Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> All Things Lawn Care, Fertilizer, Weed Control, Mowing, etc.
Bookmark and Share
McRoach 
Posted: 03-Apr-2009, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

>>*<<

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Desert Highlands, USA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #6
2,147,483,647 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

I have seen some posts here and there mentioning a bit about lawn care but figured I would start a topic solely to discuss it.

When I was younger I did a little bit of work for a lawn care company and picked up a few things but there is always more to learn and discuss.

With Spring on the way or here depending on where you live, pre-emergent weed control is something that many home owners are encouraged to use once or twice every spring to help stop crabgrass and spurge from coming up later in the summer.

It has been my personal experience that the store bought weed and feed bags with pre-emergent included are moderately effective but that a dry or granular treatment is not quite as effective as a wet or liquid one. As it has been explained to me a liquid treatments allows more product to get to where the pre-emergent does the most good, the edges! With granular applications granules fall off the side of the lawn but don't "stick" to the edge and therefor a true barrier is not made to stop these summer weeds from popping up.

I have also been told that there are 100% organic forms of pre-emergent available that are nearly as effective as the chemical ones that every garden center has on it's shelves in spring but have never really seen much about them.

What does everyone else use, dry or liquid? Any other helpful ways to stop the crabgrass without having to pull it all spring or xeroscape the yard to avoid it?

--------------------
"May those who love us, love us. And those who hate us, may God turn their hearts. And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping."
-Celtic Proverbs

Grateful am I to have a sword in which to defend myself at all times, blessed am I for the days I need not use it.

Daylight Saving Time countdown banner
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
flora 
Posted: 06-Apr-2009, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Good afternoon, McRoach.

Did you know there is a Dr. Roach in Monsters Vs. Aliens? tongue.gif Sorry couldn't resist!

I am far from being a Home and Garden exhibit but when I do use it, I use the dry. But I have to be really desperate as I am trying to be more "green". I seem to have more time than money right now so as part of my therapy biggrin.gif I spend as much time as possible outside using my two hands. We did make a jump from St. Augustine to Bahia because the former just took to much water and chemical. Many of the new housing developments are not allowing St. Augustine because of the water maintenance.

I have heard also that it can be spread through professional lawn maintenance mowers. Having them rinse the mowers before your yard is a good idea.

Last year with all the tropical storms we experienced we had alot of dollar weed grow. Again it is better to pull than try chemical.

Have you started mowing yet in your area?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 06-Apr-2009, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I have used commercial applicators for 5 years. I cancelled Chem Lawn because they killed my Harry Lauder Walking Stick Bushes (2) and some roses. The company that replaced them was to do 3 applications only and they squeezed in 5. I am looking for their replacement now. I noticed yesterday that my lawn is the greenest in the neighborhood and needs mowed already.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
McRoach 
Posted: 07-Apr-2009, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

>>*<<

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Desert Highlands, USA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #6
2,147,483,647 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

QUOTE (flora @ 06-Apr-2009, 04:01 PM)
Did you know there is a Dr. Roach in Monsters Vs. Aliens? tongue.gif Sorry couldn't resist!

I am far from being a Home and Garden exhibit but when I do use it, I use the dry. But I have to be really desperate as I am trying to be more "green". I seem to have more time than money right now so as part of my therapy biggrin.gif I spend as much time as possible outside using my two hands. We did make a jump from St. Augustine to Bahia because the former just took to much water and chemical. Many of the new housing developments are not allowing St. Augustine because of the water maintenance.

I have heard also that it can be spread through professional lawn maintenance mowers. Having them rinse the mowers before your yard is a good idea.

Last year with all the tropical storms we experienced we had alot of dollar weed grow. Again it is better to pull than try chemical.

Have you started mowing yet in your area?

Flora

No worries on the tease flora, and no I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure I will once I get a chance.

I will probably have to do my first mowing by the end of the week and my lawn is one of the greenest on the block as well.

As far St. Augustine and Bahia don't do so well in transition zone 7 (I think that's where I am at maybe 6) but I do have some bermuda grass mixed in with my Kentucky Blue and it is a pain to work with, last to green up in spring and first to go dormant in winter, I mow on my tallest setting all year to help mask over it and favor the Kentucky blue to out grow it.

I am not a big fan of pulling weeds, I get enough of those in my garden and barely make time to get those out. I usually have a good well rounded chemical weed control done twice in the spring and I make certain it stays on the lawn and not the shrubs. I have found that having the right amount of Nitrogen put down each time I fertilize does wonders for thickening up the turf and allows me to use less chemical weed control through out most of the year.

I have about 4 months of cold winter weather where I live so usually 5 treatments a year seems to do the trick for my lawn, I am sure that I could get by with 3 because I have done it in the past but the turf does start to weaken and lose vigor and then the weeds are more of an issue.

I am surprised that Chem lawn didn't replace your bushes or give you some kind of credit Patch. I had an issue like that once with a rose bush and they gave a $50 for it. Best part was the rose bush lived and just needed to be trimmed on one side.

I will be putting down a liquid pre-emergent next week to stop the summer annual weeds and I have read the best time is when the forsythia bushes start blooming.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt