Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> "The MATURE People's Thread", Not too young and not over the hill yet!
Harlot 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

Hows about Sky King, Fury and Circus Boy? Saturday mornings we had to hurry and help my dad clean the house before we could watch TV. Can't imagine just how clean we got it,we were only 5 or 6 years old.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I remember Sky King and Fury but not Circus unless it was the one I was talking about. Mine were at least 12 years earlier than your memories.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 08:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Patch,

Circus Boy had a very young Micky Dolenz in it. One of the Monkee's you do remember that band. I do remember Howdy Doody show. Davey Crockett and one My Friend Flicka.
Patch 
Posted: 10-Apr-2009, 07:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I remember everything but circus boy, I wonder why that is. I will have to check with my siblings.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
InRi 
Posted: 10-Apr-2009, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Saxons

ZodiacVine

Realm: Arbing, Upper Austria

male

Does somebody know this yet? wink.gif
As I was a young boy I watched this with great ardor.... Every week a sequal at West German TV... Shoot!, that's long ago...

Ingo

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Yes, I was never a big fan of Star Trek though. When it came out I was busy with too many other things. Starting a business, working a job and raising two young kids.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Patch;

I don't remember Circus Boy either. I do remember Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers with Buster Crabbe.

Camac

Patch 
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

We both grew up when the radio was our indoor entertainment. Dad limited the amount of radio we could listen too as it was "bad for us." I was about 7 when I saved enough money to buy a crystal radio kit. I built it in a cigar box. I managed a set of head phones from I know not where and low and behold it worked. I spent many nights awake in bed listening to the one station I could get. It was all adult fare at that time of the evening and that is probably why I developed an interest in things that didn't concern other kids my age.

I haven't thought about crystal radios in half a century.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Patch; I never had a crystal set but I was allowed to listen to the Radio between
4:00pm and 5:00pm during the week and until 7:pm on weekends. Something we had in Canada that I don't think you had in the States was up until the early 50s' you had to have a license to own a Radio. That was mainly because the radio was mostly C.B.C and since they were public radio they were subsidised by the Gov. and the license fee. AM Radio and the vaccuum tube that made it possible were invented here in Toronto by a man named Rodger.

Camac

Patch 
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I remember that our radio was a wooden table model. My Aunt had a floor model radio with lots of buttons and dials. As I recall ours was hard to tune in but once we had it the sound was good. My wife's grandfather was an engineer who worked with radio transmissions. He was also part of the development team that created the "proximity fuse" that made dropping the Atomic bomb possible. I do not remember what our signal was here but if we would have had to pay for it Dad wouldn't have! I didn't ever take the back off of the radio but I know there were lights you could see through the back panel. I saw one for sale a few weeks ago and thought about it but at $160.00 it was just something else I didn't need.

I go into antique stores now and see things we used in my youth.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Harlot @ 09-Apr-2009, 08:16 PM)
Hows about Sky King, Fury and Circus Boy? Saturday mornings we had to hurry and help my dad clean the house before we could watch TV. Can't imagine just how clean we got it,we were only 5 or 6 years old.

Those were the ages of my children when I became their sole caretaker. We had those rules too. The years had their trying moments but I would not trade them for anything on this earth or in the afterlife.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 08:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

When my children were old enough to help clean we had what I called" Music Appreciation". This is where they took turns choosing what kind of music we had to listen to while cleaning. Micheal Jackson's Thriller was the one my daughter would listen to all the time. My son would just pull out a album didn't matter what it was. By the time the album (both sides) done the place was clean.

Camac and Patch I don't remember listening to radio shows, I guess we had always had a TV.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 08:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,273 Gold!

I don't remember the radio serials. The kids weren't allowed to operate the radio and my parents probably wouldn't "waste time" listening to such. I do remember mom listening to Arthur Godfrey while she did the ironing (back in the days before permanent press). My brother had a crystal set, but he was eight years older than me and wouldn't let me touch it.

My grandparents had a hand crank record player. The records were about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. We got our first record player in 1957 for the family Christmas present. (Mom started back to teaching that year so we could afford a little extra, though not much. Also she won $500.00 in a drawing at the Belks store for Christmas. Big money in those days.) Talk about wonderment. Dad had gotten two records: Oklahoma and a Fred Waring Christmas albumn. We listened to those over and over til the grooves wore out. I still have those two records today even though they are totally unplayable.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
Patch 
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I remember laying on the floor in front of the radio with my eyes closed imagining every scene.

We got TV about 1955 though my relatives had it much sooner. I remember going to get it with dad and was it ever heavy. I carried it and was afraid if I dropped it we would never get another. A lot of the old radio shows had moved to TV but there were also many new ones. After everyone had their chores and homework done we could watch two hours. I often did homework for my siblings so we could watch sooner. (I was the oldest.)

It was not long till the novelty wore off and the rules relaxed a bit.

Ahhh the memories.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
togo 
Posted: 24-Apr-2009, 06:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Massachusetts

male

Just got this email the other day I thought you might find funny, interesting.
It was a piece actually done by Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes about women over 40.

"As I grow in age, I value women over 40 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why:

A woman over 40 will never wake you in the middle of the night and ask, 'What are you thinking?' She doesn't care what you think.

If a woman over 40 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do, and it's usually more interesting.

Women over 40 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it.

Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it's like to be unappreciated.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 40.

Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 40 is far sexier than her younger counterpart.

Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off if you are a jerk, if you are acting like one. You don't ever have to wonder where you stand with her.

Yes, we praise women over 40 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 40, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies, I apologize.

For all those men who say, 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?', here's an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage!"
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]