Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Movies Have You Seen Recently?, Old and new
Catriona 
Posted: 04-Dec-2003, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

I love French cinema. During the Edinburgh Festival, a film festival is held at the same time.... I go to so many international films that might not make it to general release.

One of my absolute favourites is Jean de Florette - starring Yves Montand, Danie Arteuil (sp!) and Gerard Depardieu... Just a really superb film. I have it on video and watch it time after time.
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 05-Dec-2003, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Malibu's Most Wanted -- while the story line may be to deep for some tongue.gif
was actually quite hilarious

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 12:04 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

The movies I have seen recently are Mystic River directed by Clint Eastwood (This particular film was sort of dark and depressing, but I enjoyed the plot and Sean Penn's performance); Master and Commander, Far Side of the World (I really enjoyed this film, but was worried about my friend who couldn't follow to well because of the British expressions and accents. I love British films and television, so it was easy to follow along); Bruce Almighty (wasn't that great).

My all time favorite movies that I recommend are:

Schindler's List

Saving Private Ryan (I guess I like this one because it gave me a glimpse of what my grandfather went through during WWII. He served for three years---fighting in four theatres)

Braveheart (I know everyone has probably seen this one. Even though it is not totally historically accurate, I really enjoyed it)

Life's Wonderful---(It is an unlikely comedy set in WWII era in Italy. Pre-war: A Jewish man (played by Bernini (spelling??) who marries an Italian woman. Later they have a son. The Nazis eventually take him and his son Joshua to a consentration camp. The father plays a game of pretend to keep his son from realizing what is actually going on. The father is able to continue this until the end. It was surprisingly funny, heart warming and sad. It is in Italian, so you will have subtitles, but after a while you forget about it and enjoy the movie)

Lord of the Rings (First two films of the trilogy were awesome, and I can't wait for ROTK)

The Color Purple (old but a good film)

My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding---(This was a delightful comedy about a grown woman still living at home and unmarried with no children---and in a Greek family this is unheard of. I laughed so hard)

A Bronx Tale---(Robert De Niro plays a supporting role in this one. The actor who plays his son is the main character. This movie really surprised me. I really enjoyed it.)

It's A Wonderful Life---(by Frank Capra starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. It has become an American Classic and ritual---It is watched every Christmas Season by millions.)

Dead Poets Society---(Starring Robin Williams)

I can't think of any more at this time. Maybe when I have time to think I'll post them later.

I mostly watch documentries, especially the ones made by Ken Burns (I'm a history buff). I also watch a lot of the Discovery Channel, Masterpiece Theatre, Mystery, BBC television, and the A & E or Bravo Channel.

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

I watched the New Van Diesel Film " A Man Apart" . I really like his films.
Good movie too. Good action movie.

Then I watched for my birthday "Bruce Almighty". Oh my Gosh, I laughed so much...everyone should watch it...one of his better movies.

A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 05:50 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Annabelle! I have been dying to see Bruce Almighty. Heard it was really good and his best film ever. However, everytime I go to the video store, they are always out of it! sad.gif I'll get to see it yet....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I watched Dirty Dancing again, on Saturday. wink.gif

note.gif I'm having the time of my life! note.gif

maggiemahone1

PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Elspeth 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (single speed @ Nov 23 2003, 09:24 AM)

I'm more of a renter than a go to the movies type. That said, rent A Mighty Wind. It's a mockumentary of folk music, in the vein of This is Spinal Tap. It was produced by Christopher Guest (a hero to geeks everywhere), and has the same Spinal Tap cast. Besides being a hilarious movie, the music is fantastic! Get both movies and make it a double feature.

T. smilie_osx.gif

Spinal Tap! biggrin.gif
That is one of my husband's favortie films to quote.... But... it goes to eleven. laugh.gif

We are renters too. Have seen alot of movies over the last few months.
Finally saw Amadeaus. Loved it. The music had me enthralled. I do the laugh to drive my husband nuts.
We just watched Space Cowboys. I thought the characterization awesome. Those old guys cracked me up.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (Siusaidh Blues @ Dec 1 2003, 11:51 AM)
Its a beautiful movie, quite good as far as the story too, but very sad. And I guarantee you'll never see a real cannon again without going 'ewwww'....

(And if there are any Harry Potter movie fans here, Malfoy's daddy is the baddie in this one)

THANK YOU !!!!!

When we saw Harry Pottter last year it drove me crazy all through the movie where I had seen him before!
Now I know and I can rest my tortured brain!
Elspeth 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Nov 28 2003, 04:14 PM)
Loved the movie, Tombstone! I loved Val Kilmer in it.

Val Kilmer's performance in Tombstone was beyond any Ocsar performance before seen. He left me speechless. (and that ain't easy) biggrin.gif
He played such a depraved character and yet his devotion to his friend was beyond what most would ever consider. What's the scripture? I know I'm paraphrasing - Greater love hath no man that he be willing to lay down his life for his friends. After the river scene, when Doc Holliday leaves cover in the middle of the gun battle to stand next to Wyatt, and the others are asking Doc why he did it. Doc's answer was Wyatt is his friend. The other guy says - hell I've got a lot of friends and Doc answers - I don't. I found that scene so moving.

OK, stopping now, but there are parts of that movie that are way beyond excellent.
Elspeth 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Nov 28 2003, 04:21 PM)
I do like John Wayne but the only movie I like with Elvis was "Flaming Star"

When I was a teenage I watched that movie three times on one weekend! I really got caught up in it. Suprise you Brother R?

Can you tell I am finally reading this thread? biggrin.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Dec 9 2003, 09:43 AM)
Val Kilmer's performance in Tombstone was beyond any Ocsar performance before seen. He left me speechless. (and that ain't easy) biggrin.gif
He played such a depraved character and yet his devotion to his friend was beyond what most would ever consider. What's the scripture? I know I'm paraphrasing - Greater love hath no man that he be willing to lay down his life for his friends. After the river scene, when Doc Holliday leaves cover in the middle of the gun battle to stand next to Wyatt, and the others are asking Doc why he did it. Doc's answer was Wyatt is his friend. The other guy says - hell I've got a lot of friends and Doc answers - I don't. I found that scene so moving.

OK, stopping now, but there are parts of that movie that are way beyond excellent.

Elspeth! I have the movie Tombstone and you just reminded me of one of my favorite scenes in there. It's been awhile since I watched it, but now you got me wanting to get it out and watch it again! I thought he deserved an Oscar for his performance too, but oh well. There are a lot of actors out there that are overlooked for their performances. It seems like the more popular you are, the award goes to you. Like Julia Roberts. I just don't get it. I mean she is a good actress and has a great smile. And her best movie was Erin Brockovich, but she is the same in all her movies. There are other actors out there that are more deserving, me thinks! Just my tupence! smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

I loved Val Kilmer in Tombstone and imitate him all the time the line - "Why (insert anyones name who happens to be handy here) does this mean...that we...awa no longa friens ?"
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Elspeth 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 9 2003, 03:11 PM)
I loved Val Kilmer in Tombstone and imitate him all the time the line - "Why (insert anyones name who happens to be handy here) does this mean...that we...awa no longa friens ?"

My sister likes to quote...
Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.
Annabelle 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Well I just finished Pirates of the Caribean. Wonderful movie! Johnny Dep did such a terrific part in the movie.
Anyone else watch this?
Annabelle frusty.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Miss Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom - NO WAY cool.gif
I made sure I saw it, in the theater, nice big images to droll over.
I love Johnny Depp as an actor. He's like Val Kilmer, no two roles are ever the same.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]