Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fear Of The Blank Page - Writer's Block, Etc., anyone got stories to share?
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

female

'Gettin'', that is one powerful story you have there. I believe a lot of people would benefit from reading how you and your daughter have come through such challenges in your lives. Just reading what you wrote here makes realize that how we regard our sitiations makes all the difference in the world as to how the story turns out in the end!

Thank you for sharing with us.

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
gettin-away 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Flushing Michigan USA

male

Siusaidh

Thank you for your support. As my daughter was growing my only thoughts were to see tomorrow and some times that seemed a long way away, as she reached high school I stepped back and saw the most incredible thing. People who came in contact with us were changed. My daughter has an almost magical way about her. In her attempts to live a "normal" life she has often achieved the impossible. Her goal now is to teach in a special education classroom. She wants to show others kids with disabilities that they can achieve their dreams.

Now to show off a little, here are a group of pictures. The first one Mandy is just days old and weighs less than two pounds. Second picture she is around 2 1/2 years old and has just started to sit up on her own. The last two are crowns she has won. The second was the 1999 Homecoming Queen and the first was for 2001 Miss Hibernia.

Sorry for bragging a little. I tend to be the proud papa whenever I can rolleyes.gif .

gettin-away

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
Paradox...Dirty socks...Glacier Rocks...Goldilocks

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

It makes me feel good to know how others with CP have done in life, and I was fortunate enough (and still am) to have both parents. CP is something that your daughter (evidentily) and I, have learned to live with, and in doing so have overcome in our own way. I know that whenever I see someone else around who has CP as part of their life, I tend to count my blessings. Based on the pictures, and the tone in your posts, it appears that you have both overcome the hurdles brought on you in life.

I know, that for me, the cerebral palsy has become a non issue in my life now. It's still there, always will be, and it does still effect me. Ony time I even notice it anymore though is when I see video footage of myself walking (which I can now do unaided since surgery in 1988). I can now do anything I want to, and after my experience as a chile, I don't want any special treatment from anyone (and refuse to get a handicapped sticker for my car, which I probably could get). Does your daughter share the same perspective?

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
gettin-away 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Aaediwen

Oh Yes, my daughter shares your perspective on life. Mandy has always tried to downplay her CP, but sometimes it hits her hard too. Living where we do in Michigan the changes in the weather will make her stiff movements more pronounced and her balance in turn gets worse. She tells me she doesn't own a pair of jeans with both knees intact. But then she says "hey, that's the style." Though she doesn't slow down around her friends I will sometimes get a late night call from her (she's at college) telling me she is so sore and stiff she can hardly move. She just needs to talk to someone she knows will understands.
I also have an older brother who is hydrocephalic and he lives with the problems of CP that is more severe than Mandy. As she has watched him grow older and become weaker she fears for her future. She knows what she has seen him going through probably won't be an issue to her, she also see's how much worse it could have been for her. This as given her an insight that keeps her focused on her future.
I laughed about your comment on the handicapped sticker for the car. Mandy refuses to even consider one. She figures she is just as capable as the next person. This has become a pet peeve of mine as I work for the Post Office and we have a customer that thinks just because he got one he can park anywhere. Even in the fire lanes in front of local stores. I tend to get a little too vocal on his parking habits.
Was there a factor that caused your CP? With Mandy she was born three months premature and her mother was diabetic. What type of surgery did you have? Mandy has had two eye surgeries and one on her left hamstring to make it stretch longer. What do you do for a living? In another year Mandy will become a teacher. That's what her mother set out to be 24 years ago.
When Mandy was young I was told she could never live on her own, seeing her do that now is both a blessing and a curse. I prepared my life to always be there to care for her and now she has gone and left me behind. Seems like yesterday I was carrying her everywhere we went and now I look around and she is gone. My life has changed direction so many times I'm not sure where I'm headed. But I do know she will be everything she wants to be.

gettin-away
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

gettin-away! I would strongly encourage you to write and try to publish your story. Your story could help and encourage many other parents and children with CP. And your manner in which you write is very compelling as well. You, yourself have been though a lot as well.

Thank you for bragging a bit and showing off your precious gem. She has indeed come a long ways and is a very beautiful girl and sounds like she has a beautiful spirit as well. smile.gif
gettin-away 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 10:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

CelticRose

Thank you for the kind words. The year Mandy was crowned Homecoming Queen the hospital where she was born created a large bulletin board in her honor. I have a picture of her hanging at my counter at the post office, for over two years people would see this picture and ask me if she is the girl from the hospital. I've been told that parents will stand at this bulletin board while tests or procedures are being done on their babies. My Mandy has become their source of strength.

I see so much of her mother's spirit and beauty in her that at times it's almost frightening. There has been many times when she has done or said something that I know has come straight from her mother. Recently as I was leaving her college dorm room I looked back and told her I could see her mother in her. The smile on her face couldn't have been any bigger or brighter. I know who my daughters guardian angel is.....no question about it.

She told me on her first day doing field work at a local high school she was mistaken for a new student. (At 5' 2'' and barely 90 pounds she is no bigger then the students.) After telling the class she was learning to be a teacher the kids in this class said "but....you're like us." She was able to win their admiration right from the first. She wants so much to be a good role model for these students. I'm a little biased, but I think she's doing a grand job.

Thanks again to all for the kind words.
gettin-away
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 11:40 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Gettin-away! You know what I think would be neat? Is if you started a thread in the discussion forum about "overcoming obstacles". And you can share your story there and maybe it would help others to share their stories as well, such as Aaediwen has done already. That way we all can be encouraged by your story and others. I have noticed that people here in this community tend to be pretty honest with things about their feelings and life. Just a thought! wink.gif smile.gif
gettin-away 
Posted: 22-Jan-2004, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

CelticRose wrote
Gettin-away! You know what I think would be neat? Is if you started a thread in the discussion forum about "overcoming obstacles". And you can share your story there and maybe it would help others to share their stories as well, such as Aaediwen has done already. That way we all can be encouraged by your story and others. I have noticed that people here in this community tend to be pretty honest with things about their feelings and life. Just a thought!  wink.gif  smile.gif

I think I will take you up on this idea. But, after the day I just had at work I think I will work on it tomorrow. Just want to hear some music I enjoy walkman.gif and no one arguing argue.gif. Watch for it tomorrow.

gettin-away
Aaediwen 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

/meek on
help! GAAK
/meek off

My cousin's wedding is in 6 hours, and he asked me yesterday, if Icould write something to recite. Well, I have something, now comes the part of actually reading it aloud. I thought it might make it easier if I tried to read it aloud a couple times before I left here, when there is noone in front of me. I couldn't do it in front of the mirror just a minute ago.

This will be the first time I have actually gotten up like this and read some of my work in public (not counting in front of class at school) The butterflies are already flapping.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh Aaedwen! I can relate to your butterflies! I am one of those people who are terrified of getting up in front of a group of people. But here is an opportunity for you to show your gift of writing and your friend must admire your work very much to have you share a part of yourself on his special day! Good job! thumbs_up.gif
Aaediwen 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Ok, I'm home and still rather intoxicated from the receptiion, which is causing me to have to retype half of this. The poem went over exceptionally well. Several members of both families absolutely loved it (I heard from the bride's family before I heard from those I had grown up with). My aunt told me that my cousin freaked out when I read it because I hit the nail so close on the head. Bride and groom both loved it, and I still managed to maintain my stance against writing about human relationships in my poetry.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Good job, Aaediwen! I was anxious to hear how it went and I thank you for sharing! That must make you feel good to know that people not only appreciated your writing, but that you touched the hearts of those of their most important day as well! beer_mug.gif thumbs_up.gif
Aaediwen 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 11:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

I was about to reply that you have no idea how good I felt by the reaction I recieved from my first public reading, but then as Irecall, you are teh one who posted about letting family select from your paintings, so maybe you do have an idea. Good vibes were flying all over the place tonight. My cousin's marriage, a litst of about 5 firsts for me, two second time experiences, and honest, rave reviews about my work. WOW, what a fun night smile.gif Think I'll sleep now =)

Mach spass
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 11:17 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

yeah, sharing a piece of me (my artwork) was more of a blessing than I had anticipated. They have all called me to tell me they proudly have all my pieces hung up in their living rooms!

Reading your piece of work to a crowd of people............wow! What a blessing to both you and others. And then having the same response must have given you a lot of affirmation of your talent! We all need affirmation from others of our gifts whether we want to admit we care or not. I know I do. artist.gif
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 24-Jan-2004, 02:46 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

Aaediwen,

I was wondering, was those Butterflies you were feeling or B-52's. wink.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]