't Believe In The Little Drummer Boy
Erik Deckers
Laughing Stalk Syndicate
Copyright 2003

Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year. My birthday, my anniversary, and any other occasion where someone gives me presents are also big favorites.

To get into the Christmas spirit, I enjoy listening to Christmas music, so I usually hit the department stores around August to hear "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." It's a wonder most store clerks don't go postal on their customers by mid-November.

I love the classics -- "Jingle Bells," "Silent Night" or the Sex Pistols' "Have Yourself a Merry $%@&! Christmas." But the rest of the songs are awful, and I chase off carolers with a pitchfork whenever I hear them.

One of the most annoying Christmas songs ever is Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus is Coming To Town." It's 20 minutes long, and the last nineteen-and-a-half minutes are nothing but Bruce singing "Santa Claus is coming to town" over and over. And over. By the time Bruce has finished with his Yuletide droning, Santa has left town and is already slamming Upside-Down Margaritas with the elves at home.

But that's nothing compared to the worst Christmas song ever; the song that makes me want to sleep straight to Easter: "The Little Drummer Boy." Not only do they sing the same thing over and over -- pa-rum pum pum pum -- but the song isn't that believable.

I realize songs about a fat guy sliding effortlessly down a chimney, and a flying reindeer with a halogen nose aren't so believable, but I've seen the reindeer myself.

First of all, drums do not go "pa-rum pum pum pum." As any parent of a child with a toy drum knows, a drum is a loud percussive instrument. They do not make pleasant little melodies sung by children's choirs. They make headaches. Drums go "KA-WHAM WHAP WHAP WHAP!"

In other words, when the Little Drummer Boy asks Mary if he could play a song for the Baby Jesus -- pa-rum pum pum pum -- no one says, "Wait a minute! That kid is just going to pound a drum at Him!" I agree that giving the gift of music is a very noble sentiment, unless you really wanted that big screen high-definition TV instead. After all, it's the thought that counts. But when your newborn baby has just gone to sleep after 6 hours of constant screaming because his bedding is made of straw, do you really want someone going "ka-wham whap whap whap!" at him?

What about Mary? What did she do during this time? According to the song, she just nodded -- pa-rum pum pum pum -- listened attentively, and smiled quietly to herself. Not being a mother myself, I can't speak for other mothers. But I'd wager your Christmas gifts that if you've been riding on a donkey for several days while carrying a huge watermelon in your belly, and then spent the last 36 hours in labor, you wouldn't want some snot-nosed kid showing up and to beat a drum at you. The song would be more accurate if it said "Mary leapt off her stool and chased the little brat away, pa-rum pum pum pum. "

And what about the ox and lambs that kept time -- pa-rum pum pum pum? Not likely. Everyone knows that oxen are tone deaf and lambs don't have a well-developed sense of rhythm. If they said horses and llamas, I would have believed it.

"Then He smiled at me" (pa-rum pum pum pum). I have an easier time believing the ox and lambs put on top hats and sang "Puttin' On the Ritz." How would you feel if you had just been removed from a nice warm womb and stuck in a bed of itchy, smelly straw when some little jerk starts beating a drum at you? Here's a test. Go find a newborn baby and start pa-rum pum pum pumming on a pot with a couple of wooden spoons. If he smiles at something like that, he's colicky.

I'm all for the magic and wonder of Christmas. But I know mothers. And I know babies. And I know that mothers don't want anyone pounding drums around with their babies.

Gift of music or not, beating on a goatskin stretched over a hollow log is not something a new mother wants to deal with. Give her something useful, like a set of earplugs or a live-in nanny.
xmas.gif

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

I do agree. I do have to say I like most of the songs. I never thought about the drum part. I do agree.
thumbs_up.gif note.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 07:12 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

Well, I was going to request "The Little Drummer Boy" by Charlie Zahm and dedicate it to Brother Deckers, because he "loves it so" but unfortunately requests are disabled. But, after all, it's the thought that counts! laugh.gif

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (MacEoghainn @ 15-Dec-2004, 06:12 PM)
Well, I was going to request "The Little Drummer Boy" by Charlie Zahm and dedicate it to Brother Deckers, because he "loves it so" but unfortunately requests are disabled. But, after all, it's the thought that counts!  laugh.gif

FUNNY! laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,559 Gold!

Erik, maybe we can bribe the reindeer to run over the drummer boy instead of grandma? Kill two birds with one stone so to speak. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
susieq76 
Posted: 16-Dec-2004, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Can they take out the guy who wrote "Christmas Shoes" while their at it?? What kind of sick person would write such a depressing song for Christmas? It takes on new meaning this year, since my aunt just died of cancer, leaving my 11 year old cousin behind. I cannot imagine him having to listen to that song. People like that, IMHO, should be shot.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMMy Photo Album               
maisky 
Posted: 16-Dec-2004, 08:50 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

WOW!! What a blood-thirsty bunch we have here!! And at Christmas, at that!!! tongue.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 16-Dec-2004, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (susieq76 @ 16-Dec-2004, 07:45 AM)
What kind of sick person would write such a depressing song for Christmas?

A coutnry singer? wink.gif The just can't help but depress people, even at the happiest time of year.

Anyway, Excellent job with the writing man. But you just redefined the term 'anal retentive'. unsure.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 16-Dec-2004, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Oh no The Little Drummer Boy is on. Plug your ears!!!! biggrin.gifj-->dj.gif Did someone request this for deckers? xmas.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Randy 
Posted: 16-Dec-2004, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

Realm: Rochester, NY

male

Little Drummer Boy has been my favorite Christmas song since I was a kid. If you want to heard the bar none best version of it you need to hear Tori Amos sing it. Unfortunately the CD it is on is a live one and there is a stupid girl that yells something like "I love you Tori" in a pause in the middle of the song. It drives me crazy every time I hear it.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 19-Dec-2004, 09:08 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

OH NO I HEARD LITTLE DRUMMER BOY AGAIN TODAY ON CELTIC RADIO!

I really don't mind it but I know deckers hates it! smile.gif so I thought I would let him know it was on again. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 20-Dec-2004, 07:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (Rindy1202 @ 19-Dec-2004, 10:08 PM)

I really don't mind it but I know deckers hates it! smile.gif so I thought I would let him know it was on again. laugh.gif

You're killin' me over here, Mary. frusty.gif

But at least you're thinking of me. laugh.gif

Erik
Rindy 
Posted: 20-Dec-2004, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (deckers @ 20-Dec-2004, 06:32 AM)
QUOTE (Rindy1202 @ 19-Dec-2004, 10:08 PM)

You're killin' me over here, Mary. frusty.gif

But at least you're thinking of me. laugh.gif

Erik

Yes I will think of you everytime I hear that song. It will never be the same now. Hope you have a Merry Christmas if I don't speak with you before then. smile.gif

Slainte
Rindy
PMEmail Poster               
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 21-Dec-2004, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Does anyone remember the scene from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio play (or even the book) where Ford and Arthur are forced to listen to Vogon poetry as a form of torture?

I'm having the same experience as I listen to Charlie Zahm sing the bane of my Christmas season.

CURSE YOU PAUL MACARTHUR AND YOUR AUTOMATED PLAYLISTS! WHY DO YOU TORTURE ME SO?!?!?! wink.gif

Erik
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 21-Dec-2004, 09:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,559 Gold!

QUOTE (deckers @ 21-Dec-2004, 09:16 AM)
WHY DO YOU TORTURE ME SO?!?!?! wink.gif

Erik

Just for the fun of it? rolleyes.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]