Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
199,081 Gold!

Background: The name MacNaughton comes from the Pictish Nechton meaning "the pure one". Clan Nechtan were established in Strathtay in the 12th century, probably transferred there from Moray by Malcolm IV, but their possessions extended over the upper part of Loch Awe, Glenarn, Glenshira and Loch Fyne. Gilchrist MacNaughton was granted the castle and island of Fraoch Eilean in Loch Awe by Alexander III in 1267. In addition, Gilchrist also held Dunderave on Loch Fyne and the castle of Dubh Loch in Glenshira. As the MacNaughtons were allied to the MacDougalls of Lorne, their chief Donald MacNaughton opposed Robert the Bruce (as did the Comyns in the north). On Robert becoming King, the MacNaughtons lost many of their lands in Argyll to the Campbells. However Donald's son, Duncan, loyally supported King David II, who rewarded his son Alexander with lands in the Isle of Lewis.

Variations: Ayson, Bissett, Easson, Ferguson, Henderson, Hendrie, Hendry, Henerdie, Henerdy, Henrie, Henry, Kendrich, Kendrick, Kinrick, MacAire, MacAirey, MacAirie, MacAiry, MacAnir, MacAry, MacAys, MacBrayn, MacBrayne, MacBreen, MacBrine, MacBrinn, MacCachren, MacCarhy, MacCarie, MacCarken, MacCarrie, MacCarry, MacCavic, MacCavick, MacCeol, MacClackuon, MacCoal, MacColl, MacCrackan, MacCrackans, MacCracken, MacCracken, MacCrackens, MacCrackin, MacCrackin, MacCrackins, MacCracktin, MacCracktine, MacCraken, MacCratic, MacCratick, MacCrocken, MacCrocklin, MacEal, MacEel, MacFergusse, MacGrachin, MacGrattan, MacGratten, MacGrattin, MacGreachain, MacGreachan, MacHanvichar, MacHarrie, MacHarry, MacHendrie, MacHendry, MacHenrie, MacHenry, MacImery, MacImmery, MacInerie, MacInery, MacInrye, MacIntaylor, MacInterrie, MacInterry, MacIntrye, MacKay, MacKendrich, MacKendrick, MacKendricks, MacKenerick, MacKenerie, MacKenery, MacKindrick, MacKindricks, MacKinrick, MacKnatt, MacKneight, MacKnigh, MacKnight, MacKnot, MacKracherne, MacMath, MacMitt, MacNac, MacNachdan, MacNachtan, MacNachten, MacNachton, MacNack, MacNagen, MacNaghtan, MacNaghten, MacNaghtin, MacNaight, MacNair, MacNairy, MacNamell, MacNammill, MacNarie, MacNary, MacNatt, MacNattie, MacNatton, MacNatty, MacNauchton, MacNaugh, MacNaught, MacNaughtan, MacNaughten, MacNaughton, MacNayer, MacNayre, MacNear, MacNeid, MacNeight, MacNeir, MacNerie, MacNery, MacNet, MacNete, MacNett, MacNette, MacNetten, MacNetton, MacNeur, MacNevens, MacNevin, MacNevins, MacNight, MacNitt, MacNivan, MacNivans, MacNiven, MacNorton, MacNott, MacNought, MacNoughtan, MacNoughton, MacNoyer, MacNuir, MacNut, MacNutt, MacNuyer, MacPortland, MacQuaig, MacQuake, MacQuaker, MacRac, MacRack, MacRacken, MacRackin, MacRagan, MacRaggan, MacReachain, MacReachan, MacRuck, MacRucke, MacVicar, MacVickar, MacVickars, MacVicker, MacVickers, MacVig, MacVige, MacVrine, MacVryne, MacWaughton, MacYole, MacYoll, Manaugh, Mannice, Mannis, Mannise, Nachtan, Nachten, Nactan, Nacten, Naghton, Natton, Naughten, Naughtie, Naughton, Naughty, Nechtan, Nechten, Nectan, Necten, Nevin, Nevins, Nevinson, Niven, Nivens, Nivenson, Nought, Nucater, Nucator, Nutt, Porter, Weir.

More Info: http://heraldry.celticradio.net/search.php?id=164

Discussion of this family is welcomed.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteRead My Blog View My Photographs               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 09-Jun-2008, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

Has anyone of this clan name participated in the Family Tree DNA Project?
I just recieved my marker 37 test kit thru my family sept name of McNutt.

USN,
aka Fred McNutt, see my profile for all of my grandfathers back to 1690.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]