Posted: 08-May-2006, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (Shadows @ 05-May-2006, 03:46 PM)
I wrote this letter to my representitivs after the Columbine incident several years ago. It states my opinion.

Dear esteemed senator:
I write this letter to speak my mind. I am appalled at the violence that is happening in our nations schools. I question the direction that the youth of our country are taking. I also am appalled that the people of this great country can stand still for more gun laws. Our right to bear arms is being eroded by these laws. How can anyone stand for a national registration of all firearms ( this lets the government know just where to go to collect weapons if it feels threatened; I think that we should view Bosnia and other areas that have had upheavals and killings for the sake of a country as an example of what could happen if these rights are gone). I am the father of 6 children four of which are in their teens. They have been taught respect for life and the safe handling of fire arms.
I question more the violence on the television ( where someone dead one night is back the next) and I also want to know how many of these kids that are committing this violence have their own T.V.s and play violent games on their Nintendo's and play stations!? Where is the control here!!! How many of these kids do not have parents at home when they need them to be?
How many were raised by a day care provider and not their own parents. I do not want to hear the excuse that it takes two incomes to live today; my wife and I have raised 6 kids with just me working until the last 4 years and my oldest just graduated college this spring. I am not rich or upper class in fact I earn a lower middle class income. YOU JUST HAVE TO SET YOUR PRIORITIES; and OUR CHILDREN SHOULD BE 1ST!!! We do not eat out but maybe twice a year, we do not go to the movies once a month, we do not drive a new car every 3 years; but we are there when our kids need us !
Let us set up a system where parents can and should be responsible for their own. Not a system where no one is responsible. If this means changing lifestyles, let us make it easier to do. If this means one parent staying at home to raise the kids, make it easier. These are the things that have changed from the generations of the past. Make it illegal to put parent responsibility on the schools and daycare providers. Make it illegal to publish violent games, make it illegal for people not to take responsibility for themselves and their own!!!!
BUT
Do not make it illegal or difficult for me to own, use, teach my children to use or purchase the only thing that can and has protected this great country of ours from tyranny and given us the liberty we so much pride ourselves on!
I take a saying from the past " If it is a crime to own firearms, then only criminals will own them.
Let us learn from the past and make the necessary adjustments to our life styles to raise caring and responsible kids and adults not more limiting and freedom robbing laws.
I hope and wish that you will share this letter with those that make these laws and with the nation.

Make it illegal to put parent responsibility on the schools and daycare providers. Make it illegal to publish violent games, make it illegal for people not to take responsibility for themselves and their own!!!!

I copied this out of your letter, Shadows, after quoting it.

If I misunderstood this line, let me know. However, I think it's pretty clear that it asks for the publishing of violent games, I am assuming video games, to be made illegal. This was stated in the same sentence as asking for it to be made illegal for people not to take responsibility for themselves and their own.

Please explain how I misunderstood this.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
May those who love us love us
And those who don't love us
May God turn their hearts,
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 08-May-2006, 04:53 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

You , as most people do, take one phrase from a whole concept out of context and make it the issue.
I suggest you again read the whole letter.
If it is over your head then so be it, but my arguments are sound.
The absurity of more gun laws is equal to the unlikely hood such legalities mentioned being enacted.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 09-May-2006, 08:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,115 Gold!

Noticed this Gaelic proverb on the site today and thought it said it all very well.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 09-May-2006, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Since you don't choose to answer me directly and instead have decided to call me an idiot and laugh in my face I'll drop the issue. Whether this is simply due to a lack of ideas on the issue or lack of respect for my opinions, I don't know.

It's obvious to me that the idea of video game censorship isn't an issue taken seriously here.
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 09-May-2006, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

CC, why should video game censorship by taken seriously here if it is not taken seriously by congress? That pesky old first amendment tends to get in the way and the industry contributes so much money in taxes and bribes (aka "Campaign Contributions") that the topic is unlikely to ever generate much serious consideration.

It might worth a separate thread if you want to discuss it, though.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 09-May-2006, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

I belive that the responsibility for the video games lies with the PARENTS. If they did not let the kids buy them or play them this would not be an issue. But Billy wants it and whines for it and the dumb-ass parents cave in. THAT is the biggest problem with most kids these days, no one ever told them NO! before. Well guess what kiddies, it's not about what YOU want so shut up and get over it!

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 10-May-2006, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

QUOTE (Dogshirt @ 09-May-2006, 08:40 PM)
I belive that the responsibility for the video games lies with the PARENTS. If they did not let the kids buy them or play them this would not be an issue. But Billy wants it and whines for it and the dumb-ass parents cave in. THAT is the biggest problem with most kids these days, no one ever told them NO! before. Well guess what kiddies, it's not about what YOU want so shut up and get over it!

beer_mug.gif

That's how it works in my house. thumbs_up.gif And my kids respect me enough (at the moment) to not play those games at someone else's house either. I allow them to play some teen games (they're 8 and 9), but not until I check them out first! So until a teen game gets put on my "ok" list, they do NOT play it anywhere. They'll even come home from a friend's house and say, "Johnny has such and such game. It's a teen-rated game, can we play it?" I either find someone who has it and I go check it out personally, or I rent it and check it out myself before I allow it. But then again, I'm a parent that cares and keeps my nose ALL UP in my kids' business! laugh.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 11-May-2006, 07:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

Not to change the subject, getting away from video game violence, do everyone here remember the movie from the 1970s, "Death Wish" with Charles Bronson? I think of that movie and think, did he really do anything illegal? No in sequel movies ti got stupid but in the original, he was right on the money. The only thing he did wrong was run away.

Now here's something ironic, here in Florida, the guy who's responsible for issueing concelled weapon permits name is Charles Bronson.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 15-May-2006, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Gun control, yes. The only reasons I need are the overwhelming statistics of violent gun crimes in Canada, or should I say the lack thereof. Gun registry? Hell no. It's a huge waste of time and taxpayers money, that has no positive effect on those statistics I pointed at before. The only people restricted and restrained by a registry are the law abiding citizens.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 15-May-2006, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 15-May-2006, 01:45 PM)
Gun control, yes. The only reasons I need are the overwhelming statistics of violent gun crimes in Canada, or should I say the lack thereof. Gun registry? Hell no. It's a huge waste of time and taxpayers money, that has no positive effect on those statistics I pointed at before. The only people restricted and restrained by a registry are the law abiding citizens.

I would say that the police should certainly be considered in a lack of violent crime in Canada Adam (I haven't seen the statistics) But I have seen Cops - the Canadian version and they aren't near as nice to criminals up there smile.gif Tell it to the Crown!

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
oldraven 
Posted: 19-May-2006, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Whatever works, right. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 19-May-2006, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 15-May-2006, 01:45 PM)

Hey Raven.
Glad to hear from you again. You hit it right on taget Adam. Controling guns never controls the criminals from obtaining weapons. Just look at history. Controling guns are not to prevent crime but for political control.
PMEmail Poster                
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 19-May-2006, 09:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 19-May-2006, 10:10 AM)
Whatever works, right. wink.gif

By the way, welcome back home to the "New Nation". I'll be up in Spencers Island at the end of August until mid September. The wife and the little one as well as myself are looking forward to it.
PMEmail Poster                
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 04-Jun-2006, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Just something I was thinking of. If you carry a gun, I say God forbid I EVER have to use it. But God forbid I'm ever in a sitituation where I needed it and didn't have it. Just a thought that I live by. But the far left seem to think anyone who owns a Gun is "a red neck" "a hill billy" "a barbarian" "a facias" However if these morons did their research they'll find that they are the ones for outlawing guns and that in and of itself is fascias. So WHO is really the fascias? Anyway I guess being a Celt is barbian enough so I take that title with honor.
PMEmail Poster                
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 05-Jun-2006, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

My thing about guns is I don't trust people to own them. I'm sure everyone on here is responsible with their guns, but I just don't trust the general public to use a gun wisely.

Heck, cops shoot people they shoudln't and it gets in the news all the time. So people who are trined specifically to carry weapons in dnagerous situations misuse guns. I'm not saying it happens alot, nor even enough to warrant gun control. But I am saying I don't trust joe blow off the street to handle a firearm, concealed or otherwise, responsibly.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]